1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Ranking for Pick #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Apr 16, 2012.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,399 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    1) Fletcher Cox
    2) David DeCastro
    3) Mark Barron
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,348 Messages
    368 Likes Received

1) Brockers
    2) Coples
    3) Poe
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,193 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    Poe
    Cox
    DeCastro
    Barron
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    1) Fletcher Cox
    2) David DeCastro
    3) trade down -BPA
  5. cielo07

cielo07 Member

80 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Decastro
    Cox
    Gilmore
    trade down
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    1. Cox - though I think he will likely be gone by 14.

2. DeCastro - and if he can play OC as well, that would give us flexibility. (There has been some speculation that Callahan may want him to play OC (Ourlads Scouting Service).) I think he could be there at 14.

3. Barron - I think Barron will be the pick. Probably the best Safety we will have had since Woody. And importantly, he has the ability to line up the Secondary and be the Field General. That will hopefully limit the finger pointing on game day. Barron should also be able to start Day 1 for the team, so that ticks the "starter box" for JJ and the organization.

4. Gilmore - Gives us a lot of flexibility to deal with Jenkins' injury issues and his contract next year.

The guys who I'd prefer to skip at 14 include Coples, Poe, and Brockers.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,348 Messages
    368 Likes Received

Cox, DeCastro and Barron have specific detractors for me at 14. Cox too small to play 3/4 for very long, Decastro we are loaded with numbers on the Oline and Barron is an In the Box Strong Saftey we need FS.

I like Gilmour but at 14 wouldn't you say that is a reach?
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    1. Cox
    2. Ingram
    3. trade down
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Agree with the OP.

1. Cox
    2. Decastro
    3. Barron

Cox is #1 because his ability, potential, and improved play at his position can drastically improve the team.
    DeCastro is #2 for the same reasons as Cox, but improved play at G will not make as big a difference as improved play at DE.
    Barron is #3 because he is not as good a prospect as the other two, carries more risk
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    As for Cox, I'm not even going into why I think he'd be a great pick at 14 because I don't think he'll be there anyway.

As for DeCastro, it really intrigues me if we draft him to play OC. Or, he can stay at OG and we can move Bernadeau to OC. I just think he's a safe pick in a position of need on the OL.

I think Barron has instincts to play the Safety position. He is mentally tough, can play through pain, and I think he does have the range and ability to track TEs. He also has 12 ints in his career, so to me that shows he has ball skills as well - not to mention some instincts. I do think he has the range to play the Safety position the way R Ryan prefers, even though he may be labelled as the "SS".

My main concern about Barron is that he's had his share of nicks and injuries, but that said, he has generally played through most of them.

As for Gilmore, I think he's now projected to be the 2nd best CB in this draft. He has excellent athletic ability - around a 4.40 40, 3.94 SS, 36 inch VJ. He has production and is a 3-yr starter. He also picks off passes (around 4 ints last season I think), plays man coverage, and is an aggressive tackler.

My issue with Gilmore is that our top 3 CBs are set for this year, imo. And with all the holes still remaining on this team, I think what we may need is a more developmental CB than a Day 1 starter - which is what I think Gimore is. That said, as I mentioned in the original post, Gilmore would potentially save the franchise a LOT of money next season in case they want to let Jenkins go. Not to mention we would have excellent depth at that CB position.