1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate just said go after the pass rusher, not the guard.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aven8, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,437 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    Just heard him discussing on his show Coop and Nate. He said if we get both Carr and Finngen and if we don't add anything to the Dline it won't matter.

He said that an average DB can hold there guy for around 2.5 seconds. If we have no pressure Deion himself couldn't hold that long.

JJT was sitting in for Coop and said you don't think we should get Finnegen, or Carr, and he said it won't matter if we don't get more pass rushers.

JJT then asked Nate what about going Decastro, and he said forget the guards. Get a stout Center. A Center that can call the defense and direct everything. That will enable Tony to step up.

I thought it was interesting that a guard, and somebody that has been harping on getting Olineman for yrs said all of this. I agree with him. My bet is hopefully the Cowboys do to.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    I agree with him as well. Center is our biggest weakness and repairing that will make a bigger difference than repairing G. Though G needs addressing as well, it can be fixed with less resources than some are dying to spend.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Everything I've been saying all along
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Bang the drum Nate but unfortunately, it probably won't matter. The Cowboy Fan Base wants DeCastro. That may not be what the team is thinking but I doubt we will change the collective minds of the Fan Base. I think most are set on DeCastro or Bust mode.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    This should have been be pretty evident after watching the Giants win a Superbowl with rather mediocre OL and CBs and a great pass rush.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    So which pass rusher do you prefer at 14?

I like Ingram, but I don't think he'll be there. Don't think Coples will be there at 14 either.

I'm torn on Poe, not sure whether he's worth the risk.

Seems like Perry may be better suited as a 43 DE. I'm not as keen on Upshaw at OLB. Maybe Marceilus (sp?)? He seems like a prospect with a lot of upside, though I don't know if 14 is too early. I guess it depends if you think he's another JPP type. Then clearly he is.

Honestly, as much as I'd prefer a pressure player, I'm more comfortable with DeCastro, Glenn (assuming Ingram and Coples are gone). And the same goes for CB, I think we can get a good one in Round 2. I doubt we take a WR/QB/RB in Round 1 either.

Was it Mayock who said that this draft is very good for DL but not so good for pass rushers?
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    say Ingram is gone Decastro is there, who do you pick if not DeCastro. Who is that pass rusher. I don't see many true all pro pass rushers. day one true all pro pass rushers go top 10.

I mean I would trade the #14 pick for Suggs or Von Miller but I doubt that would happen.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Unbelievable how true this is
  9. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    This part is true. I don't see anyone to take at 14 that would help a whole lot.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I know, it's like if someone were to draft DeCastro ahead of us, we'd just be screwed and could go ahead and book it that Tony was going to end up as a pool of protoplasm.

For all we know, we might sign a G in free agency and make Decastro unnecessary and all this will be for naught.
  11. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Dolphins draft Pouncey last year at 15
    in 2010 Iupait went 17 and Maurkice POuncey went 18.

Is 14 that much of a reach for DeCastro
  12. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,667 Messages
    524 Likes Received

The only thing we've heard out of Valley Ranch was they misjudged the C position. So that admission along with Costa's struggles make it likely that C is addressed this offseason. The OG talk is more fans wishing it seems than anything else because of the players who may be available. Nicks/Grubbs and DeCastro are great players and certainly would help but i dont think the team is looking in that direction. JMO...
  13. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I'm not all for drafting DeCastro but if he is the top of the board you take him. DO you reach for another Spencer at 14 or you take the BPA. Its easy to say tkae the pass rusher. I rank Pass rushers over OG thats why I would take Ingram over DeCastro but what if Ingram is gone like most think.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I put this in another post, but I would not be surprised at all if we didn't draft an OG Day 1 or Day 2 or even with the top 4 picks.

We could just as easily end up bringing back Holland and let him, Kosier, Nagy and Arkin battle it out.

It's not what I would do, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I would be all for this except for the fact that theres no great pass rusher in this draft. Not even 1 that is a sure upgrade to Spencer. Im so pro DeCastro because I think he will be far and away the best pro of the players who be available at pick #14, if he is even there. People saying things like "I think DeCastro will be a pro bowler, but guard isnt a good value that high" is crazy to me. The interior of our o-line is just flat out bad. Im all for adding a center in FA, it very well may be the most important piece, but I also want a stud OG to ensure that our talented play makers actually get a chance to make a play. The defense can be fixed without the 14th pick. Theres always free agency and rounds 2 and 3 to get upgrades.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I can honestly say I never go into a draft with only 1 option. DeCastro is just one of them. Frankly I don't get how anyone can go into a draft thinking 1 player or bust mind set.

Only issue I have had with some are those saying you shouldn’t take DeCastro.
  17. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    everything Nate said is the truth.the biggest problem on the offense was that weakling Costa who still hasnt mastered the simple art of snapping the ball correctly!!(he is also the worst center in the league).Our DEs and Spencer are also not doing their job(except Hatcher).they also cannot collapse pocket ,QBs are not scared of our pass rush at all and it makes me sick to watch Eli just stepping up in the pocket and calmly making the pass.our season is a non starter if we dont get a new center,that is our most important FA acquisition.
  18. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The one guy who is interesting to me at OLB outside of Ingram and Coples (at DE) is Mercilus. I just don't know how he'd transition. I think maybe SDogo or someone who has really scouted him would have a better idea.

I'm not as keen on Upshaw or Perry.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Except Ware went 11, Merriman went 12, Orakpo went 13, JPP went 15, Tamba Hali went 20, Terrell Suggs did go 10.

Other than those guys I guess you are right....
  20. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Its not a reach for Decastro at 14, but if you have the chance to land a elite pass rusher, or an elite DT like Dallas has a chance to , you really need to consider taking the elite defender.