1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Case Against Re-signing Spencer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think so. He fully admitted in an interview to mailing it in the 2010 season.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,779 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received
    I think that it is based on the contract that the player signs after he leaves. Spencer and Jenkins should get big contracts. The contracts that Felix, Butler and Phillips receive are probably not significant.

If the Cowboys sign Zero Expensive Free Agents this off-season, then they should get a decent comp pick in 2014.

If they sign 2 expensive Free Agents then it's doubtful that they will get any comp picks.

If they sign 1 expensive Free Agent then they might get a comp pick in 2014.
  3. xwalker

10,779 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received
    He didn't say that he was consciously mailing it in. He said that at some point, months later, he was reviewing film of practice or games and realized that the guy on film (himself) was not giving "110 percent".
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,170 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    My question, does he and Ware for that matter get paid as a DE now or an OLB? I seem to remember DEs as some of the highest paid players in football.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,665 Messages
    2,380 Likes Received
    I was wondering the same thing about the tag. Wasn't it Suggs who tried to argue he was a DE even though he played 34 OLB because the DE got paid more?

Either way, it does seem like it would be a sticky question. He's been a 34 OLB of course, but he'd undoubtedly be a 43 DE in the new scheme. I don't think the Cowboys would even try to argue otherwise.

Adam?
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    It's hard to go to the 4-3 without pass rushers, and Spencer is our second best. If we can find a better one than Spencer in FA, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I believe we need to franchise him again and see what he can provide as a DE. If he fails, we can let him walk next year.

Put the tag on him, look at available FAs while he waits to sign it and pull it if you sign a DE worthy of replacing him.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,438 Likes Received
    Ware will most likely just restructure his deal and move most of his base salary into a signing bonus to free up cap. Not get a new contract
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,170 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    My point is does Ware have a 20 sack season next year, which is likely if healthy, rushing the passer on every down. Does he want super Mario money? I sure would ask for it.
  9. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,404 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    I agree on most points.
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Fair enough. Thanks.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,314 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    I hope we can keep Spencer but it has to come at a cap friendly cost. I don't see him as a sign at all cost player but if a deal can be worked out to his satisfaction and to the team then I think it is a wise move to bring him back.

I don't see how creating more holes will help Dallas out at this time. We have other areas to focus on so in my view if a deal can be done then get it done.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Spencer goes on the market, your going to see a hell of a lot of teams banging on the door to pick him up.
  13. xwalker

10,779 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received
    Ware has 3 more years on his contract.
  14. xwalker

10,779 Messages
    3,504 Likes Received
    He is required to receive a 20% increase if he is tagged a 2nd time. This puts him at about 10.6M which is very close to the expected tag for DEs.

It's probably worth just Franchising him at 10.6M vs paying him about 8.5M per year in a long term contract. He would probably end up with less in the long run because he would be a 30 year old Free Agent next year.

His cap hit would be less with the long term contract, but they can play around with other contracts to make it possible. The easiest way to get salary cap relief in 2013, would be to stretch Romo's new contract out over a very long number of years.
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    I have no doubt we'll get picks. But a third is unlikely unless we are totally silent in FA which I doubt is the case given that we are bringing in a new D scheme and have several holes to fill. Honestly few of those other guys are going to bring much -- some like Jones and Phillips may even be back if they aren't getting love elsewhere
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,119 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Which is why he shouldn't hit the market. He should be tagged and shopped around, letting him hit the market only as a last resort.

You have a couple extra teams going to the 3-4, Spencer just came off a very good season.

His value is at an all time high.

I thought a strong finish to the season could get Dallas into the 3rd, maybe late 2nd range as far as a trade goes.

He finished stronger than I had thought and now with more teams going to the 3-4, you might be talking solid 2nd sneaking up around top of the round. I highly doubt you could get a first but for a team that just made the transition and who is picking in the top 10 they can use their 1st pick to take one of the top quality talents and then trade their 2nd rounder. If a team thinks Spencer can have a similar season, he would be worth the pick because you aren't likely getting that from a 2nd rounder unless you really have confidence in your scouting.

Tag and trade. I've been saying it for a while. It's a chance for Dallas to use the cap space on other positions, acquire a good pick and build the roster.

Under no situation should they simply tag him and let him play under it again.

You can get two good OL for that same cap hit which makes the entirety of the deal something like this....

Spencer Playing Tagged

Or

2 quality OL and a 2nd round draft pick..........possibly 2nd rounder. A draft pick nonetheless.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    unless we tag him right away he already is on the market for all intents and purposes.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Not making much sense there Burm
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,404 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    Shopped around? For what? No one trades for a guy with an expiring contract except the man with the false face.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,119 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Obviously the trade would be contingent on a deal being reached by Spencer and the other team.