1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

My big trip with Newt

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Just found out some great news that I thought those here in the Political Zone might appreciate.

One of my clients is doing a documentary on Reagan and is going to be filming in Europe later on this month and they invited me to tag along on the trip!

The group I'm going with -- which will include Newt Gingrich as he is "hosting" the documentary -- will be visiting Point Du Hoc in Normandy, France; then go to Gdansk, Poland where we're interviewing Lech Walesa; and finally traveling to Prague, Czech Republic where we're meeting Vaclav Havel.

Should be an amazing experience! I'll try to post some pictures when I get back.
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Freaking AWESOME DW.

Wow! I am JEALOUS. What a great opportunity for you bro.

/boggle

You can pick the mind of Newt for us while you are there.

Freakin wow. Can I go? I got the leave saved up. :D
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,402 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received
    That would be awesome.
  4. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to meeting Newt. I've "met" him before, just at conference receptions and things like that, but hopefully I'll have a good chance to really chat with him since we'll be spending 5 days in relatively close proximity in a fairly small group.

Believe me, you're like the 30th person who's wanted to stow away in my luggage. My wife is already giving me a hard time because I can't bring her, and everyone else at the office here is dropping not-so-subtle hints that they want to go along.

It's going to be a whirl-wind trip, though. Three countries in 5 days. I'm thinking of skipping sleep altogether while I'm there just so I can get some sightseeing in between flights and other obligations.
  5. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :eek:

Wow! That's quite a trip.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Can you hire an attache` to go along?

If so, I'd like to apply for the job.

Congrats man.
  7. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Hey guys, back from Europe! Actually got back on Thursday, but have been catching up on my sleep since then. :D

It was a great trip. Got to chat with Newt quite a bit as we had some hour-plus bus rides around France and some great dinners in Normandy and Prague. He's a very nice guy and very down-to-earth.

Hard to say what his plans are for the future, but he clearly seems interested in staying very involved in the political process. He's very excited about the Drill Here Drill Now project and it seems to be getting great response.

We started in France where we drove from Paris to Normandy. On the first day, we took a tour of Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery there. It was incredibly moving.

This first picture is of me overlooking Omaha Beach there at the cemetery. As you walk down to the beach, you are allowed to freely walk through the various German tunnels and bunkers that still remain in the hillsides leading down to the beach!

[IMG]

Here's a picture of the graves at the cemetery. This is Teddy Roosevelt Jr.'s grave. He was the only general to land with the first wave of troops on D-Day.

[IMG]

Next day, we went to Pointe du Hoc, and filmed at the memorial there to the 2nd Ranger Battalion, who scaled the cliffs there and captured the German casements early on D-Day. This was the site of Reagan's speech on the 40th anniversary of D-Day.

Here's the German casement with the memorial on top and the cliffs in the background.

[IMG]

Here's a picture of Newt and I inside of the casement, looking out over the English Channel in the background. It was a moment I'll never forget... Truly the highlight of the entire trip.

[IMG]

Here I am standing next to the monument to the Rangers.

[IMG]

Next we flew to Gdansk, Poland, where we interviewed Lech Welesa. Here's a picture of Lech and myself.

[IMG]

Later in the day, we went to the Gdansk Shipyard, where the Solidarity movement was founded. This was the gate where many of the Solidarity protests were held.

[IMG]

After leaving Poland, we went to Prague where we met Vaclav Havel. We had a group picture with him, but it wasn't taken on my camera, so I'll have to wait to get that one.

The trip finished in Prague, and on the last night we had a great evening out. Here's one of my partners and I with Newt at dinner that evening.

[IMG]

Anyway, thought some of you all may be interested in seeing these. It was really the trip of a lifetime! We added it up afterwards and I think I only had about 16 hours of sleep over 5 days. :D
  8. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Many thanks for your post and pictures. Congratulations on a memorable trip. Now do something nice for your wife who didn't get to go.

:)
  9. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What a cool trip that was. Thanks for posting the pictures.
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You realize how jealous I am of you right now, don't you???

So, did you have that little convo we talked about???? :D
  11. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,059 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Forget that....

Is he a Cowboy fan?
  12. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    One of my neighbors was under General Teddy Roosevelt Jr. on that day DW. I'm going to show him your pictures. I will let you know what he has to say.
  13. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Teddy Roosevelt Jr.'s story is really interesting. He had already fought in WWI and was considered far "too old" at the age of 56 to be in the initial invasion. He had to petition to be a part of the landing and on D-Day he was the first man off his landing craft.

He died a few weeks later of a heart attack.

I have a ton more pictures that I'm going to put up on Flickr or something like that later on... I'll let you know when I get that up and running.

The whole time in Normandy was incredibly inspiring, to say the least.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,928 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    only sad part is you had spend a great European vacation with Newt Gingrich.

Pointe du Hoc and the cemetary/beaches is a great day trip to take when you are in Paris
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    Only sad thing is that those like canadian always have to try and make you feel bad about something you like. Pretty pathetic.
    Newt is so much smarter then Al Bore or just about the rest of the looney lefts so called smart guys its funny. I think canadian senses this and that makes him even madder.
  16. burmafrd

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    TR Jr was a very interesting guy. Unlike in Longest Day where he was portrayed by Henry Fonda, he was a little guy. Patton called him one of the bravest soldiers he had ever met(talk about praise from a high source!). Sadly TR was supposed to get command of the 90th Division under patton when he died.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

15,928 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    forgive me I think a guy who serves divorce papers on his wife who is in the hospital is not a guy with whom I would like to spend holiday time.
  18. burmafrd

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    And you know the whole story of course?
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

15,928 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    regardless of the whole story, serving your wife in a hospital is pretty low and even a newtisgod type like you has to admit that much
  20. burmafrd

43,045 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    Canadian since you do not belong in any american political discussion anyway I will be nice.
    I made the point to ask if you knew the whole story and of course you as usual spouted bs. You DO NOT know the whole story and therfore as is normal you just rant on. But then that is normal for you anyway.