1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My choices at #18

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Jan 3, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,754 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    My list at #18 is small:

Jonathan Cooper
    Chance Warmack
    Dion Jordan
    Trade down - I would love to add another pick but don't want to lose top 3 choices.

Reasoning:
    I would put Sheldon Richardson in the list but I don't want any hint of character issues at this pick.

DL - Only a player with big time pass rush ability. Too early for Ansah.

OLB - I don't completely trust either of the LSU guys.

OL - I don't see the possible OTs being that much better than some that will get drafted later.

Safety - Too early. Many options in the 2nd and later.

WR - This could be BPA at #18, but not by enough to justify it for the Cowboys.

ILB - Ogletree could be BPA at #18 but not by enough to justify it for the Cowboys.

QB - No!

RB, CB, TE - Too Early.

2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    I like Richardson the best but I think he will be gone. Of your three I'll take Jordan for the simple reason that he plays one of the four premium positions, pass rusher. Love to have any of the three though.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    You dont like Lewan? Although with Matthews out he is probably gone too because it is a premium position.
  4. xwalker

13,754 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    Lewan is solid, but I don't see him being a dominant type of player.

I think that Parnell is as talented as any OT in this draft. If they would have just benched Free at mid-season, it wouldn't even be a question at this point, IMO.

Lewan and Fisher are solid; however, some players projected to the 2nd round and later are not that far behind:

I think:
    Oday Aboushi and Dallas Thomas could start at LT as Rookies.
    Brennen Williams could start day-1 at RT.
    Lane Johnson could be a starting LT by 2014.

Some really talented guys will be there in the mid to late rounds:
    Luke Marquardt
    Terron Armstead
    Xavier Nixon
    Manase Foketi
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Walker I went back and watched some more games on Ensah and I agree with you that bowl game was an aberration.
    "Ezekiel has the natural strength to be a dominating defensive lineman for the team that drafts him. He has strong athletic abilities and has the foot speed that most linebackers would love to have coming out in any draft. He is excellent at shedding his block and making a tackle at the line of scrimmage." per the Huddle Report and I agree he is a NFL player now with just his Bull rush. He needs some more techniques to refine his game, and he plays from day 1 as well as Marcus Spears stopping the run with a ceiling of a much higher pick.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,136 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    I agree with you. Richardson would be the absolute perfect player for this team.
    Also agree on Jordan.
  7. xwalker

13,754 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    Good to hear your updated evaluation.

I think his upside could be a J.J.Watt type of 3-4 DE; however, is he is a risky pick.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    if we cannot get a real pass rusher at 18 then we need to trade down and then get the best Guard available.
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    18 is the perfect spot for Warmack. A steal
  10. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    it is perfect in your mind but he will be gone by 18
  11. xwalker

13,754 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    I would put that at about 50-50.

At this time last year most of the draft analysts had DeCastro as a top-10 pick. He ended up at #24.
  12. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    These are the same four guys that are on my radar in the first. I don't think that Richardson or Jordan will be there though. However, I would really consider trying to jump up to around 11 to draft Jordan. We will have to see how he tests out at the combine and everything, but he will test very well IMO. Can't really go wrong with Cooper or Warmack. I'm keeping my eye on Warford as well, he absolutely dominated Richardson when he played him.
  13. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I don't really care about Richardson's character issues. The only "character issues" that I think affect a player's career are his football intelligence/ability to learn the playbook and his work ethic. Players that drop for any other reason are just great values.

Of the remotely realistic players at 18, my list would be:

1. Jonathan Hankins
    2. Sheldon Richardson
    3. Dion Jordan
    4. Barkevious Mingo
    5. Ezekiel Ansah
    6. Chance Warmack

Trade down.

I think 18 is too high for Jonathan Cooper. I agree, as much as I'd love Kenny Vaccarro, there are just too many really good safeties in round 2.

We have zero need at corner and inside linebacker, if we like parnell no need at OT, not 1st round level need at wr, te, or rb.

So that leaves us with OLB, DE, NT, G, C, S. I'd take BPA from that list, or trade down.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,462 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    get the pash rusher early and the guard in the 2nd.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think Sheldon Richardson and Shariff Floyd are going to rise as we get closer to the draft. I think both have a chance to be dominant inside players in any scheme.
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    1. Hankins
    2. Lewan
    3. Richardson
    4. Fisher
    5. Warmack

Pretty much where I'm at as of right now....This is assuming Spencer is retained of course.
  17. xwalker

13,754 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    I like Warford also.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,553 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Depending on how things fall, I go safety in the 2nd and guard in the third. I think you can still get a good player there.
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    100% agree on both.
  20. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    1. Chance Warmack
    2. Johnathan Hankins
    3. Sheldon Richardson