1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NASCAR fans... Streaming Testing at Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    Thanks, man.

I believe they stream the morning practices and show the afternoon sessions on SPEED.
  3. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They are going over to SPEED at noon CT. They are done now for the morning session. They anticipate a LOT of drafting practice this afternoon because they aren't sure of the number of cars for tomorrows sessions. So this afternoon should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to it because of the change in the nose of the car since they put a lot more radius on the nose, you won't be able to push on the left side of the car ahead of you so those straightaways are going to get a big workout as far as drafting is concerned.
  4. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    I've heard a few drivers say this new car has the feel of the old car before the Car of Tomorrow they've been running the last several years. Mostly all positive feedback.

I hope so. Because the racing hasn't been the most exciting the last few years. You pretty much have a few cars running up front the entire race.

I don't know how much Daytona will tell that story though. You have to get to some non plate tracks to really see.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Charlotte will be interesting with the new aero package. But places like Pocono are going to be tough to figure because they don't do as much testing there as they do at some of the other tracks. Those are the ones that will be a crap shoot.

I can't wait for Charlotte week. We have a suite for the All Star Race.
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    About an hour in and 12 cars pile it up. Jr. took out Ambrose and everyone else. :laugh2:

Stupid Jr.
  7. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    Yeah, Jr. ended the practice for everybody.
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL! Jr. just said he didn't know if he started it.

WTH is wrong with him?

This after saying "My bumper didn't line up with his."
    :lmao2:
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,320 Messages
    1,633 Likes Received
  10. WPBCowboysFan

5,320 Messages
    1,633 Likes Received
    Daytona pretty much sucked with the new car.

I used to go up for Speedweek but with the new car it wasnt as good racing. I'll prob go up for the Thursday qualifying races and see how things are. Thursdays used to be some of the best racing. I didnt go last year but the year before there were a lot of empty seats. That place used to be packed but the economy has killed the attendance. Makes it easy to get tickets tho.
  11. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    I know. When I heard that I was like what the heck is he talking about? Of course he started. Just own up to it. It happens.
  12. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    Well the big issue so far this year is the car makes aren't shaped so similar anymore and this is causing problems in the draft when you get sucked up to the bumper of another car. That's what happened with Jr. today that ended the drafting portion of practice. He got up on Ambrose' Ford too close and the differences between the two cars upset the air flow and sent the 9 sideways and into the wall.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

5,320 Messages
    1,633 Likes Received
    So, can we expect a knee jerk reaction from NASCAR?
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was thinking about coming down for Speedweeks this year but can't get it in my schedule. Would love to do it.
  15. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think so. They have already told the Manufacturers they can make more custom front ends to better replicate the commercial stock car.

They just have to learn that if you are driving a Toyota, you can't get on top of a Chevy and vice versa. Like manufactures will be able to draft well together but when you get two different ones, it's going to be squirrely. I think what is happening now is the hole is so small in the air that the air comes down more sharply on the back of the cars, which is one reason why you saw almost the same gaps were identical between cars. They can get to within about three feet and that's it, the car starts to drown out.
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think that is good for NASCAR. It now allows the manufacturers more play room to design a more aerodynamic car creating more competition within the sport.
  17. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    I don't know. What can they do? That's way over my head. I'm just relaying what they were saying and what caused the Jr. incident.

Nascar wanted the car makes to be unique and look more like the street version. But this is causing issues with two different makes drafting. What do you do about that without changing the bodies?

I personally hate the plate races. It's better than no racing at all but I much prefer the non plate tracks.
  18. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    You're probably right long term. But what do you do about the race next month to avoid seeing most of the cars either in the wall or simply playing follow the leader because they're too concerned with getting too close to the next guy in line?
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Probably mandate more spoiler to give them more stability to steer out of a problem. That's the most they can do at this point unless they choose to adjust the entire templates of the cars, which I doubt they will do at this point. That would require wind tunnel testing, engineering and track testing. I think that ship has sailed for this season.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

5,320 Messages
    1,633 Likes Received
    Have you been to Daytona before?