1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My 1st Mock Draft Ever....Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyDan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Here's what I see happening in Rd. 1....how about you?

1st Round
    1. Panthers - Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson. He was an absolute beast in college, and Ron Rivera is the new Carolina coach.....he is a defensive minded guy. It's hard to pass up the possibility of an outstanding pass rusher if you're a defensive minded coach. They avoid QB with this pick because they still have 2 young QBs with potential.

2. Broncos - Patrick Peterson CB LSU. With the aging of Champ Bailey, and his willingness to move to Safety, the Broncos will tap Peterson with the #2 pick. Champ can mentor Peterson on the finer points of being a top notch NFL corner. Orton is still their starting QB. Tebow gets one more year to prove his ability, until he becomes a tight end.

3. Bills - A.J. Green WR Georgia. Despite the speculation that they will go after Cam Newton, they have their QB in Fitzpatrick. What they need is a viable receiver opposite Lee Evans, and AJ is a star in the making.

4. Bengals - Cam Newton QB Auburn. Palmer's not coming back, so they're better off trading him to Arizona, San Fran or Minnesota, and acquiring someone for Cam to throw to. Cam's off the field issues fit perfectly with Cincy's ethical standing.

5. Cardinals – Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri. Unless they acquire Palmer from Cincy, they need to go QB here, and Blaine Gabbert is a great fit in their system. Larry Fitzgerald is a happy boy on Draft Day.

6. Browns – Marcell Dareus DT Alabama. They lost Sean Rogers, and they replace him with Marcell Dareus. He will split time with Rubin and be a disruptive force for years to come.

7. 49ers – Nick Fairley DT Auburn. Though they desperately need a QB, they lose out on one in the 1st round, as Cam and Blaine are already gone. It’s too far of a reach to go after Jake Locker, so unless they trade down, they can’t afford to pass up on Fairley. He’ll help them get more pressure on opposing QB’s.

8. Titans – Julio Jones WR Alabama. They finished 27th in the league in yards last season, and it wasn’t Chris Johnson’s fault. They need to stretch the field, and they tried to get that by acquiring Moss. It didn’t happen. They try again with Julio Jones.

9. Cowboys – Nate Solder OT Colorado. Many mocks have the Cowboys taking Prince here, but with Newman, Jenkins and Scandrick still on the team, + a plethora of CB/S types like AOA & McCray, I don’t see it happening. At 6’8” 319lbs, Solder is a massive tackle. He played 2,540 out of a possible 2,542 plays on offense his sophomore through senior seasons; of those, exactly 1,400 were called passing plays, and he allowed just five sacks those three years. He played Left Tackle at Colorado, but it is unlikely that he will be allowed to protect Romo’s blindside as a rookie. Look for him to compete with Columbo at RT and Davis at RG as a rookie.

10. Redskins – Von Miller OLB Texas A&M. Though they need a QB, they can’t believe that Von Miller has slipped this far to them. He will be a great counterpart to Orakpo on the opposite side of the D-Line.

11. Texans – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska. They’ve got the offense, but they’re defensive secondary is in dire need of repair. Prince will help out immediately.

12. Vikings – Jake Locker QB Washington. A reach pick? Yes, but they need a QB to take advantage of the receivers and the A-Train before their window of opportunity closes, in 3-4 years. The defense is there, the offense is only missing 1 piece.

13. Lions – J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin. The Lions were 24th against the run last year. J. J can help them change that. He’s constantly in the backfield and has a motor that just doesn’t quit.

14. Rams – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin. Sticking with the Badgers theme, Gabe Carimi will help protect Sam Bradford and clear some running lanes for Stephen Jackson next year. I expect big things from Bradford this year, and that will pick up the offensive numbers across the board.

15. Dolphins – Mike Pouncey C Florida. They keep Pouncey in Florida and he helps bolster an O-line that was decimated by injury last season. He’s incredibly athletic, so don’t consider him limited to just Center.

16. Jaguars – Robert Quinn DE UNC. He’s a steal at #16 and Jack Del Rio is never one to pass up on a great pass rusher. Look for Quinn to have a solid rookie season in the Jacksonville system.

17. Patriots (from Raiders) – Cameron Jordan DE Cal. The Pats were horrible against the pass last season, and one way to improve that stat is with a good pass rush. Cam Jordan can provide that. Plus Bill B always takes the best player available (even if it’s back to back TE’s) and Cam is that player at #17.

18. Chargers – Mark Ingram RB Alabama. The Chargers have finally found their legitimate fulltime replacement for LaDanian Tomlinson.

19. Giants – Jimmy Smith CB Colorado. The secondary in NY was regularly torched last season. Look for them to go after Smith in an effort to stop the bleeding.

20. Buccaneers – Aldon Smith DE. The Bucs struggled to stop the run last season. Aldon Smith is a beast against the run and the pass, so he will be a welcome help.

21. Chiefs – Corey Liuget DT Illinois. Their defense is middle of the pack against the pass and run, so Liuget will give them a little more push up the middle and help improve those ratings.

