1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My issues with the "trainee"

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by Bleu Star, May 24, 2014.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Fortunately, Jerry seems to agrees with you, because that's exactly what he's done. He's basically the Chief Grinner and Head Press Conference Giver.

I would advise Linehan to remove the batteries from Garrett's headset just to be sure, however. Just ask Callahan.
    BigStar and Bleu Star like this.
  2. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    I understand the reasoning behind the defense getting rest with the offense on the field, but I think it is irrelevent in this case. Lack of rest didn't contribute to the defenses futility, they were just awful. The biggest reason they would have less rest is because they couldn't get off the field. I think a healthy Claiborne would have put them no worse than 20th in the league. Throw in Lee and other healthy guys on the DL and who knows.

Garrett does suck though.
  3. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,886 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the total number of possessions and the average time of possession about the same when comparing DAL and SEA 2013 season? I thought I read that somewhere but is possible I am mistaken.
  4. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

2,174 Messages
    1,526 Likes Received
    That's what I don't get. People are saying our defense will be much better because of our late draft picks and UDFA's. If they can replace our starters, what does that say about the team? Once our starters go down, it goes from bad to worse. And they will go down again because they always do.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,880 Messages
    2,438 Likes Received
    Unknown in 2011 but known now?

I would have considered it to be the opposite.
  6. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    There's been a run on Garrett bashing threads recently. ESPN must've said something negative about him.
    Idgit likes this.
  7. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

4,245 Messages
    3,013 Likes Received
    By all means let's have another thread...
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    As usual on this subject you've got it all wrong. You win games consistently by running the ball effectively and stopping the other team from running the ball effectively.
  9. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

20,170 Messages
    1,363 Likes Received
    We have clearly gone into copycat mode with regard to how we plan to reestablish a defensive presence. Seattle did it. Perhaps we can too. *shrug*
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

20,170 Messages
    1,363 Likes Received
    I seriously don't pay attention to every thread that hits this board so my apologies to anyone that perceives this as yet another.. To me it's exhaling.
  11. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,544 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    I agree with your general point CP but alot of the gripes about using the O to protect the D relate to the DET and GB game more specifically where that method would've produced two wins (most likely anyway). Those two wins put is in the playoffs where we could've got thumped by SEA/SF:confused: Love your last line as your final thought:D
  12. DanteEXT

1,886 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Drives (according to FO site):
    DAL 177
    SEA 179

TOP Ave:
    DAL 29:01
    SEA 29:57

Maybe I'm missing the point of the OP but not sure how Seattle would be the shining example of ball control offense keeping the defense rested on the sidelines and Dallas is the poster child scoring too quickly. Both their offenses scored about the same per game. The difference in my eyes between the two teams wasn't so much that Seattle's defense was "taking the field regularly in position to succeed" is that Seattle's defense was just much better at keeping the opposing offense out of the endzone.
    OhSnap likes this.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

53,978 Messages
    6,982 Likes Received
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........
    casmith07 likes this.
  14. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

20,170 Messages
    1,363 Likes Received
    Of course. Numbers mean everything... Yes. You completely missed the point because it lacked the numeric prowess that makes you giddy.

Seattle's RB is clearly integrated into their offense and it shows in the way they are able to sustain drives from the starting bell to the finish line. We lack that same consistency because running the ball has clearly been an afterthought over the last 3-5 years (tossing in some numbers to keep your interest).

A vital piece to our success (ball control) has been on the shelf for several years. Garrett pretends as though he is interested in integrating the run and then runs like a chicken without a head when challenged by opposing DCs. That's embarrassing.
  15. DanteEXT

1,886 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Numbers don't make me giddy.

But since you don't like digits I'll say it without them. Seattle's RB IS their offense, the passing game is just there to compliment it. Dallas offense is the passing game with the run sprinkled in for a little seasoning. Both offenses accomplished the same thing - held the ball for nearly half the game and put up a lot of points. Who cares how they do it as long as they do it.

If both teams are essentially holding the onto the ball the same amount of time on offense per possession what's the problem? Is seven seconds of rest really the difference between forcing a punt and giving up a TD to you?
  16. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Nobody is wasting Murrays prime years, he's only been in the NFL 3 years and missed time with a broken ankle, a sprained ankle and a sprained MCL last year, him having a prime is questionable right now. Theres been times when they should have ran more but theres been more time when they couldn't because they didn't have a back or a line to run behind. Acting like the trainee doesn't understand the benefits of running the ball doesn't hold water, Marion Barber had his 3 best years with Jason Garrett calling the plays.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,525 Messages
    9,458 Likes Received
    Obligatory response pointing out that both watching games and all the available data clearly indicates the exact opposite.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,977 Messages
    5,391 Likes Received
    I listen to Jerry and glean the real news and throw out the trash.

Without looking I don't remember Jerry calling him a trainee. All new HCs are in training.
  19. jobberone

40,977 Messages
    5,391 Likes Received
    It's your thread. I can't/won't edit it unless you request one. What would you like it to say?
  20. jobberone

40,977 Messages
    5,391 Likes Received
    See above. That's as a member.

As a Mod this is a bash thread. Which is ok as long as it stays civil within the guidelines and other declarations.
    BigStar likes this.