1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Pessimist_cowboy, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,339 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    1.Matt Elam SS Florida*
    2.Corey lemonier OLB auburn*
    3.Travis Frederick OG Wisconsin*
    4.Braxton Cave C nd*
    5.Kenyon Barner RB Oregon*
    6.Datone Jones DL UCLA*
    7.Josh Boyd DT Mississippi*

Free agency sign :

Jarius Byrd S
    Julian Edleman WR/KR
    Terrence Knighton NT

What do you guys think ?
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,177 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    I dislike the pick of Safety in the first round tbh. And, if we did go safety, I'd rather have Vacarro. Also, unless we let Spencer walk in FA, which I doubt, we can't afford to sign Byrd and Knighton.
  3. Pessimist_cowboy

2,339 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    We will have plenty of cap space . We have nearly 13 million of cap space as it stands and there is a lot of talk of restructuring Austin and Ratliff which would free up the cap to nearly 20 million .
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,386 Likes Received
    :welcome:

Good effort. Putting a mock out there means you're at least willing to stick you neck out.

I'd love to get (and be able to afford) Knighton and Byrd...not as much Edelman. I like him just fine, but I think he and Harris are pretty similar.

Can't see spending big bucks on Byrd and spending a 1st rounder on a safety, when we have serious needs on the oline. But we just did something similar at CB this past year.

Also, I see us for sure either franchising or extending Spencer.

Interesting draft otherwise.
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Its so early that we don't really know how these players will grade out and who will be the late risers and fallers. Still have offseason all star games, combine, and such so who knows at this point where these players will fall come draft time.

Nice effort though with us not really knowing how Elam will grade out, and a concentration on the weakness at the safety position. A little different that most would be around here, but the need is definitely there along with OL and DL.
  6. Pessimist_cowboy

2,339 Messages
    784 Likes Received
  7. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I really like the Frederick pick. He is a guy on my radar along with Warford who I am pretty high on.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,668 Messages
    5,818 Likes Received
    Don't take my comments personally. I just like to give detailed feedback on Mock Drafts. It's all just my opinion.

1.Matt Elam SS Florida*
    Depends on where the Cowboys are picking. Good pick at #32 but not at #16.
    2.Corey lemonier OLB auburn*
    Good, not great player. There are going to be some really talented OLinemen in the 2nd round.
    3.Travis Frederick OG Wisconsin*
    He is a bit slow, IMO. Is he going to enter the 2013 draft?
    4.Braxton Cave C nd*
    The Cowboys already have multiple undersize OLinemen on the roster. I don't see Cave being any better than Kevin Kowalski.
    5.Kenyon Barner RB Oregon*
    I would love this pick but he probably goes in the 3rd or 4th round.
    6.Datone Jones DL UCLA*
    Good player, but likely to go a round or two higher.
    7.Josh Boyd DT Mississippi*
    The Cowboys don't have a 7th round pick. In regards to the player, he is small (6-2, 300) for an NT and short for a 3-4 DE. Having said that, he would be ok to bring in as a UDFA.

Free agency sign :

Jarius Byrd S
    Ok, but it is going to be expensive. Probably similar to Weddle's deal which was:
    7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $40 million contract. The deal contains $19 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus.

Julian Edleman WR/KR
    Ok, but if he is inexpensive, then the Patriots will probably just re-sign him and if he is expensive then the Cowboys won't sign him.

Terrence Knighton NT
    Good choice. I don't expect him to be overly expensive. He has been phased out in Jacksonville's 4-3 in favor of quicker DTs. He would be a good run stopping NT in Dallas.

What do you guys think ?
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    I don't see Elam and Byrd both Cowboys next season. They are really happy with Church and must have high hopes for Johnson.

Rest of the draft looks pretty good though Jones will probably end up being picked in the 3rd. I too think Cave isn't an upgrade on the current center's.