22. Colts – Anthony Castonzo OT B.C. The Colts know the importance of keeping Payton Manning upright.

23. Eagles – Tyron Smith OT USC. In true Eagles fashion, they get a steal with this pick. They need help on the O-Line and Smith scares away a lot of teams with his Saturday Surprise at the Combine. The Eagles swoop in and snag this monster at #23.

24. Saints – Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA. They struggled to stop the run last year and their linebackers are relatively mediocre and getting older. Ayers will fit in nicely.

25. Seahawks – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa. They lack pressure from the right side of the D-line. Clayborn can provide that pressure, and also stuff the run.

26. Ravens – Brandon Harris CB Miami. The Ravens would love some secondary help, and Harris is exactly that.

27. Falcons – Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple. The Falcons need some help on the D-line and Muhammad is the best Defensive End still on the board.

28. Patriots – Justin Houston OLB Georgia. The Pats stay on defense here, upgrading the LB position with the selection of Houston.

29. Bears – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State. Though he may be a reach, the Bears need to upgrade the O-line in order to keep Cutler upright.

30. Jets – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State. The Jets need to replace some missing/aging pieces on the D-line, and Heyward, the son of Iron Head, fits the Rex Ryan mold to a T.

31. Steelers – Benjamin Ijalana OL Villanova. It’s no secret that the Pitt O-line failed to protect Big Ben last season. Ijalana will help bolster up that line.

32. Packers – Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue. The Packers will add depth to an already impressive D-line. Kerrigan allows them to keep the starters fresh…which is a scarey thought.

There it is folks. Let me know your thoughts.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I would strangle someone if we took Solder, but with the way this team draft offensive linemen, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Good effort overall, full round mocks are hard.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    Get your kevlar and flak jacket on...I doubt too many would like us Picking that OT at that spot.
  4. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    That's fine, I welcome criticism. I'm hoping we get Prince, but I'm not convinced that we will take him. This is what I think will happen with each team.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think we will draft if we do not draft Prince Amukamara? And if we do draft him, is he the #3 CB?
  5. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Just a few things:
    1. Tyron Smith will not fall that far
    2. The Chargers will not take another RB in the 1st after trading up for Matthews last year.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    If we stay where we are (meaning we do not move up for Peterson or down for more picks)...I think we will see one of the following for players taken...

JJ Watt
    Cam Jordan
    T. Smith (OT from USC)
    Prince - and I really don't think they want prince but might settle for him.

Now that is if Fairley, Dareus and Von Miller are already off the board.

If we don't trade up for Peterson and a few players don't somehow drop to us...I think we move down and I think moving down would be the right move.

I think you could probably get your pick of OTs if you moved down some with the possible exception of T.Smith.
  7. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    You may be right on both accounts. However, I think I made a good case for Tyron falling that far, based team needs and the fact that the OTs picked ahead of him are "safer" character picks.
    I also think that the Chargers will deal Sproles, as they didn't commit to him last year when they had a chance, after sending LT packing. Matthews is nice, but he missed significant time last year. If Ingram's still there, I think Norv takes him.
  8. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I wasn't going to try to speculate on teams trading up and down, though you and I both know that there's no way every team will pick in their respective spots. So setting trades aside, and assuming that everyone stays put, I already explained my position on Prince. I want him, but I'm not sure they do. I don't think they're going after a D-lineman in RD 1, maybe RD 2, but we were actually pretty good against the run last year, so LBs and DEs our out of RD1 in my opinion. That eliminates Watt, Jordan & Miller. Hell, they didn't even grant Miller and interview, so nix him. And I don't see Dareus or Fairley making it to us. That leaves us with Smith, who is a beast no doubt, but I just have a feeling that the Saturday Surprise rubbed a lot of GMs and Coaches the wrong way. We'll see.
  9. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    No thank you.
  10. NeonDeion21

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    I would take Von in this mock.
  11. pacy

pacy 82 WITTEN 82

226 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I can´t help it. I know it isn´t a need position but damn I wan´t Ingram so bad.
    I wan´t a every down RB. Screw that 3 headed monster we got.

Won´t happen I know. :(
  12. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    That's fine, but who do you want?
  13. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Good player, but aren't you a bit concerned that they didn't even grant him an interview? I know he was "bummed out" by it.
  14. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Never say never. Jerry's a wheeler and dealer, and there's always the Sabin connection to JG.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    They said they would see him at their Pro Day (when the Cowboys invite select players to Valley Ranch).
  16. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    Next time you have a extreme desire for an every down back. Go look at Mark's number of carries per game average with Alabama...you might just change your mind. :cool:
  17. NeonDeion21

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    They have only so many interviews available during the Combine. My best guess is that our scouts already know what kind of kid he is and that they dont feel the need to "waste" an interview on him.
  18. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Good points. I wouldn't mind him at all.
  19. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He's going to be invited to the Cowboys Pro Day, as I mentioned a few posts ago.
  20. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Woops, missed that. Good news. Do you think a #9 OLB pick should be able to start right away?