1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MySA: Jenkins deflects criticism after shying away from contact

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,102 Messages
    6,410 Likes Received
    Tom Orsborn

IRVING — Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins got bashed from several corners after he backed away from a Green Bay receiver at the goal line in the third quarter of Sunday's 45-7 loss.
    Some of the strongest criticism came from former NFL coach-turned-NFL Network analyst Jim Mora Jr.

“To me, this is high treason,” Mora said. “An NFL player does not turn down a play like that. And if I'm Jason Garrett, the first thing I'm doing when I take over as head coach, is I'm getting guys like that ... out of my locker room.”

Jenkins acknowledged he played poorly, but he claimed he bounced back.

“I made a couple more tackles after that,” Jenkins said. “I could have shut it down.”

Read More http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...after_shying_away_from_contact_107118808.html
  2. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jenkins has a lot of talent which he showed last year. This year under Jenkins & a few other players have shown their inability/unwillingness to perform at the level required of them. I blame Wade's cupcake philisophy of not holding anyone accountable. Now, we'd like all Cowboy players to be able to self motivate themselves. Many can but many also require a structure & strong coaching which is constantly on their backs. Jimmy Johnson was successful because he motivated his team thru strong leadership & making sure they understood they could be cut if they didn't perform at the expected level.

Wade may be a nice guy but nice guys finish last; that's not where you want to be if your an NFL franchise. Anyway, there's really nothing wrong with Jenkings but as a young player he's fallen under Wade's cupcake attitude of only doing what he wants. Jenkins needs a strong coach who will kick him in the butt when needed & give him a slap on the back when he's done the job.

The Cowboys can't cut a talented player whose already shown how good he is just because some of you are upset that he's not a self motivator. Get over it. Hopefully Garrett understands how Jenkins & some of the other players need to be handled & will get those players along with Jenkins back to playing at the level we've seen from them in the past, particularly young players like Jenkins.

I'm not talking about players like Biggs, Colombo, etc. Age & injuries have caught up with them & their time in the NFL will no doubt be behind them after this season.
  3. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,537 Messages
    1,075 Likes Received
    He sounds like he actually wants credit for that.
  4. Bull Frog

Bull Frog Active Member

741 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Really? Have you done that before? Did you do the team a favor by not shutting it down? This is a disturbing statement. Maybe Jenkins should try shutting down the opposing receiver for a change. Garrett needs to work on this guys attitude or trade him before the draft so his attitude doesn't metastasize.
  5. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,383 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Glad to know he could have, but why didnt he?
  6. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's just out there to pick up a paycheck as far as I'm concerned.
  7. pjjrfan

pjjrfan New Member

190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a hard play to recover from. HIs character on the football field will be defined by that play. ANd really after the Titan's game Wade should have benched him for at least one game maybe more just to let him get his head together and see that he was not playing up to his abilities, instead he got a reprieve, and he messed up again and after that he probably fell into that what didI do wrong, they're picking on me, I get no help, it's not my fault mentality that culminated in that sad pathetic demonstration of a player who has forgotten what he is on the field for.