1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Must win, no win situation for Tony

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dfense, Dec 25, 2012.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    My goodness man -- Romo is 32 years old. He's had his whole career to shine. It hasn't happened in the post-season for whatever reason.

This is his chance. Great QBs often have to put the team on their back. Romo has the chance to prove all the detractors wrong -- let's cross our fingers that he does.
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,171 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    Unfortunately it will be his fault. I just saw on our favorite network ESPN they asked Adam Schefter and Merril Hoge what this game means to Romo and both said this is the most important game of his career and if he wins a lot of the questions about his playoff record and failures in December/division clinching games will go away but if he loses those questions will still be there.

It is very unfair but I also sort of agree because at some point Romo is just going to have to win these games to shut these people up whether it's his fault or not. The coaching staff and the rest of the team really need to do their job to the max come Sunday night to help Romo. It's almost like this has gone on long enough and it's time for others to step up like they did against Cincy and Pittsburgh and not rely on Tony to bail us out.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    What Romo does as far as "putting the team on his back" has no effect on the incompetence of the defense.

IT's a TEAM game. The TEAM has to do it, not just Romo.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Again, it's a TEAM game. The COWBOYS have to win the game, not just Romo.
  5. perrykemp

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I don't disagree, however, Romo can play better. Romo is part of the reason why this team is only 8-7 and fighting for a playoff spot. He was off early in the season. He's been lights out the past 5-6 weeks.

A QB playing flawlessly can wipe out <ALMOST> all flaws in a team.

This week and the following weeks in the playoffs is Tony's chance to perform lights out.
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,171 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    You aren't getting the point. The media doesn't care if it's a TEAM game and some of us fans even though we realize it's a team game, the qb has to step up to make sure his team wins. There have been times where the team has helped out Romo and he hasn't helped the team out. let's not act like he can do no wrong. It's unfair but that's the reality of Romo's situation right now.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Couldn't disagree with that more. Romo's play has NO effect on our pass rush, run D, coverage, or special teams units. ZERO.

Ah I've never cared what the media thinks. Why do you? Why does anyone? They're journalists (I use the term loosely), not football experts. If I want their opinion on a term paper I have to do I'll care about their opinion. In regards to the sport of football? Not so much.
  8. perrykemp

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    It <is> possible for a team with a quarterback playing flawlessly even if the rest of the team sucks -- witness Aaron Rodgers last who managed 15 wins despite no running game and the 2nd worst defense in the entire history of the NFL. Of course, in the two games where Rodgers had average days, they lost.

My point is, you cannot say Romo didn't have some part to play in the 8-7 record the Cowboys now are dealing with. He did. He played fall less than flawlessly in the 1st half of the season.
  9. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,724 Messages
    963 Likes Received
    Someone finally gets it. It's been happening for years, this theory didn't just start this year.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,405 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    Romo is going to have to be on. The defense is going to have to find a way to stop them a few times, get turnovers, or make some big plays maybe on STs to win this game.

They have to stop the run and at least make Griffin throw the ball. Perhaps he'll throw a pick or three. I don't know how they'll do stopping the run. They have to contain the outside run as well. Difficult job to do esp with Ware hurt and rent-a-ILB.
  11. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    I dont know what it was that it has finally clicked with Tony, but for the past month, he has been playing at an elite level.

He can not have the relapse many expect him to have. Tony has to continue playing smart football, making the clutch throws, eliminating the turnovers and he has a chance to start changing the perception of him.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Their defense sucked, but they at least forced turnovers.

Too bad you aren't that person.

Not saying Romo's play is irrelevant, but he's only a small part of the equation. It's the ultimate TEAM sport. The pass rush, run d, coverage, special teams, running game, wr's/te's, AND QB all have to do their part to come away with a win.
  13. perrykemp

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    You are right. They led the league in forced turnovers. I hadn't considered that point. Good catch.

Still -- that Packer defense was historically putrid.
  14. OriginalNameGuy

OriginalNameGuy Member

122 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The Boys could win it all and people would still find a way to say he stinks and isn't an elite QB.
  15. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    While I am one to absolutely agree that its a team game and alot of people forget that when assigning blame, we have seen some QBs play at a level that did basically carry their teams.

Sure the others guys have to do their jobs, but that QB made it so much easier for them that he 'put them on his back'.

The only way we have a shot this year at a ring is this type of performance from Romo. As they say, he will have to play perfect football.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    No arguments from me, they were terrible. About as terrible as our walking wounded defense is right now. We really need our D to force a couple of turnovers to win the game IMO. They won't be forcing a lot of punts on sunday, but a pick or two would be nice.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I agree with that. What I'm saying is, if he DOESN'T play "perfect" and we lose, it won't necessarily be his fault. Our OL is still bad (2 solid games in a row, let's see if they make it 3), our D is completely battered, etc... people can't expect much from this TEAM in it's current state, regardless of who the QB is.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    I agree. I think he has matured. I don't know if this erases the "choker" label if he doesn't win. But I think he's come a long way, and that's pretty evident from my perspective.
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    I think we need to retire this phrase. Some of the people labeling Romo a choker are NFL players and former NFL players. Do they not know football?

Obviously, they do.

I think they know the intangible aspects of football, and that's probably what they're looking at when they say that about Romo.

However, intangibles are just that. It's a quality you can't put your finger on. It's not solid.

If a player has that view about Romo, I'm not going to say he's wrong. But I don't necessarily have to buy it either because it is an intangible. It's kind of like a gut feeling. Your gut feeling isn't necessarily my evidence. :)
  20. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,788 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    I know you've been one of his harshest critics but from now on I will always respect your comments on him good or bad knowing you're fair. I think there are some fans however who just do not like him regardless of his play and would never write a post like that which I will never understand.

Thanks for that.