1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    Listen.. Jerry sucks. But it doesn't mean he can't stumble into a good situation like he did with Jimmy Johnson again.

He's just gotta quit hiring guys that aren't ready for this kind of job.

A guy like Sean Payton is out there and he laughs at the thought of paying the guy 8 mill a year. He needs to value coaching more instead of what Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer think.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    "Soft" is used quite often to describe people that can't function under stress in my region of the country. Of course, you also have physicsl softness. A very intelligent person can seem dumb in certain regions of the country due to their lack of knowledge about local word usage.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,675 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    So in Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith,and Nate Newtons careers, they only had that attitude 3 of the years they played.

Right Nate?
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,060 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Well, why didn't they?

The reality is if they could have gotten 1-2 more wins, they would have. They didn't so they couldn't.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The priorities of the GM needs to change. There is no doubt about it. Coaching is one area that he needs to take a look at, along with the usual such as the trenches. I think his priorities not only need to change, but have to change if this team has any hope to be regular Super Bowl contenders. Having a location to buy women's underwear at Cowboys Stadium should take a back seat to trench play or safety play. On second thought, I am sure that panties and bras would be much more important to me than a OG if I wore and needed them. Jerry gives us what we need (underwear), not what we want ( a winning team). He is considerate.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think you made your point. You know much more about the attitude of Super Bowl winning teams than players that actually played on those teams.
  7. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,510 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    It seems like there are people, .. yes more than one, .. in this thread that are trying to imply that attitude does not play a part with football teams, and in football games.
  8. tyke1doe

19,060 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    When do players criticize their head coaches unless they're in and out-and-out dispute with them?

The above quote goes to motive. What motive does Sean Lee have to say that about Jason Garrett? Maybe he believes it honestly. But maybe it's because JG is his coach and he has to say such a thing.

I would ask, "What motive doest Nat Newton have to question the Cowboys' attitude?"

Other than he desperately wants the Cowboys to win, I don't see a questionable motivation on behalf of Newton.

See the difference?
  9. tyke1doe

19,060 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Which, of course, means the most talented team should always win the Super Bowl. Yep, that always happens. ;)
  10. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    we are a weak minded team, easily bullied and lack leaders. Been the same for years.
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    :laugh2:Are you trolling? You don't have to be a pro to know they could have won ONE more game. You don't have to be a pro to know if we made the FG against the Ravens, we win. You don't have to be a pro to know if Dez didn't have a finger out, we win. Some people really need to get over the words of 90's player. It's not gospel...
  12. zrinkill

32,675 Messages
    434 Likes Received

I just asked a question ...... and used Nate's reasoning to come to a conclusion.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You asked a question to discredit a player that knows what a Super Bowl winning team's attitude should be. By the reasoning of your question, a team is only good in Super Bowl winning years. It was a loaded, agenda-driven question.
  14. zrinkill

32,675 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Then how many years did Nate and his teammates have this attitude he is talking about?
  15. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Not hard to discredit if he says something as stupid as the TC is claiming he did.
  16. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

903 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    All this theorizing and speculation and differing opinions by ex-players,long-time fans and new fans as to why this team is in the state it's in is just that: opinions and speculation. Nate doesn't know any better than the rest of us what's going to happen next season or the one after that and so on.That's why they play the games. How profound, I know.
  17. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Weak minded teams quit and lay down when things don't appear to be going their way. How can you possibly say this team was weak minded in 2012 & leaders didn't emerge throughout the season from both players & coaches? I believe Sean Lee is a natural leader & coaches up every player to make them better & Tony Romo has developed into a pretty darn good leader in the vocal sense the past 2-3 years, as has Jason Witten. Most importantly, Jason Garrett's leadership appears to be his biggest strength. So I would probably retract that comment of yours. I am in no way a pom pom pumper, but I do see plenty of leadership among this team.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If there is such a thing as "attitude" it's apparently completely fleeting and unpredictable to the point where it's meaningless to account for in any pragmatic way.

What happened to the Giants "attitude" from last year? Just magically disappear? Nate's Cowboys 1996 had "attitude" and then suddenly lost "attitude" in 1997? Ravens had "attitude" this year, except they lost "attitude" when they had a 3 game losing streak in December, then magically found "attitude" again. This "attitude" attribute seems pretty random and chaotic to me. Seems like a results driven narrative people concoct to attempt to make sense of outcomes.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,633 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Yes, because every player who says everything about the game of football is automatically correct. At all times.

If Bailey makes the kick against Baltimore, we get the win.

Not that I'm bashing Bailey, but when you're a few feet away from winning....yeah..you could have gotten 1 more win.

I think Newton did not choose his words wisely. There's a difference between making the playoffs and being close to winning the Super Bowl. As far as the 'can do attitude'...a meaningless platitude.

YR
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That's why Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Kevin McHale and Matt Millen went on to become such great General Managers. They were ex-players (great ones at that), therefore they know more about the game than anyone else possibly could.