1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Line of Scrimmage Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,554 Messages
    1,911 Likes Received
    This is going to focus on OL and Defensive front 7. In other words, blocking and tackling.

First of all in Free Agency I would go after Carl Nicks, Calais Campbell, and Laron Landry. I re-sign Laurent Robinson and Anthony Spencer.

I flip Free and Smith, and I move Ratliff to DE. He says he will play anywhere, but prefers NT. Well, he can play the Nose at times, but would start at LDE and Campbell at RDE.

#14. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 315. I put him at RG (Nicks plays LG) and get ready to pass to set up the run. I believe this guy on sweeps right is every bit as potent as any Offensive weapon on a team. The pick just makes sense. Trade up to get him if you have to, but get him.

#45. Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis, 6'5", 350.
    A massive man who eats up double teams and pushes the pocket backwards. No more running up the middle. He starts.

#83. Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall, 6'3", 263.
    He could rise up the ranks, but right now he fits near here and I think he would be a steal. If we can't re-sign Spencer I'd consider him at #45 and would also consider starting him.

#114. Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State, 6'4", 305.
    He starts right away. I have that much faith he is better than Kowalski and Costa.

#145. Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU, 6'4", 305.
    Need OT depth. He is a RT at the NFL level.

#176. Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas, 6'1", 245.
    Need depth at ILB.

6th round Comp pick. Kavario Middleton, TE, Montana, 6'5", 250. Blocking TE who takes Bennett's roster spot when he leaves via FA.

#207. Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina, 6'4, 260.
    Is leaving school too soon after an injury. Worth waiting for. Could be a late steal.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    I am intrigued by this guy and this pick. Supposedly leaving UNC under a cloud though.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    2,580 Likes Received
    Not a bad mock Hos.

I'm just not getting on the large NT bandwagon until we get just a little inkling from the Cowboy's brain trust that they are thinking about moving Ratliff to DE.

I think Jerry has mentioned the needs of the secondary a couple of times, and I got to believe at least one corner will be draft... Probably in the 2nd round.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    not sure about Landry. I say let spencer go and play your rookie
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Great point concerning the NT position . I have made the same point in several threads but I do think that a true NT would improve the defense . If the coaches felt the same , we would be in business .
  6. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,720 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    i like every pick except Matt Reynolds....he just hasn't shown me anything, plus isn't he like 30 already.

I am sure there are better options at T in the 5th....Tom Compton comes to mind
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,145 Messages
    2,564 Likes Received
    I'd be very, very happy with this draft.

As long as we add a CB in free agency.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I love the mock . The only pick that I question is Reynolds .
  9. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Would love for this to happen but I don't think Poe or Curry gets to us in those respective rds. Love the Paige pick even those reports I have read is that he is total jerk but getting him in the 7th would be good.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Me, too.

I had Rafael Vela ask draft analyst Wes Bunting about selecting Donte Paige-Moss late in the draft.

Bunting said that he hasn't reviewed the tape yet and is planning on looking at '10 and '11. Bunting's going to do that because a couple of scouts have told him Paige-Moss flashed 1st round talent in '10 when Robert Quinn was out due to injury.

But Paige-Moss played behind talented sophomore Kareem Martin this season and ruptured his right ACL in the Independence Bowl.

Paige-Moss has had multiple incidents bringing his character into question while in Chapel Hill, so a thorough background check is definitely in order.

Dallas can depend on Butch Davis for an honest evaluation of this prospect and also get Bruce Carter's thoughts if desired.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,302 Messages
    699 Likes Received
    Almost no chance Poe lasts til our 2nd rd pick
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Poe is a lot like Phil Taylor who went in the latter part of the first round last year and I see the same thing happening with Poe.

It is actually not a bad secondary plan that if DeCastro is gone and we don't like the players on the board to drop to the early 20s and get Poe. He apparently has really good athleticism for a man his size and could become our version of Ngata in our 3-4 playing at DE and collapsing the pocket. I'm sure he could also take some snaps at NT to give Rat a rest.

We could then try to fill the need at OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

We should be able to add an extra pick from the trade down to get an OG later in the draft to fortify the interior OL.
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received

Honestly.. add signing a quality CB in FA to this list, and this would be the ideal offseason for us. If this happened, we'd make it to at least the NFC championship next year, no doubt in my mind.
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    at 14 put in kirkpatrick and that is a winner of a draft that leaves holland for rg till one of the others(arkin, nagy, kowolski) are ready hopefully add a few DB's via FA and good to go both offense and defense has been addressed.
  15. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I am in agreement Castro is a right guard, one would hope we use that kind of pick(14) on one of the key element pieces to the team, I have my doubts that Kirkpatrick is available, if Martin the LT(Stanford) slips I would slide him to the top of our list, would somehow add Malik Jackson DE/DT Tennessee "(Malik's real strength is in rushing the passer. His quickness and strength is very hard to handle and when he uses both at the same time to rush the passer, he is explosive.)" per the huddle report.
    I still have some faith that Arkin is going to be someone we can trust with a year of cowboy training and his mental makeup we have to hope he and Nagy will be more seasoned and toughened. Still we need to address the center position as clearly Costa tried his most but was not good enough, Koonz should be available down the list and he would start from day 1 at center.
    A lot of this years draft comes down to Carter making big strides because if he falters which is very reasonable for a second round pick we need to hit that position again till we get it right.
    So I see most of the draft playing to our hand of do we think Arkin, Nagy, Carter are going to make a difference next year if not we head down another rabbit hole. If we are going forward from them advancing in skill we choose another skill set for the draft at the top.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,619 Messages
    3,955 Likes Received
    I like the first four picks. I would complain about no DBs but you stated you were going O and D line in the mock so I can't fault you for that...although I could ding you for not getting a DB in FA. :D
  17. ykc

ykc Active Member

590 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Looks too good to be true. Doubt Jerry understands the importance of building lines instead of reaching for potential star players at skill positions like WR.

If we have Cambell and Rat at DE's, that gives us 3 pressure players on our DL along with Ware. That would be a dream come true
  18. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,554 Messages
    1,911 Likes Received
    Laron Landry in the first post.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,619 Messages
    3,955 Likes Received
    Sorry...Should have been more specific, Meant CBs more than S. Of all the positions in the secondary I think SS is the least of my worries...want more CBs and a true FS. Either way I would love the draft.
  20. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The current team can not stop the Giants run or pass game (gave up a combined 68 points and almost 1000 yds to Giants), and the current team can not score on the Eagles (only scored 7 points each game). Whatever we do has to concentrate on how we match up in these 4 games next year.

I think Hostile's offseason in this mock will go a long way to closing the gaps. However, I agree with Brainpaint that we have to find at least one solid CB or we will be in trouble. If we lose Newman as expected (and deserved)... who is going to match up against Nix/Cruz/Manningham? Jenkins/Scandrick/??? I don't think we have that answer on the roster yet.