1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My I Can't Wait to Find Out if Dez Was Really Arrested or Not Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I really liked Webb coming out of college would be a great pickup imho
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    No, it's really not. Because they didn't get into those positions on merit. Usually when a guy reaches the status of GM it's because he's had success evaluating talent in the scouting department. He's worked his way up through performance. He's earned his way.

It means nothing to me that they've been doing it for 18 years (I'm not pretending they made personnel evaluations during the Jimmy years, I know better). Because 1) they bought those positions and 2) they can't be fired.

So while a real GM not only must show the skill of team building prior to becoming a General Manager and must perform to keep that job, Jerry and Stephen never had to pay any dues, never had to show any ability and performance will never threaten their job security.

So what does their job title and length of term really mean? Not a thing.
  3. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    No, our guys play worse because we don't have a talent evaluator running this team which leads to a lack of talent and poor performance.

The owner craving the spotlight causes the situation I just described.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    spot on
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    And I will again counter with the input from Ciskowski, Judd Garrett, Williams, the scouts and the staff.

There is nothing about this team that is one guy pulling strings.
  6. fffiasco

fffiasco Active Member

762 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    would love this offseason but I think its unrealistic to acquire nicks landry and webb. it would be too pricey imo.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,470 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I don't understand why every mock has us drafting a TE.

Martin Rucker played pretty well in Pre-season. Phillips can be the 2nd TE. I'd rather use it on another CB. You have us drafting one in the 5th round, and signing Webb. We realistically need 3 CB's. That is only two, and I don't think we expect a ton from a 5th rounder for playing time.

Although I'd be very happy with the FA signings, I personally hope we bring Holland back. He actually played pretty well for the most part.

One last question, any word on if (S, UNC)Deaunta Williams will be healthy enough to play? I remember EVERYONE fawning over him last off-season but he went undrafted due to his injury. He'd be a really nice "give a look" type of FA signing since he can't re-enter the draft.
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,450 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    Hos to me this would be one of the absolute most successful offseasons ever. I'd love it if things shook out like this.
  9. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    But all teams have those guys. And they have a real GM and director of personnel. We don't.
  10. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    Like we couldn't use a big time vertical stretch TE on this offense? If that guy is there and represents value at one of our picks, take him. Witten's long in the tooth, Bennett is a headcase waste of space, Phillips looks like backup material.

See, real teams think a few moves ahead. They don't just react in panic to current glaring holes like we do. There will be a need at TE here shortly.

I agree on CB. Actually, I think we need a minimum of 5 or 6. I can't count how many times I watched this team this year and thought if they only had another full set of cornerbacks they'd be unstoppable.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Rucker is no longer a Cowboy . I think fans are being proactive in wanting a TE . Marty B. looks like he is leaving . Witten is slowly starting to decline . There is a need there .
  12. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    Give me some time and I'll have Hostile chipping in for the billboard. :)
  13. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,899 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I'm totally on board with all your picks besides the 2nd.

Curry is a fine pick if we can bring Robinson back, however if we lose Robinson combined with all of Dez's off the field issues and Miles back to back mid season injuries I think we need to target a WR. Mohamed Sanu is the target in that case, not really a glaring need even without Laurent Robinson but it would be nice to get one. I would also look heavily at Jared Crick. I'm excited about the 2nd round this year, unless alot of people rise rapidly there should be a few good players on the board.
  14. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,470 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I know, but Rucker should be available again this off-season. I think he had a one year deal with Jacksonville. That is, if we even wanted him back. Although he showed promise in the pre-season.

Yea I get that, with Graham/Vernon Davis and all of these "stretch the field" type of Te's.

I guess what I'd argue is, we do have a need for another TE, but it's not as pressing(to me at least) than our horrendous secondary, lack of a pass rush outside of Ware, and shaky OL.

This season was a big eye opener on how many flaws we have, and this is a CB heavy draft. I think I am just hoping we go a lot more DB heavy than most of the mocks I've seen have us.

With 7 picks, we should hope to land three CB's or 2 CB's and Safety. Obviously you can't draft a CB just because you need one. Sometimes the value at another position is just too good. But this is a draft that has multiple talented CB's, so I'd rather trade down some spots and get more picks to hopefully seal up the secondary for years to come.

Might be wishful thinking.
  15. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    Muhast, I just hate those kinds of posts. You're approaching the draft like it's veteran free agency and that will cause you to bypass superior players to fill a current need.
  16. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    I just don't see where it matters. It didn't to Parcells. Why should I buy fan's views of this team over his? I am talking about towards the end of his time here too.

I think the belief in our lack of professionalism in the front office is greatly over rated.
  17. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    Please don't take this wrong, but I never want to discuss Dez Bryant with you. At all, in any thread. You mention his name and I tune it out automatically.
  18. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    You'd have better luck trying to shove melted butter up an unchained, rabid wildcat's butt with a hot poker under a July Death Valley cloudless day.

Or to get me to like a Kicker.

;)

EDIT...I do want to repeat something I said earlier in the thread that no one has even picked up on. I do not even like Jerry Jones all that much. I respect him as a person. He earned that when he went in the ambulance with Michael Irvin. I think hiring Parcells and now Garrett is evidence of right moves. Even Wade was, it just didn't work out. But you'd be hard pressed to get me to be excited about meeting him. The guy does do some things that drive me nuts. But that has to do with disrespecting our past History.

I think what you guys believe about his football input is a myth. He's a figure head and it's just a title. Ciskowski, Jason Garrett, and Judd Garrett along with Todd Williams and Stephen are infinitely more involved in the football matters than Jerry is. Stephen and Jerry are respected around the NFL. That should matter for something, but until we win, it won't.

I think he is insignificant to winning or losing. I know some very well placed people who agree.
  19. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    Parcells acted like the GM while he was here. Of course he liked that set up. And I've said before if we can find that type of situation again where the head coach is an all timer and can do Jerry and Stephen's job for them, we might be able to win.

But why should the Cowboys have to operate that way? Where they get nothing from the top two personnel men in their organization and have to work around it to win?
  20. Risen Star

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I read ya. I read ya.