1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Must plays on PS3/360 before moving onto Next Gen

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by BigStar, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Hey fellow Cowboy Gamers,

What is your list for the "must plays" of the last generation. I'm one of the cheapskates holding out so figured I would get a feel for other poster's opinions of their favorite games from this last generation? List as many as you feel, all genres accepted :)

Personal Favs:

Max Payne 3
    GTA 5
    Killzone series
    Battlefield 3
    Infamous series
    Far Cry 3
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,488 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    All of the half-life games(xbox). My favorite series......
  3. BigStar

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received

Yeah loved Half Life on PS2 back in the day, nice one
  4. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,652 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - Bout the best game I've played. Almost like an interactive movie, just pure awesome cinematography with solid gameplay.

Battlefield 3 - Best FPS since Battlefield 2, which was the best since Battlefield Vietnam.

God of War 3 - Just all around awesome game and storyline. Didn't get to play GoW:Ascension, but that might be here too.

Batman: Arkham Asylum, City, and Origins
    - wrapped them all together here, every single one of them was amazing.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - Everything you love about GTA games, only better. HUGE step up from GTA4. Introduced Trevor, one of the best characters ever created (lol).

Those are the only ones I can think of that stand out.
    BigStar likes this.
  5. BigStar

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received

I have to really give the Batman series another chance I don't know why it hasn't grabbed me as I expected. I just felt I was constantly looking up youtube videos to get thru the game and I know that is a bad sign of enjoyability, for ME anyway. I haven't played MGS 4 at all so will pick that up on the cheap, the emphasis on the story actually scared me away initially with the required lengthy-ish cut scenes. Seems like it was a love or hate game by most but will definitely pick it up. Thanks for the effort/input.
  6. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,483 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Pretty much anything by Bethesda
    BigStar likes this.
  7. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,817 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Mass Effect series if you haven't
    BigStar likes this.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,222 Messages
    1,947 Likes Received
    Borderlands 2.

Any of the Batman series.
    BigStar likes this.
  9. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,689 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    To add to what has already been mentioned

The last of us
    Demond's souls
    Dark Souls
    Red Dead Redemption
    Bioshock
    BigStar likes this.
  10. KoRnyBrad

KoRnyBrad I am the Bat!

241 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Batman Series
    God War series is good to.

I'm waiting to. Prices go down, bug get fixed, etc.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,483 Messages
    129 Likes Received

Demon/Dark souls is such a great series can't wait for dark 2!
    BigStar likes this.
  12. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,840 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I've been really enjoying Rocksmith 2014. Although, it's a bit less of a game and more like guitar lessons in video game form.

I've been playing for a few days now and I'm definitely learning. My fingers are really sore though.
    KoRnyBrad likes this.
  13. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,689 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Dark souls 2 is the main reason i am waiting to buy a PS4, if i play that anywhere near as much as i did and still do dark souls it would just sit in my house collecting dust
  14. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,652 Messages
    143 Likes Received

Yeah MGS4 is definitely not for everyone. There is literally like a 48 minute cut scene a little over halfway through that game. It's the only game I can think of that actually lets you PAUSE during cut scenes. The game play is good and with like 5 different difficulty settings you can make it as easy or hard as you want. And the gameplay/cut scenes blend flawlessly. What I like a lot about the game is if you really want to, you can play it sort of like a third person shooter, killing everything with a HUGE variety of weapons, or you can choose to beat the entire game without killing or being seen by a single enemy (outside of boss fights and cut scene events etc). I always preferred to play it sorta realistically, as in how I think a single person would really attempt to handle the mission, a mix of sneaking/killing when needed. Had a good replay value for me as there are some really nice unlocks depending on how you beat the game.

As for Arkham series.. I was never a *huge* batman buff, and I never liked any Batman games before Arkham City, but the game blew my mind. It has what I think is the best Melee Combat system ever created, and I really hope more games start using variations of it 'cause it's amazing. After Arkham City I went back and got Asylum, loved it, and then got Origins when it came out and loved it too, though it felt really short.
    BigStar likes this.
  15. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    GTA V
    RDR
    Uncharted series
    Fallout 3 and Vegas
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim
    Hitman Absolution

I'm looking to play these which I hear good things about

God of War
    Infamous
    Dead Space
    Dishonored
  16. BigStar

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received

I don't know how I missed Bio Infinite and Dishonored on my initial list. Those are two of my favorite story driven games in this generation; especially Dishonored because of the flexability with your gameplay.
  17. BigStar

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received

I've heard good things about Dark/Demon's Souls and will scoop it; action/rpg? I like action/rpg's but not so much Skyrim level rpg's, etc.
  18. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,689 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Yes, very oldschool not easy at all but so satisfying when you finally master it.
  19. BigStar

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    When you say not easy, do you mean difficult combat (preffered) or fetch missions to build up to stuff, etc?
  20. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,689 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Combat and bosses, there's no fetch missions or anything like that in the games.