1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Clements is going to be a FA

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Tass, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,855 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I was sitting here thinking about what we need to make us a better team. Henry has been looking a little stiff and more than a little slow for a CB. I know some people want to move him to FS but he is getting paid WAY to much to have him playing S. If we were to go after Clements in the offseason and sign him then our draft needs would be reduced to 1) a bonafide, playmaking DE, 2) WR and 3) FS.

What do you guys think? What should be done with Henry? Move him to FS and restructure his deal? Cut him? Let him be a highly overpaid FS? Would you be for going after Clements?
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    One thing that always torques me is this BS about "he is paid too much...."
    I do not give a rats behind if someone is paid 10 million as a CB- if he is better as a FS and it helps the team then DO IT. If the guys is paid 10 million and there is a better player then BENCH HIM. Doing something just because of how much he is paid is BEYOND STUPID.
  3. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Clements should be our top priority this offseason. He is a playmaker. I would move Henry to safety and let's go...
  4. Wrangler87

Wrangler87 Active Member

2,044 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Henry was capapble of playing Safety, we should already have him there.
  5. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,855 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    It's called budgeting. You pay players to fulfill certain roles accordingly. You wouldn't pay 50k for a Chevy Cavalier when you could pay the same amount for a Corvette would you? It sounds like you are saying it shouldn't matter how much you're paying for the Cavalier as long as it gets you to work!
  6. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,232 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    clements will not be a FA. buffalo said earlier int he week, he will be franchised if they cant sign him to a long term deal, and they would be stupid not to
  8. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,855 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I thought he was an UFA?
  9. MarkBrunell

MarkBrunell Benched

248 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats odd because Buffalo told him they won't franchise Clements.

If Clements does hit the FA market hes going to become the highest paid CB for the Redskins. He was drafted by Gregg Williams and has played in his system.
  10. McCordsville Cowboy

McCordsville Cowboy Pro-Quinn

4,315 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Let him be that.. He shouldnt complain because he is still getting paid and he has played there before. He got his last big contract so he should be fine. Show clements the cash and give me Adalius and our D is solid. Also draft Merriweather, Landry, or Nelson in the draft for depth in case P. Watkins doesnt pan out.
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ....and I kinda thought you had to have cap space to do that. :D
  12. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,855 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,865 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Franchising a player has nothing to do with Restricted or Unrestricted.
  14. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    With the cap jumping and expecting to jump again soon you can over pay somewhat if you feel it's the missing piece.

H'es a damn fine CB, but everyone is going to be overpaying and I just don't think that's our big need.

FS, James to get his head out of his arse and a pressure guy our what we need on defense.

We must get Adams replacement this offseason so he is ready in 2008, Rivera must not be starting in 2007.

So FS, OG, OT, OLB/DE, and WR (most likely) are our priority needs. Does that seem familiar to anyone else?
  15. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,855 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    D'oh! Brainfart. Jeez, how much must it suck to be franchised?
  16. DBoys

DBoys New Member

4,713 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amen Henry is not cutting it.
  17. MarkBrunell

MarkBrunell Benched

248 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We're below the cap space every offseason. The only thing Dan Snyder is good at is beating the cap. The rest is a different story.
  18. DBoys

DBoys New Member

4,713 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we lockup another shutdown corner it would compensate for the lack of a pass rush.

Henry needs to go to FS or be cut because he gets schooled by all the speed we face at the WR position.
  19. DBoys

DBoys New Member

4,713 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not until you redo contracts or cut players. Overpaying FA's is not beating the cap. The cap is not something you beat it is something you manage and Snyder sucks at it.
  20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,546 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Does he return kicks or punts?