1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My "Out of the Norm" mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Ok everybody has been doing pretty much the same thing over and over. DT/OL/S in rounds 1-3 with no real surprises at all. Now, I'm not arguing that it doesn't make the most senes, but when does Jerry ever do the things that seem the most obvious? So I'm going to switch it up and go off the wall a little while still filling needs and getting some good talent.

Round 1- Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia- 1st, I would like to point out that we have no clear 3rd starting LB on the roster to fit the scheme right now. Now, I know people are going to argue that its not the most important position, but why pass on a talent like Ogletree who can make an impact from day 1? Ogletree is 1 of the most talented defenders in this draft with a rare blend of size and speed. Could easily be the highest rated player on the board at #18 which makes it an easy pick.

Round 2- Kyle Long OG/OT Oregon- Ok the positoin isnt so much out of the norm, but the player is. I can see Jerry falling in love with an athlete like this on the o-line. Long is still very raw, but he's got a huge frame to continue to pack on weight and he is 1 hell of an athlete for a lineman. He fits into the zone blocking scheme as a gurd very well with his foot quickness and fluid athletic ability. His ability to play RT isnt out of the question even though I now a lot of people were turned off by his arms being on the shortish side.

Round 3- Jordan Reed TE Florida- Not just saying it because they played the same position at the same school but Reed reminds me A LOT of Aaron Hernandez. Fits the mold of "joker"/d-coordinators worst nightmare perfectly. Can line up in the slot and run smooth routes to create space while also having more than enough size to be a mismatch for just about anybody defenders in the secondary. Jason isnt getting any younger and Reed could easily become Romo's new best friend getting open on intermediate routes.

Round 4- Devin Taylor DE South Carolina- Quite frankly a guy this big shouldn't be this athletic. At 6'7 with 36 inch and 275 LBS he is a lot to deal with for offensive tackles. Has a quick 1st step to beat RT's around the edge and more than enough strength to play the run. Its very possible that he doesn't fall this far if he tests well at the combine, but I think he is a day 1 contributor at strong side DE.

Round 5- Robert Lester S Alabama- Isn't going to be the flashiest guy on the field but does his job well. Hes a bit of a tweener at S, not sure if he fits at FS or SS better. Has very good size for the position and enough athleticism to play a zone affectively. Not a man coverage type of safety which is why hes stil available in the 5th, but I think hes solid enough in all aspects to develop into a starter. Good depth andf special teams guy at the very worst.

Round 6- Josh Boyd DT Miss St- Yeah I know, way to late for the 1st DT taken, but if Rat isnt cut we also have Hatcher, Lissemore, and Crawford who can play the position. There are also a few good 1's available in FA if we do cut Rat....Not a whole lot to say about Boyd, he has good size and a nice burst for an interior pass rush. He was pretty darn good when playing next to Fletcher Cox last year, but struggled this year. Worth a shot to see if he can play with more talent around him than what was at Miss St this year.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,488 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Like the "out of the norm" concept. See too many of the same lists this time of year.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I appreciate the "out of the norm" concept, but if our draft goes down like this I'll drive to VR and beat the crap out of Jerry Jones.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Well exactly didn't you like? The positions picked or the players.

And I just realized how many errors are in my original post. Apparently my job has the last remaining computers on earth without a spell check feature.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I don't like O...

Ok NVM... I thought your first pick was OKAFOR, misread. My bad.

I'm ok with the first pick.

2nd is too early for Long IMO.

And there will be better players available in the 3rd (OL/DL).

As for SC DE's... I'd rather trade down in the first far enough to pick up and extra first next year, and use those 2 firsts as ammo to move up for Clowney. :)
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    It is logical that a highly ranked on their board skill guy drops and they take him. Could easily see it happening.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I like Ogletree (I feel dirty saying that...), but don't think he'd play a vital position for the cowboys (Sam). I think a guard would do a lot more for them in the long run then an Ogletree (unless they plan on playing Carter at Sam).
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,376 Messages
    4,942 Likes Received
    You will have to drive faster than me if you want to get there first.
  9. xwalker

12,376 Messages
    4,942 Likes Received
    Round 1- Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia
    I like the player; however, investing too many resources into LB in a Kiffin style defense, is generally not a good idea. The 3rd LB in Kiffin's defenses is generally the least critical player.

Round 2- Kyle Long OG/OT Oregon
    Arm length is too short to project to OT. At 6-6, 304, he is very thin at OG. Throw in past character issues and the fact that he is a year or two older than many prospects as more reasons against this pick.

Round 3- Jordan Reed TE Florida
    I think Garrett wants to add a blocking TE. Using an OL as the blocking TE just doesn't seem to be as effective as it sounds.

Round 4- Devin Taylor DE South Carolina
    I like this players size and athletic ability. He does have some awkwardness about him. I have him as more of a 5th/6th round guy, but 4th is not completely out of the question.

Round 5- Robert Lester S Alabama
    It would be disappointing to not get 1 of the dozen or more better Safeties in this draft.

Round 6- Josh Boyd DT Miss St
    OK.
  10. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,960 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    you will find jerry in a heap crying like a baby, you will see a gold f150 driving out of VR with a unionjack flag waving proudly in the breeze.
  11. xwalker

12,376 Messages
    4,942 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

You'll have to camp out ahead of time. I'm only 20 minutes away from Valley Ranch.
  12. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,960 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    you got me there i'm in toronto lol
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,063 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I don't know, I kind of like it. Love the Reed, Taylor, Lester, and Long selections. :cool:

Reed will be a real star in this league if he goes to the right team.
  14. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Think most people think we need to come out of the draft with 2 higher picks spent on OL and 2 spent on the DL, unless somehow we can sign a quality FA OL or DL, so maybe they'd be happy if your draft was done assuming the latter has occurred.