1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MySA: Cowboys aren't as good as Romo believes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 29, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,536 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    By Tom Orsborn, Express-News columnist

Updated 12:24 a.m., Sunday, July 29, 2012

POINT MUGU, Calif. — Jerry Jones' salesmanship apparently is rubbing off on Tony Romo.

How else to explain the quarterback's bright-eyed optimism about the Dallas Cowboys' chances this season?

Speaking at a promotional appearance last week in Arlington, Romo made it sound like Jones had built the Cowboys into a budding power during the offseason. While it's true the owner did improve the roster by signing cornerback Brandon Carr and boldly trading up in the first round of the draft to select former LSU corner Morris Claiborne, Dallas still has a lot of work to do to remove itself from the middle of the pack.

But that didn't stop Romo from pulling a Jones and acting like the Cowboys had been remade into something special.

“I haven't been this excited about a football season as far as the collection of talent we have on the football field, and I think that's exciting,” Romo gushed.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...good-as-Romo-thinks-3743634.php#ixzz221eF2Bhb
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,671 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    What exactly do they expect him to say? "I dunno... not really looking forward to the season, we're probably going to be average."

As an athlete, you always think the season you are about to play is going to be your best. Otherwise, why even show up?

He's going into a season with the best, potential, line he's had since he started his career here. For that reason alone, he's got to be pretty happy.
  3. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tom must have had a deadline, and not much to work with.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,149 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    there is a happy medium between being down and gushing and Romo gushed.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    I think San Antonio is just upset because camp isn't held down there anymore... :laugh2:
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,014 Messages
    3,930 Likes Received
    I'm more excited about this coaching staff and roster than I've been about any team since 2007, too. We've definitely still got holes (OL, S, WR3, TE2), but the nice thing is, in most of those spots, we're at least in a situation where we've got multiple players of similar quality vying for the job. There are a lot fewer areas on the team where I'd look at us and say "if this guy goes down this season, we're dead." Even our best players have adequate backups in many cases.

And we've got players with upside at the areas where we've got obvious holes, like S and WR3. Those guys don't always develop, but there are players who could develop in most of those key areas.

The big exception is at interior OL where we've basically got a bunch of lunch pails and some hopefuly thoughts. It's an area where we're hoping for slightly-better-than-mediocre. The good and bad news is, though, that most of the players we've got in there right now are pretty similar to each other in terms of upside. We should at least be able to handle injuries well there over time, so it's not like we're likely to be much weaker inside the line at the end of the season if somebody goes down.

As for this year's draft, call me a homer all you care to, but I really like the attitude of the guys we brought in. Every one of them. I think they push the starters and make everyone better. And if a few of them can also play football, we're deeper than we've been since that 2007 squad.

What we need is for veteran players like Murray, Lissemore, Carr, Connor/Carter, Bryant to take another step and develop into the big-time players they've got a chance to be. They've got to pick up the slack for guys like Witten and Ware and Ratliff as they level off or start to decline. If that happens, though, this is one of the better rosters in the NFC on paper.

And, depending how you feel about Garrett at head coach (set aside that significant debate for now), the rest of this coaching staff is about as good as any in the league.

This team should go far. There aren't a lot of excuses for us not to make the play offs and win a game or some games while we're there. We might be another year of smart building away from being able to hope to be called a legitimate front-runner, but we're making smart moves and filling in a lot of cracks created by a couple years of poor drafting quickly.
  7. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,081 Messages
    37 Likes Received

Well, everyone says he is not a leader so I guess he is going to go on the gush side. Can't please everyone !
  8. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,421 Messages
    2,775 Likes Received
    Very good post. We competed well with SB teams. We fix enough problems we should be able to compete.
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Question for Tom: How the hell do you think you have more knowledge of the talent and quality of this team than Romo does?

Get outta here.. this media age that we live in. Sickening. Its not even reporting anymore. Its "speculating". Not even with much reason behind it. No wonder journalists out of college going into entry level positions in the field make less than part time waitresses at your local Applebees.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,873 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    Nope. Writer failed to acknowledge our greatness. Writer's a hack.
  11. Risen Star

19,873 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    I'm expecting more of the same. A roster with talent in spots but a weak team that gets manhandled in the trenches on a regular basis.

You just can not have that many JAGs and question marks along the lines.
  12. WoodysGirl

64,536 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    Nah, he doesn't have to do that, but I find it difficult to bash Romo for supporting his team.

And that's what I got out of the article. No, the team probably isn't as good as Romo believes. But was Romo supposed to say something differently?

And if he was, what do you think would've been acceptable?
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,048 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Tom has never had much to work with.
  14. Risen Star

19,873 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    I don't have an issue with what Romo said. But am I tired of reading this media hates us, they're all hacks nonsense.

Romo thinks we're ready to win big. The writer disagrees. Odds are the writer is right. He's certainly been more right than Romo over the years. I just don't see the issue here unless you aren't mature enough to handle a dissenting opinion.
  15. WoodysGirl

64,536 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    Me, too, but I do think in this case, the writer deserves some criticism.

It's not that he disagrees with Romo that's getting the criticism. It's the fact that he's criticizing Romo's assertion about the team as if Romo was supposed to say they suck or something.

I don't find it a huge issue myself, but my opinion on it is if you're going to say that what Romo said is wrong, then offer an alternative to what he should've said. Because I don't find his arguments in the article particularly compelling. The article just regurgitated the same weaknesses that have been reported all offseason, which is fine to report, but the article led with Romo's comment being the issue, not the issues with the talent.
  16. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, most of them are.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,294 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    A year ago not many were picking the G-Men to win a Super Bowl. I just don't see what the big deal is.
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,002 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    if journalism had any respect at all for their history, todays version would fall on the sword.
  19. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received

I'm no apologist, but i get REALLY sick of hearing stuff like this. We were in first place in the conf until the last week of the season. They NYG were a "middle of the pack" team all year until the very end and the playoffs.
    GayBay nearly went undefeated and where did it get them? A second round exit. SanFran may have one of the best rosters outside of QB but Alex Smith isn't taking them to the promised land.
    Who does the author think are the "top tier teams"? Ok, well NONE of them won the superbowl last year. It was a barely above .500, middle of the pack team. You could say the same about Gaybay the year before, the two recent Squeelers teams....etc.
    Last season we were one barely missed connection from going to the playoffs and ensuring the NYG don't even make the playoffs let alone a SB run. We had two double-digit leads on them in the fourth. I would heavily argue that, even with a shoddy secondary last season, a healthy Demarco Murray and we beat the NYG. So ok, we're a "middle of the pack" team, but so are all but about 4-5 teams up top and 4-5 teams down below.
    With a dramatically improved secondary, improved OL, and healthy Demarco, we have to be at least on the upper tier of those "middle of the pack" teams. "middle of the pack" isn't all that bad any more, most of the SB winners of the last 5-6 yrs were considered that until the playoffs or end of the season.
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,052 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Actually, he's probably glad camp has been moved to California. That way he gets to travel. :)