1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MySa: Newman asserting himself as leader of Cowboys secondary

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Chocolate Lab, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,702 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    OXNARD, Calif. — Teddy Williams was a football nobody when the Dallas Cowboys took a flyer on him three weeks ago. But that didn’t stop Pro Bowl cornerback Terence Newman from embracing the former UTSA sprinter.

“He calls me his adopted son,” said Williams, a cornerback. “He’s taken me in and is helping me on and off the field. When I do something wrong at practice, he says, ‘Teddy, come here. Get back out there and work on it again.’ He’s a great role model. As great a player as he is, he’s even a better person.”

When the Cowboys cut safety Ken Hamlin in the spring, it created a leadership void in the secondary.

But thanks to Newman, it didn’t last long. His interest in Williams underscores his strong commitment to helping his teammates, even the lowliest ones, improve.

More........

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...as_leader_of_Cowboys_secondary_101357949.html
  2. fffiasco

fffiasco Active Member

746 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    im just happy newman has been healthy all of training camp (knocks on wood) hopefully it continues through the regular season and he has a great season.
  3. BehindEnemyLinez

BehindEnemyLinez Optimist Prime

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sounds like New is taking the reins of the secondary (as he should being the elder statesman) and running with it!
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    You do know that out of 7 season he has played 5 full season without injury including last year.
  5. fffiasco

fffiasco Active Member

746 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    yea i know, but i think he was nicked up during training camp last year since he was still recovering from off season surgery.

I'm not saying hes injury prone or anything, i'm just glad hes completely healthy jeez.
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "This is the best Terence Newman has played since he's been with the Cowboys".

Jerry Jones

Bring on that little, red troll....
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Hopefully filling Hamlin's "leadership role" will give this secondary a whole different feel. I didn't notice much finger pointing last year...hopefully it's gone for good and they play for each other.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,340 Messages
    699 Likes Received
    Everybody dogs Camps, but he finds ways to motivate people.

I remember he and Newman butted heads big time in the beginning, now Newman is much more of a complete player. Nice work Dave.
  9. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Newman is showing great leadership skills, nice to see...