1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

MY Offseason 2.0 (REALISTIC)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Franchise Spencer
    Resign Fiammetta
    Let Laurent Robinson go. (Wants too much money. Other options at much better value)

Sign Scott Chandler (Have him compete with Phillips for backup TE spot. Makes one less need in draft)
    Sign Dan Morgan (Very talented MLB who can compete with Bruce Carter for starting spot)
    Sign Eddie Royal (Very talented receiver. Very good return man as well. Fills two needs. Didn't have QB to get him ball, thats why his numbers were down. Had GREAT rookie year few years ago)
    Sign Ben Grubbs (Gives us talented guard who can replace Kosier. Less money then Nicks. Nicks will probably be franchised anyway)
    Sign Tracy Porter (Solid starter. Not top flight corner. But a playmaker on D which this team needs. A very solid starter opposite Mike Jenkins)

Draft
    TRADE DOWN few spots pick up extra 3rd
    1st - Janoris Jenkins CB Excellent man cover guy. Very competitive. Extremely tough, and loves a challenge. Would fit Rob's system excellent if his behavior issues are a thing of the past

2nd - Fletcher Cox DE Don't think he will be here, but if he does fall this low he is EXCELLENT value. Many scouts feel he is most explosive, athletic DE outside of Coples in draft. Can play DT in 4-3 packages. Great pass rush potential

3rd - Bruce Irvin OLB Going to move up draft boards after combine. Already has put on 20 pounds since season ended. Extremely fast and explosive for linebacker. Can be groomed to take over after Spencer leaves next season

3rd - James Michael Johnson MLB Another guy who is going to move up draft boards fast. Cowboys already love him. Has a ton of potential to get better. Playing at small school is the only reason he isn't selected in first 2 rounds

4th - Phillip Blake C Another guy the cowboys are rumored to be interested in. Ranked around the 3rd best center in draft class. Big upgrade from Costa

5th Josh Chapman DT Extremely underrated. Did a lot more for Alabama's defense then got credited for. Played injured last season in college. Will take on two blockers consistently. If team stays in base 3-4, he can compete with Josh Brent and Sean Lissemore for starting Nose Tackle

5th (Compensatory) Chris Rainey WR/HB One of most electric, fastest guys in draft class. Can be a dynamic return guy. Similar to Percy Harvin, just smaller. Can be used in similar way Darren Sproles is used. Gives offense more speed

6th Cliff Harris CB Has major off the field issues. If team feels his talent is worth the gamble, then he could be a MAJOR steal. Very good player who would have went in the early rounds if it weren't for his off the field issues

7th Charles Mitchell S Don't know a lot about him, just feel they will draft someone to at least give Barry Church competition for the starting safety spot opposite of Sensabaugh
  2. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I like everything about this draft and FA. Don't know much about the 7th rd pick. I don't think Chapman makes to the 5th. If he does it is a steal.
  3. acheman

acheman Member

975 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Dan Morgan? or Dan Connor?
  4. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Is this the Dan Morgan that "played" for the Panthers? I didn't even think he was playing anymore. He gets injured walking to his mail box.
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,464 Messages
    150 Likes Received
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,873 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    It's Connor and it would be a pretty good offseason if it played out that way. I think Royal would be awesome as a third wr.
  7. John813

John813 Active Member

439 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Uh, even with Orton, Royal never had great years. He is a very streaky receiver. Will have a 100 yard day, then have back to back 1-2 catches, 30 yard games.

Honestly, he is a better Ted Ginn. I guess he would be ok for a #3 receiver.

JMO.

Plus, going off what I've read so far, I have to wonder if Jenkins will even be on our big board. Off the field issues and height have me thinking that the might leave him off the board and go with a different corner through the draft.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,307 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    Not at all a fan of letting Robinson walk but paying Spencer 8.8 million for one year. I'd reverse that decision and shore up WR long-term while adding another stop gap OLB/DE.

I think Robinson is far more talented than Eddie Royal yet probably similarly priced in FA.

Dan Conner is intriguing but I honestly have no clue what he'd cost us. WE do need an ILB of some sort and it is a short list.

Would love to grab Grubbs but I wouldn't pay him more than a few mil more per season than Kosier who I think can get me buy another year. So it really just comes down to price. I am not paying any OG 30 million plus with the current salary cap.

