1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,142 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well, with all the goofy ways this team has lost games in the last few years, I'm sure there are a lot of players who are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. If that's what he means by saying the players lack a can do attitude (ie confidence), then there's probably a lot of truth to that.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,616 Messages
    5,334 Likes Received
    I don't think this team is soft at all. They just make some dumb mistakes.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I happen to agree with Nate... This team has a loser's mentality.
  4. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,137 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Who needs the "Attitude" when we got the "Process".
  5. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Newton is a million percent right and it's been echoed by many NFL people for years.

This group has no fire in it's belly.

That is why I choose Richardson over Short or Warmack over Cooper in this draft.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    The dumb mistakes are a good example of mental softness. There is no way around it.
  7. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,316 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I've thought something similar but it was more along the lines of the fact that they are not physical up front. That dominating attitude often comes from the physicality of a team and the inverse is true as well.... if you're getting your butts kicked up front you're gonna get bullied all over the field.
  8. Idgit

29,616 Messages
    5,334 Likes Received
    If you want to use the word 'soft' to mean mistake prone, then I guess you're right. That's not the normal use of that descriptor, though.

This team is well conditioned, and they play hard. They beat themselves with the mistakes.
  9. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    You know this is funny because around the time we played the Ravens everyone was talking about how they had falling off and how their defense had gotten too old to be real contenders. The league is full of parity. The Cowboys with a solid offseason(involving younger players continuing to progress and a solid traning camp) will have the chance to once again compete for the championship.

This is the NFL. The Browns have a right to believe they have a shot to make the playoffs next year. Because they do.
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Yea but you're missing his point. In the NFL this league comes down to 1 or 2 plays. 49ers lost the Super Bowl on Sunday because of 1 or 2 plays. That's the NFL. "IF" the Cowboys make these 1 or 2 plays they would've been in the playoffs. The Cowboys need to figure out how to start making these 1 or 2 plays that keep costing them games.
  12. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,892 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I guess after being on messageboards about this team since the 90s I'd know better than to be amazed at fans who believe they know more than players, but I am still shocked.

If for no other reason than the player knows EXACTLY what it takes to play this sport at this level. Including in the case of Newton, what it takes to play at a championship level.

But the little asides come along about pot and if this and if that.

And in all of this, these "excuses" why the player is wrong are coming from people who watch a sport on TV.

Unless you spent the night at a Holiday Inn last night, all your excuses aren't worth the bandwidth.
  13. Idgit

29,616 Messages
    5,334 Likes Received
    And your take on Jason Garrett after reading the Sean Lee quote in my sig again, for the record?
  14. TwoDeep3

5,892 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I would say he knows more than I do.

But then if you asked him five years ago what he thought about JoePa, what do you believe his reply would be?

Garrett being the only one is a little heady. I won't argue with him.

I would love to see what either Harbaugh would do with this franchise.
  15. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,052 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    Nate isn't exactly Einstein between the ears either.
  16. TwoDeep3

5,892 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Ignorant is a term some seem to feel is derisive. They see that as someone calling them stupid.

In fact ignorant means lack of knowledge or facts about an issue. I would venture 99.9 percent of this board are ignorant of quantum mechanics.

I would also say that compared to Newton, the same percentage would be considered ignorant about professional football.

You may spout off (the royal you) about five technique and getting up under the pads, and all that football sounding jargon. But the truth is he has studied this game from a position none of us have.

So compared to Newton all of us would be ignorant.

But don't allow me injecting the truth interfere with hubris.
  17. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,861 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    I find it COMICAL all the fans who trash ex-players when they say something NEGATIVE about the Cowboys. Keep in mind MOST of the players saying things are EX Cowboys who have actually won Super Bowls. At the end of the day the results speak for themselves. At this point....NOTHING about this organization is worth defending.

We keep aging players who have not ever won anything.

We were the only team not to eclipse 10 points in the first half of a game this season.

We hired a coach who had never been a head coach OR play caller AT ANY LEVEL....and asked him to be a first time Head Coach AND play caller at the HIGHEST LEVEL for the most scrutinized sports franchise in the US. On a side note, this head coach turned down a chance to be the Head Coach for the Ravens, so the Ravens hire Harbaugh....who btw just won the Super Bowl, and in his 5 years as the head coach of the Ravens...they have made the playoffs every year! So to the Ravens....I say you owe us won....we did you a favor!

We sign backup OL from losing teams and START them in Dallas

The head coach...I mean owner...demands that a fat, injured, out of shape Felix Jones returns kicks....until he finally costs us a game...just to "get something out of" his favorite pet former 1st round pick

We replace last year's 3rd WR Laurent Robinson 11 TDs, with Kevin Ogletree....keep in mind Robinson got of his couch last summer and beat out Ogletree...a guy that already had been in Dallas 3 years

I could go on and on..but the RESULTS speak for themselves....and there is NOTHING about the current state of the Cowboys that is defensible....and these former players are BEYOND frustrated....like SOME of the fans on this board who are no longer drinking the kool aid. And before the "hey look how many catches Witten had" or "DeMarcus Ware is a 1st ballot HOFer" or "we have the BEST pair of starting WRs in the NFL"....before that crowd chimes in....I will counter that those sound like cheer sheets that Jerry Jones passes out as fans enter the stadium....or maybe he includes them with the letter he sends when it is time to renew your season tickets...because they certainly have had NOTHING to do with winning!
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    It is the usual flogging that comes when anybody points out problems on this team. I have read insults aimed at Nate, Drew and even Troy for giving honest opinions about this team. This board must be full of former NFL players that was part of Super Bowl teams. The points that Nate brings up are not new. Other former Cowboys have noticed the same problem.
  19. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,488 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Maybe the attitude "problem" stems from the we CBA rules and player safety rules.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I love all this voodoo hocus pocus "attitude" stuff. It's so magical. All last offseason I had to listen to about this magical "attitude" that the Giants had, but little did I know that n sometime over the offseason the magical "attitude" fairy came in the middle of the night and zapped away all their magical "attitude" powers for 2012, in which they folded down the stretch and completely no-showed and made gutless appearances for critical games like the Atlanta blowout/shutout.

Maybe it was just that the really Giants got hot for a 4 game stretch and/or their opponents made mistakes to beat themselves (did the Ravens attitude cause Rahim Moore to whiff on an easy INT?) in a single elimination tournament which randomness is nurtured.

Nah, gotta be "attitude". Curse you "attitude" fairy!!!! Why must you be so fickle!!!!

In the meantime our team (who doesn't have "attitude") and the Ravens (who do have "attitude") squared off this season, and our atttitude depleated team completely pushed around the Ravens attitude ample team in the trenches on both sides of the ball (Dallas has 220+ yards rushing, compared to the Ravens 86). Turns out that game didn't come down to "attitude", it came down bad special teams play and poor clock management.