1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My hypothetical "Melton is signed and Spencer resigned" mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Mar 2, 2014.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    .....Demarcus Ware is still on the team with a reduced salary as well.....This is a scenario that hasn't been discussed too much here. Everyone is doing mocks with the main focus of the 1st 3 rounds being d-line. Well what if Jerry decides to address it before the draft? Now obviously doing just that isn't a long term fix, but it would certainly make taking d line less of a necessity in the 1st 2 rounds.

1st Round- CJ Mosely MLB Bama- Very possibly BPA. Getting a talent like Mosley gives you the best chance to have your 11 most talented on defense at the same time. Furthermore it turns Sean Lee into a WIL where he could most likely be best suited and has a better chance of staying healthy. Mosely seems to have a very low bust factor to him as well.

2nd Round- Tre Mason RB Auburn- :eek: A RB in the 2nd?!?! If you calm down and think about it a second its really not a bad idea, especially with a kid that spent his Jr year breaking records set by Bo Jackson. If Linehan is really taking over he is going to want to continue to use 2 RB sets. This + Murray is injury prone and a FA after this year. Mason adds a dynamic aspect to our offense this year and takes over as the primary back next year.

3rd Round- Marcus Smith DE Louisville- Very high ceiling DE who can be brought along slowly while he adds a little bulk and learns the NFL game. Also is a good WDE pass rusher to keep Demarcus fresh and healthy throughout the season.

4th Round- Caraun Reid DT Princeton- I see Reid as an ideal 1 tech in Mareneli's scheme. Short stocky frame with the strength to hold his own against double teams, but also possess the burst to provide a push up the middle. Good value and a good addition to the DT rotation.

5th Round- Trai Turner OG LSU- Came out early before really making a name for himself, but did just that at the combine. Powerful and extremely quick for a G. Could easily push Mack for starting G spot right away.

*Trade 2 7th's for a 6th (I highly doubt we actually draft 3 7th rounders + our comp picks)*

6th Round- L'Damian Washington WR MIzzu- 6'4 with 4.4 speed. Good guy to develop

7th Round- Jonathan Dowling FS Western Kentucky- Interesting size and athletic combo

Now I'm sure pretty much will everyone hate my mock, but I'd like to see what everyone else would do in a situation where presumably 3 out of 4 d line spots are set for next year and Crawford, Bass, and Selvie are still there to rotate in as well.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,975 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    creative, but even if we keep Ware, re-sign Spencer and add Melton, that is the PERFECT time to also add DL into the mix; they need to apply pressure while also getting younger at the position...Ware and Spencer staying wreak of the restructure process that Dallas is fighting through (again guys taking up space); if I thought that Dallas would actually consider moving Lee to the Will, then I would be all for grabbing mosley, I just can't see them doing that...and while I like Mason a lot, I would hate to use a 2nd rounder on a RB...I also LOVE Chris Smith, so if Marcus isn't there, grab up chris!!!
  3. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,596 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I would take the whole scenario and mock draft except I'd like a OL, namely at least a OG. Also, I like the Baylor safety better in the later rounds
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Spencer isnt coming back. I seriously doubt Melton ends up here.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I'm on board with keeping an open mind to a RB in round 2. Even round 1 if there was an elite prospect, but there isn't this year.
  6. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I wouldnt be upset with Tre Mason......nor Gaffney
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,906 Likes Received
    I like all of the players, but I don't want to draft a 4-3 LB at #16. Rounds 2 through 7 are terrific.
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Who would you target at 16 without it being a 3 tech? I see Mosley, Martin, and Pryor/HaHa being the likely candidates to be available and CJ would be my personal #1 choice out of those 4.
  9. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

862 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Yeah what I like about gaffney is he is almost always putting up positive yards. Seems to fight after the first hit a lot.