1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MySA: Romo's judgment on Cowboys is candid

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 15, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Tom Orsborn

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo isn't following his head coach's lead when it comes to the issue of whether the team is guilty of playing stupid, undisciplined football.
    “We have to play smart, and we have to play a disciplined football game,” Romo told reporters Thursday in Irving.

The head-on manner in which Romo tackled the subject stood in sharp contrast to the way Wade Phillips answered a question about the team's mistake-riddled performance in Sunday's 34-27 loss to Tennessee.

“Our offense had very few mental errors, and we didn't have very many defensively,” Phillips said. “We'll have technique errors, now. Unfortunately, we had some penalties we don't need to make.”

Read More http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/romos_judgment_is_candid_105005504.html
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Romo's judgment on Cowboys is candid
    By Tom Orsborn - Express-News Web Posted: 10/15/2010 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/romos_judgment_is_candid_105005504.html

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo isn't following his head coach's lead when it comes to the issue of whether the team is guilty of playing stupid, undisciplined football.

“We have to play smart, and we have to play a disciplined football game,” Romo told reporters Thursday in Irving.

The head-on manner in which Romo tackled the subject stood in sharp contrast to the way Wade Phillips answered a question about the team's mistake-riddled performance in Sunday's 34-27 loss to Tennessee.

“Our offense had very few mental errors, and we didn't have very many defensively,” Phillips said. “We'll have technique errors, now. Unfortunately, we had some penalties we don't need to make.”

The Cowboys had 12 penalties for 133 yards against the Titans, including an excessive celebration flag against right tackle Marc Colombo in the fourth quarter that played a big role in the home loss. Dallas also had 12 penalties in the season-opening loss at Washington.

Romo said he's hammered home to his teammates the need to play smarter Sunday at Minnesota.

“It's easy to get on the guy who is kind of halfway there mentally,” he said. “I get on those guys.”

The Cowboys and the Vikings are both 1-3 after entering the season as trendy Super Bowl picks. Since the NFL adopted the current playoff format in 1990, only five teams have rebounded from a 1-4 start to make the playoffs.

Romo has been criticized in the past for not being a forceful leader, but that apparently hasn't been the case this week.

“Those situations are things you have to avoid,” he said of penalties and mental errors. “But you never know what play (the game is) going to be determined on. A holding penalty or (a receiver) not releasing the right way or me throwing the ball to the wrong guy or us not catching the pass defensively could all make the difference in a game....
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    There's not a doubt in my mind Romo would be a better headcoach of this team than Wade.
  4. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I turned on the NFL network last night after work and Dukes and Woodson were laughing after they showed a clip of Romo being interviewed. Dukes was saying that his impression is that Romo's body language looks timid, shy, a boy being put in timeout kind of a look. He said Brady and Manning types keep their chin up, chest out, and that players in the NFL notice body language.

I'm not saying I agree, just thought it was interesting.
  5. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm starting to turn the corner on Wade. :mad:
  6. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would like to remind everybody that Brady & Brees, along with Manning, actually have coaching staffs who do their job & believe in discipline, etc. We all know what Wade believes in and that is just getting along with everybody on this team. No player has any responsiiblity for anything. Romo can say and do anything he wants, but I believe beyond any doubt he realizes his coaching staff won't do anything to change anything. Wade has no balls & rarely even admits mistakes were made. Romo's the QB, he doesn't own the Cowboys & he's not in charge of the coaching staff. I suspect Romo has tried to do some things but suspect he realizes unfortunatley his coaching staff & the ownership are living in another world & some players on this team are content just to get their paychecks.
  7. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dunno, maybe Mike Hamlin had some responsibility for something?