1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Muslim Youth Violence in Danish Cities Continues for 6th Night

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Feb 17, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Groups of youths torched schools and cars in a sixth consecutive night of violence across Denmark, mostly in immigrant neighborhoods, police said Saturday. Forty-three people were arrested.

The spate of vandalism started last weekend and some believe it intensified with the reproduction of a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad in Danish newspapers Wednesday.

The unrest spread across Denmark, with youths torching dozens of cars and buildings and lobbing rocks at police and firefighters in Copenhagen, Aarhus, Ringsted, Slagelse and other cities, officials said.

"There's been a lot of vandalism — they've set fire to cars, garbage containers and in some cases buildings," Deputy National Police Commissioner Michael Hoejer said. "The good news is that we've made a lot of arrests."

Hoejer said most of those arrested were teenagers, and some have since been released.

Police said they were not sure what triggered the unrest. Some observers said immigrant youths were protesting against perceived police harassment, and suggested the reprinting of the cartoon may have aggravated the situation.

More than a dozen Danish newspapers on Wednesday reprinted a cartoon that sparked massive protests in Muslim countries two years ago — a gesture of solidarity after police revealed an alleged plot to kill the cartoonist.

The reproduction of the prophet cartoon sparked protests and anger in many Muslim countries since Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet, even favorable, for fear it could lead to idolatry.

On Friday, hundreds of protesters in Pakistan set fire to Danish flags and demanded the Danish ambassador's expulsion, while Bangladesh on Saturday condemned the decision to publish the cartoon.

"We fail to understand how hurting the sentiments of a billion Muslims can advance the cause of freedom of expression," the Foreign Ministry said. "It can only spur resentment that can be destabilizing."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330911,00.html
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,693 Likes Received
    Makes me think that a lot of Muslims are very insecure abou their faith if so little sets them off. Look at all the garbage every other faith puts up with; why should THEY get any special treatment?
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,899 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    That's not the point. You are dealing with a very primitive mindset. Like barbarians of old, worshiping false gods and pillaging villages. The crazy thing nobody realizes is that if you study the old testament, God always used these types to exact His judgment on the disobedient children of Israel.

I'm beginning to wonder if what we are seeing today isn't a type and shadow of just that. The true Israel of God today, the people of faith, are leaving God. We don't even want to have kids anymore because it's not convenient. That alone is a gross perversion of the 1st commandment, be fruitful and multiply (In the garden.) Now I know that commandment isn't just about having children but being ever creative and excelling in everything you do, but judgment begins at the house.

God is raising up these barbarians to do just that. Look at how they are multiplying. Their beliefs are primitive but many of the core values are similar. Their quiver is definitely more full of arrows than most Christians, doesn't God give life? Alignment with God is what commands a blessing or a curse (judgment.) We are off track as a whole but all we see is what the barbarians are doing instead of what we aren't doing. It's time for the people of faith to humble themselves and pray, not just lay me down to sleep, but really seek His face. I'm the most guilty...
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,693 Likes Received
    Sadly, today if you are devout and very religious, you are treated with contempt by the media, hollywood and most of the so called "elites".
  5. CowboyFan74

12,899 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Religious and aligned with God can arguably be 2 different things. Nobody wants somebody pointing their finger in your face kinda religion, they want results, blessings, and liberty from whatever is oppressing them...
  6. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I see the religion of peace has struck again.:rolleyes:
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I wonder if you could paint the Muslims with an even broader brush?
  8. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,291 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    This article is strange. It points out that the police are unsure of the the cause, although it mentions harrassment as a seemingly the primary reason, and the republishing of the cartoons as an inciting catalyst.

Although I don't agree with violence as a response, I can see the rationalization for such a reaction. These type of articles try to paint a picture as if people live in a vacuum and that these are unwarranted actions and not reactions. Also, the reaction had nothing at all to do with some fear that it may lead to idolatry.

They knew what the response was for the first time, and yet they decided to reprint the cartoons once again and expected any less of a response in kind? What these youth see is racial and religioius profiling going on in their neighborhoods, and the publishing of cartoons that only enhance such a percpetion "in the name of free speech", the same free speech that isn't allowed in countries such as France if you question the Holocaust, which not only exemplifies its hypocrisy, and only serve to further separate the gap between East and West as if they don't even consider another people's cultural and religious sensitivies on the same level as their own.

Are actions any more barbaric because they use brute force as opposed to indoctrination of the mind?
  9. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You seem to be stretching it a bit here. He did say a lot of Muslims and not all. Considering the ridiculously large number of people acting up over something as silly as a cartoon, burm has a valid point.

For it to have reached such levels of violence and unrest pretty much says a lot about a lot of Muslims.
  10. zrinkill

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    About as broad as you paint Christians.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I think that is only true when people try to push religion into areas it shouldn't be. Namely, schools and the government.
  12. CowboyFan74

12,899 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Last I checked brain washing vs blowing stuff up isn't a crime while the latter clearly is.;)
  13. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Nah.

Its only when you use religion to justify denying aspects of society certain rights that the religious folk get looked down upon.

I have no problem with devout religious people.....so long as they don't try and push their crap on to me....

And I say this as a confirmed Christian.....
  14. AbeBeta

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    actually, when I talked about Christian, I spoke specifically about the religious right and noted that several times in my posts. But I certainly don't expect reading comprehension from the sub-literate
  15. zrinkill

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    So you cannot understand what you write?
  16. AbeBeta

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I think the point that many people miss is that the cartoon is the spark but really not at all the issue -- do you really think the LA Riots were about Rodney King? Focusing on the cartoon trivializes the situation.

Danish Muslims face many of the same issues as most immigrants -- unemployment, lack of access to higher education, high crime rates in their neighborhoods. Rioting certainly is not a solution to these problems but it is absolutely not just about a cartoon.
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I might have found that legitimate had the reaction been isolated to the Netherlands, (like the France riots, which were truly for that reason) but that during the initial phase of the whole mess, when they were first printed, attacks and riots were going on in Pakistan; people were being assaulted in Gaza and Saudi Arabia. It caused an international squabble, with Mid East nations even recalling ambassadors.

The problem extends beyond the downtrodden of certain immigrants and touches more on a deeper problem.

Theo Van Ghoh didn't get killed because of an immigration spat, he was killed because of a completely unreasonable ideology; one that seems to think the entire world should acclimate itself to it's obstinate lack of reason.

At the heart of both incidents - and many others - exists the same seed of irrational thinking. It may not be all Muslims, but it's the most prominent feature of their people as a characterization. If they want to be characterized in a more positive light, it can only be achieved in one way: with honest self evaluation and internal change.
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received