1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Murray may be key to winning Sunday night...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Arkyvarminter, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,428 Messages
    6,125 Likes Received
    How has our rushing effectiveness under Murray the last several weeks compared with our rushing effectiveness prior to his return? Do the stats reveal anything interesting by any chance? Or do they just show that we're passing more effectively with him in the lineup?
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,742 Likes Received
    I think if you just look at the amount of turnovers via the passing game– they were headed way down before Murray stepped back onto the field. That in itself was a big-time help.
  3. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,346 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    The #1 key to this game is how we are able to pass vs. blitz pressure. If the OL doesn't hold up and/or the QB/WRs aren't on the same page with hot reads and such, we're dead. If we're able to pass them out of blitz pressures early, we're golden.

I fully expect Haslett to come after this OL and Romo not wanting to give the WRs and TEs time to attack with intermediate and longer routes.
  4. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is some facts that I know are true..
    We are 0-3 in games passing for 400 yards.. we are 3-1 in games rushing for 100. People talk about "you can't keep running if you are not successful." The Saints ran it for what 2.8? 2.9? yards per carry yesterday? But they STILL RAN IT THIRTY EIGHT TIMES!! To me that says SMART coaches keep running it even if they aren't getting big yards.. Because they know how important it is.. Take away the one long run by Sproles and they are under 2 yards per carry dude.. But they STILL KEPT AT IT!!! Watch the games.. the evidence is clear.. Smart teams keep running it no matter the results.. Period. I watch the games and make my own conclussions...Was ready to let it at that ,but I an going to get more facts that support what i feel is right
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,428 Messages
    6,125 Likes Received
    Why do people struggle so much with the difference between 'rushing' and 'rushing effectively' and 'passing' and 'passing effectively'?
  6. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,642 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    The Saints didn't really run the ball effectively. But they still had the ball for like 40 minutes or whatever it was. We can't win games allowing the other teams to have the ball for that much time. That is really the key thing about saying Murray is the key. He is an element that can keep our offense on the field longer. That is a good thing with our defense the way it is right now.
  7. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure , but here are some more facts...

Every time we won we ran the ball more than 20 times except the ravens game ,and that came down to a missed field goal

Every time we lost we passed more than 40 times, except the games where we ran more than 20 times ...those we won...You can't get anymore cut and dry than that

Also those facts are true no matter who started as running back
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Facts are such a demon on this board.
  9. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    People don't understand that if a defense knows you are going to stick with the run no matter what it affects the way the defense plays you and will actually help your passing game...They actually think that if we would have passed it those 11 times instead of running the ball we would have won
  10. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,952 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Teams that are already winning have the luxury to keep running it. They don't win because they keep running it, they build a lead because they pass more effectively than their opponent, and that allows them to keep running it late in games. Teams that don't pass more effectively than their opponents fall behind and don't have the luxury to "keep running it." If you're down by two scores in the fourth quarter and stubbornly keep running the ball, you're pretty much just guaranteeing that you'll lose.

All of this has been proved time and again.
  11. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,952 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Time of possession has more to do with converting on third downs than it does with how much you run or pass. If you go run-run-run-punt, you're not going to keep the ball as long as you would by driving down the field and converting on third downs.

The Saints were 11-of-19 on third downs (and got a free fourth-down conversion). We were 2-of-10 on third downs. That was the big difference.
  12. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about if we go by what the score is in the beginning of the 3rd quarter and how many times we actually ran it in the 3rd quarter...I don't know off hand what the numbers actually are , but I have a feeling that in most of our losses we were pretty close or tied and barely ran the ball...Tell me again that going by what I feel and what actually happened are 2 different things,and I will investigate and give you the results
  13. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It will take more time off the clock than ...Pass-pass-pass-punt...

I do agree tha we don't have to run every single play to burn the clock ...We could do more screens , slants ,and high percentage passing plays, but abandoning the run because your not getting 5ypc is rediculous