1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mythbusting Tony Romo....Yeah another stupid Romo thread

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jun 27, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,066 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    The Cowboys' defense held the Bills' offense to 3 points in that game. That was the only reason Dallas was able to overcome a 49.9 rating by their QB.

A 66.7 rating means the passing game put the team in a bad situation. When you win a game with that kind of passing performance, it almost always means your defense excelled.

I'd give the QB credit for playing well late in a close game, but I wouldn't assign him the victory just because he's the QB.
    jobberone and ScipioCowboy like this.
  2. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,189 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Actually "worst case" was what happened lol...

And to me, if you're about to be clobbered by a linebacker while you're going backwards and the only way to throw the ball is off your back foot...take the sack. Those going backwards/back foot throws often end up as disasters. Why take the chance.
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,826 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    Ok, well.. to each his own. I would be perfectly fine with a sack there.
  4. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,066 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    FWIW, it's an example of the classic misunderstanding of two things: of the difference between team and individual, and of the significance of the very metrics that were created to best help us see that difference.

And it echoes constantly.
    superpunk and jobberone like this.
  5. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    You can't statistical someone to victory, you just got to go out and do it. You can pull up stats from here to Peru, across the indies, Russia, Australia, then back to the USA. It's simple, when there are games we need to have, if it's crunch, you need to carry your team. I can't get any more clear than that. You can hit me with team sport, mumbo jumbo, defense needs to do that, offensive line needs to do that, I DON'T CARE. You are the QB of this team, GO GET IT DONE!!!! And leave the excuses to your followers.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  6. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,526 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    If we can't use stats, then what are you basing your opinion on? W/L? Playoff wins? SB's? pssst - those are all stats.
  7. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    How can your QB consistently get it done with the 31st ranked running game and under CONSTANT pressure?
  8. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Because it is NOT A TEAM GAME! It's all mumbo jumbo. Seriously! put Brady in the Game with dez and miles, Shonne Greene, the Cardinals line, the Saints defense and he could still win the Super Bowl last year, because he is Tom Brady! All reasons are excuses. Dude, Learn football.

;)
    :rolleyes:
  9. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    I'll let your comment stand on it's own.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,886 Messages
    3,032 Likes Received
    Well that's simple.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,886 Messages
    3,032 Likes Received
    I think he was being sarcastic.
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    I know you're smarter than that, you told me so yourself. If you think the QB is under CONSTANT pressure as you put it, then there's no need in you debating in these threads. It just means that your head is so far up Romo, the Doctor comes to you for health information on him. And by the way, I'm not insulting you, I'm just saying that you're too much of a Romo homer to see clearly. Because last year, and you guys are apparently speaking to me about last year, because it's my understanding that he's been here for over 10 years, starting over 7. But last year, there were plenty of games, plenty of times Romo could stand back there and count the fans in the stands before throwing the ball.

And yeah, last year his defense was statistically not good, but his defense and offensive line has been middle of the pack or BETTER for most of his career. Save the excuses please. I'm pray and hope that Romo doesn't sit in his living room making excuses like his fans do, I hope he's thinking in his mind, I'm going to stop throwing interceptions and killing my team throughout the year, and especially when the season is on the line. I pray that's what he's thinking.
  13. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    And let me add this while I'm on here, EVEN IF HIS DEFENSE, sucked, and he was under CONSTANT pressure as some folks like to say, his defense and offensive line had nothing to do with him throwing the game away with interceptions in the Washington game that sent a rookie on, and us sitting in our living rooms once again. Please folks, stop making excuses for this guy.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,648 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    Watch the insults folks - thanks.....
  15. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    If you're going to hurl insults, then go forth and have fun. I won't debate you.
  16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    I'm not going to hurl insults. I'm just saying that I wish you and all the supporters of Romo, and quite frankly all players, all coaches, and administration, would simply not make excuses for these people . After nearly 18 years of failure, I don't want to hear it.
  17. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,926 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    I don't even think it is about championships. My frustration with Tony is that it happens too consistently in the most important games and at the most inopportune times. Last year's Redskins game is a prime example. No one can say the team let Tony down in that one. It was an injured team (to the max) that played its rear end off, and finally had the ball at the very moment to seize the game. A FG and we are tied. A TD and we win. Once more a back breaking, head shaking, game ending, interception.

The stats crunchers can crunch their stats all they want. I know what I see and I trust what I see. I see a good QB. I see a great QB in games where it is ok to be great without having a season on the line. To this point, I don't see a great QB with a season on the line. I hope to see him be great. I believe that something that is missing is in Tony's emotional makeup. Just my opinion. I don't have to convince anyone, and I certainly won't be convinced by throwing a bunch of stats at me. I watch the games. I hope this is HIS year and I hope this is OUR year.
    TwoDeep3, PA Cowboy Fan and ufcrules1 like this.
  18. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,826 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    How can anyone NOT like this post? I too want to see him get past the mental lapses. They seem to come every single year though, so I'm starting to wonder if it is something he can move past or not. I sure hope so, because that would mean my team will be more successful.
  19. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,641 Messages
    1,258 Likes Received
    As many times as I have attempted to articulate what I think about Romo, it falls short of these words you have constructed.

I want him to do well. I am silently praying he shows the killer instinct and the mental toughness in the face of come big or go home games.

But thus far we have seen the same sort of results.

I believe there are enough books on management that anyone with a half a brain can read them, absorb a management philosophy and exhibit it on a work floor.

But I also know there are people who in stressful situations allow an inkling of doubt to seep into their psyche and that grain of disbelief begins to erode the manager, or player and negative things begin to happen.

This is not something you can quantify with stats. Numbers on a page cannot tell you what is in the mind and heart of the man you are studying.

And I cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Romo has a moment when self doubt begins to dissolve his moxy.

But after all the stats and arguments, it still comes down to the ball leaving his hand and ending up in the hands of the opponent. And all the excuses given by those who are so sure cannot persuade me to believe it is ALWAYS the fault of someone else.

Until he wins it all, there will be questions. If he goes into retirement without winning it all this argument will continue.

And I will still have questions that were not answered by this player.

That doesn't make me a hater in anyone's eyes but the believers, who remarkably exhibit the same type of mental make-up as the people who persecuted others in Salem.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  20. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,744 Messages
    143 Likes Received

I don't think it has anything to do with self doubt. Doubt leads to hesitation. Romo did not hesitate to throw the outlet pass to Murray in the last game. He made a bad decision to throw off his back foot while drfiting backwards due to the pressure. If anything, I would call that overconfidence he could get it out there and make a play.