Tracy Porter is boom or bust IMHO and I wouldn't gamble. We need to fortify the CB spot in the worst possible way. Years where we have good metrics at CB we win, years where we don't, we lose. Porter would be on my radar just not at the top.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,464 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Cedric griffin and antoine winfield are rumored cap casualties of Min. Winfield is old but good in run support, but will be 34 and injuries cut his last few seasons. But cedric is a Texas native and is 29. He shouldnt command a high salary and is a solid starting option.
  10. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Yes mean Dan Connor lol
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    All in all I like it.
  12. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,249 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I'm ok w/ it myself. Jenkins, I think will be fine. Harris is a knucklehead, but he can provide depth and be electric in the return game. If he messes up, we just lose a 6th...not a huge gamble imo.
  13. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It is a very solid list, but I believe we have to address center before the fourth round. This is the biggest need on the team IMO.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,766 Messages
    4,319 Likes Received
    Draft
    TRADE DOWN few spots pick up extra 3rd
    1st - Janoris Jenkins CB Excellent man cover guy. Very competitive. Extremely tough, and loves a challenge. Would fit Rob's system excellent if his behavior issues are a thing of the past
    I love his talent but he has 2 strikes against him (character and height). If they're going to go with high risk / high reward at CB, I would prefer Josh Norman or T. Johnson in the 2nd/3rd...both have prototype measureables to play man coverage.

2nd - Fletcher Cox DE Don't think he will be here, but if he does fall this low he is EXCELLENT value. Many scouts feel he is most explosive, athletic DE outside of Coples in draft. Can play DT in 4-3 packages. Great pass rush potential
    My favorite 3-4 DE in this draft. Excellent value in the 2nd.

3rd - Bruce Irvin OLB Going to move up draft boards after combine. Already has put on 20 pounds since season ended. Extremely fast and explosive for linebacker. Can be groomed to take over after Spencer leaves next season
    I would do cartwheels if they select him in the 3rd. He has the best burst off the snap of any passrusher in this draft, IMO. He might move up in the ratings after the combine.

3rd - James Michael Johnson MLB Another guy who is going to move up draft boards fast. Cowboys already love him. Has a ton of potential to get better. Playing at small school is the only reason he isn't selected in first 2 rounds
    Good player in the 3rd, but if they select an ILB this high, then they don't expect Bruce Carter to be a starter.

4th - Phillip Blake C Another guy the cowboys are rumored to be interested in. Ranked around the 3rd best center in draft class. Big upgrade from Costa
    The more I watch this player, the more I like him. He has limited upside, but I'll take that because I think he can start day-one. He has excellent power and very pretty shotgun snaps.

5th Josh Chapman DT Extremely underrated. Did a lot more for Alabama's defense then got credited for. Played injured last season in college. Will take on two blockers consistently. If team stays in base 3-4, he can compete with Josh Brent and Sean Lissemore for starting Nose Tackle
    Good value in the 5th, but I think Rob Ryan wantS more passrushers on the DL, not more run-pluggers.

5th (Compensatory) Chris Rainey WR/HB One of most electric, fastest guys in draft class. Can be a dynamic return guy. Similar to Percy Harvin, just smaller. Can be used in similar way Darren Sproles is used. Gives offense more speed
    Probably the 2nd fastest guy in this draft...I think Demps is the fastest if he decides to play football. Rainey is the type of player Dallas needs, IMO.

6th Cliff Harris CB Has major off the field issues. If team feels his talent is worth the gamble, then he could be a MAJOR steal. Very good player who would have went in the early rounds if it weren't for his off the field issues
    This could be the steal of the draft. I think he has similiar talent to Janoris Jenkins. I'm not sure why he dropped off the map due to speeding tickets and Jenkins is still projected to go in the 1st.

7th Charles Mitchell S Don't know a lot about him, just feel they will draft someone to at least give Barry Church competition for the starting safety spot opposite of Sensabaugh
    Appears to have some upside. If available, I would prefer Desmond Marrow FS-CB.
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,281 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I like Toledo's Marrow too. Albion's Greenwood is also another good one.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,464 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Cliff was kicked off for Marijuana possession as well as the traffic tickets. In 2010 though he had a great year with 4-5 picks, 4 punt return tds. I'd definitely be interested in him, but that is assuming we don't draft Jenkins. I don't mind taking a shot on a questionable character guy( especially one who's dad played for us), but I don't want two at the same position.
  17. xwalker

11,766 Messages
    4,319 Likes Received
    I hope you're joking about his dad.

Taking a questional character guy in the late rounds is much better, IMO, than taking one in the 1st. High draft picks know that the team is unlikely to cut them whereas late picks usually know they are on thin ice.
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,464 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    No I'm not joking about his dad. I think it would be really cool to watch your son play for the same team thar you did. it would be a great story.
  19. xwalker

11,766 Messages
    4,319 Likes Received
    Cliff Harris that played for the Cowboys:
    [IMG]

Cliff Harris that will be in the 2012 draft:
    [IMG]
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,374 Messages
    1,999 Likes Received