1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My pet for this years 1st round...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Dre Kirkpatrick.

He is 6'3 as a CB. He is comparable in size to the biggest of WR's. He could lockup with a Calvin Johnson and not be massively undersized. With the way we are playing we most likely will not be in the Kirkpatrick market however I would love to moveup for him. He could start day one.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dre has had his struggles this season. If he performs solidly from here on out and at the combine, I could see him going in the 17-32 range in the 1st round. I don't see him as the Top 8-10 pick a lot of these early mocks are suggesting.
  3. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,865 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Not very fluid.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    Rd 1 any one of these 3 in order:

Konz, C
    Brewster, C
    DeCastro, OG

Rd 2

Zeitler, OG (if we took C in 1 or Brewster/Jones C if we took OG in 1)

stay away from the shiny toys like CB and WR etc
  5. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Love Konz/Decastro/Webster/Zeitler......not all in first round.

But what would our young interior OL do with full offseason program and camp?

And what would our OL do if Garrett knew how to call plays suitable for our OL and skill players vs trying to slam between the tackles first 5 games.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    need to add Barrett Jones to the list of OL.
  7. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Declaring early and probably making a position change to guard?
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    yes he was a OG last two years, he just switched to LT this year but he will be LG in the NFL.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The biggest problem with the line is that they are weak and small. In Garrett`s defense , there is not a large number of running plays that will work with that kind of line. It really doesn`t matter what kind of plays that he calls. I don`t blame him for the OL. It`s going to take a couple of good drafts to fix this.
  10. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And if they are big and strong enough they slow footed, sloths that get your QB killed.

Stop trying to slam the ball between the tackles. Pass to set-up run. Spread em out. Use the OL's athleticism to your advantage. Get back to killing people with that delay-draw like we did 2-3 years ago. Screen, trap, pull..........

We have a shot if we do that. We have no shot if we try to turn Glass Jones into Emmitt, Earl Campbell, The Bus, or Franco Harris.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Big and strong doesn`t mean slow footed . This is where Dallas has failed in scouting and drafting. Too many fans got a bad taste in their mouth after watch the washed-up , old line that the Cowboys have had the last couple of years. Larry Allen and Erik Williams were big guys that could move. There are times in a game that you have to be able to line up and kick the defense`s rear end. These little guys just can`t do it. It is hard to find the balance between power and speed on these linemen. Good scouting is a start.
  12. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The vast majority of the time it does. You just mentioned a Hall of Famer and a guy who probably would have been had it not been for his accident.

There are alot of very good teams/offenses that have zero power to their OL or offense. GB, NO, Indy during Mannings whole career, NE.........
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One offensive lineman I do like, but is likely a 3rd round (or beyond) prospect is Miami U's Brandon Washington. He's played both LT/RT and OG for the Hurricanes, but I really envision his future at OG in the NFL. He's got a great build for the inside position (6'4" 320 lbs) where he has been an All-Conference OG for teh 'Canes. He's out of position right now at OT because he was asked to fill-in for an injured teammate on the outside.

[IMG]
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    6'1" is about the maximum height for a prototypical CB.

6'3" is too tall. Sounds crazy, but he's a little too big.
  15. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    However with the 3 or so elite WR's that are super tall, Vincent Jackson, Calvin Johnson, etc; and with more being bound to come into the league, even if Dre did not develop into a top 2 CB, he would play a critical role on our defense. If he falls like someone posted here to 17-24, he would be worth the pick for role facing the tallest WR against the other team. I believe he has the skills to become a #1 CB. In that case with his height he could matchup, without help, against any receiver in the league.

His potential outweighs the risk.
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pal, that kind of height can work to a corner's disadvantage... I'm thinking that Kirkpatrick might wind up at safety in the NFL...

I'm also not nearly as concerned about the cornerback situation as I was going into the season... now, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a corner (you have no idea how much I'd love to see Minnifield in a Cowboys uniform), just that I'd be willing to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to do so...
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see him listed at 6'2".

The kid also has good hips and fluidity for a player his size. I think he projects somewhere similiarly to the Dolphins' Sean Smith and the Ravens' Jimmy Smith (1st round pick this year). All of those guys are good athletes with the requisite hip flexibility you don't normally find in DB's that tall.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    He's been listed as tall as 6'3, but most places have him at 6'2. I think he'll measure in at 6'2, but imo the lack of he's only been okay this season. 8 pass break ups (which is pretty good), but zero ints.

Teams typically don't draft CBs high that don't intercept the ball. He'll go top 20 ish as opposed to the top 10 he was projected to be prior to the season.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Physically, he would make a great FS.

A coach like Rob Ryan would probably use him in a hybrid role depending on matchups. He could play CB against big WRs and safety at other times. He should be good covering TEs.

However, I don't think he can cover receivers like Desean Jackson.