1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And it doesn't take a high IQ to figure out that he's onto something.
  2. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,217 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Or #3, they don't have the talent to not make mistakes.

YR
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Exactly. It's usually not lack of mental toughness or discipline that causes a defensive back to hold a WR. He does it because the WR is running away from him.
  4. deadrody

deadrody Member

243 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That very same Dallas team went TO San Fran and beat them last year. Then they went TO Baltimore and were a missed FG away from beating THEM. They were one of the few teams last season to come close to beating New England. And they played Atlanta tough this year as well.

Nate may not believe they have the attitude, and about that he may even be right. But they ARE close.
  5. deadrody

deadrody Member

243 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, allow me to let you in on a secret. What a 3 time SB winning guard knows about is how to play guard to the level that his team wins 3 SBs. Period.

It does not mean he knows JACK about anything else, with the possible exception of what it does or does not take to be a SB winning defensive tackle or end.

The teams Nate played on may have had the attitude he speaks of, but what they also had was quite a bit more talent than the teams they played against. Part of what made Michael Irvin great was definitely his attitude, but to say you can't win without that is speculation at best. Attitude can only take you as far as your talent allows.
  6. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,319 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    I'm going by what the TC said they said.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,217 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    I don't get the attitude part of it. This team went thru a lot this year and fought every game. We were decimated by injuries, lose Moore to a DUI from his friend Brent the day before and go and win on the road at Cincy (a team that made the playoffs). Came from behind to the Steelers to beat them when we had to win (again, decimated by injuries). Came from behind to put the Saints game in OT (again, decimated by injuries) and we force a fumble that bounces some 30 yards and is recovered by the Saints.

After the week 4 loss, our average defeat was by 5.5 points. Again, decimated by injuries. I think we all understand that attitude plays a role. But it plays a role in ANYTHING you want to do SUCCESSFULLY in LIFE. So acting like somebody like Nate would be the only person who knows about attitude and success is an incredibly short sighted view of things. People can have the greatest attitude in the world, but if they are 5'7" 150 pounds, they are not going to play linebacker in the NFL (or even college).

YR
  8. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Nate Newton, ferme-la bouche.

I didn't see a team this season that failed to play hard or that didn't believe in itself. I saw one that had glaring deficiencies that held it back. We essentially threw together a scrub o-line that looked like the worst in the NFL and slowly improved some. The guts of our D was out due to injury, leaving us with a D core signed off the street. Before anyone quotes the cliche, "Don't use injuries as an excuse," I'm well aware of that. It doesn't mean injuries have no effect. It means when you have injuries, you play your hardest and do everything in your power to win anyway. I believe the team did that.
  9. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

638 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    People need to realize that there is one and only one QB in the history of the league that could have gotten us those 1-2 more wins. There isn't a QB alive today that could make it through a full season with the pathetic O-line we have. Except of course "Tony Magic Man Romo." Without him we would be 4-92 over the last 6 seasons.

But If my memory serves me correctly there were also 1-2 games we won that could have easily gone in the loss column (Browns). You are what your record says you are.

As for the players liking Garrett. Of course they love him. Who doesn't love a boss that allows you a little fun on the job? Who doesn't love a boss that doesn't hold you accountable for your actions on and off the field.

The only player I can see on this team that plays with the fire needed in the NFL is Sean Lee. I just worry that the rest of the underachievers on the team will eventually change his mentality to be like theirs (who cares).

This team needs a hard nosed coach who demands respect or sends them home. Unforunately I don't see Jerry hiring a coach like that anytime soon because he would need to replace 45 of the current 52.
  10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I really think people here underestimate a) coaching when it comes to penalties, mental mistakes, etc and b) the mental aspects of the game. The stuff that Nate is talking about is the same as us talking about "who the leaders are." Considering no one can ever give a straight answer, why is it so hard to believe that the "country club" atmosphere that Jimmy and others have mentioned doesn't permeate onto the field?

There is a reason why the last few years we are always having trouble with penalties and mental lapses....discipline and coaching. I don't care what level of football you've played you've had coaches...the good ones..constantly beat into your head running plays the right way, concentrating in the 4th quarter (which is a conditioning thing too) and proper technique. You make people pay for mistakes, not coddle them. You make it get to a point where the player is thinking.."I don't want to let down my team or coach." EVERY player will say he doesn't want to but making yourself work for it and lip service is the difference between winning and losing. That is my issue with Garrett and the coaches we have had. People hang onto this..."they don't give up and play hard for him." Well why didn't they play hard to start the game or the first 3 quarters before they fell behind by 21? Why didn't they respect him to start a game by jumping offsides multiple times?

Nate is right and it has plagued the team for years and been brought up by Jimmy and others watching.
  11. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

638 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,972 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Didn't know the OP was really something anybody could argue.

If you think this teams attitude is fine, you haven't been watching.

We've got Dez and outside of him, I can't think of a single person who gives the team emotion, momentum, energy, or attitude. Dwayne Harris maybe. We've got lots of talented players who are all great sportsmen and nice guys.

If you've ever played a sport, you know how important it is to have guys that are even keel and ALSO guys that get angry and take what they want from the other team. We don't have that mix.
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    fixed
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    So you've never seen Sean Lee play before have you?
  15. ware1manarmy

ware1manarmy Member

77 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    well put
  16. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

812 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    Well said.
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    what?

Fully convinced most people who post on message boards do it for the arguing.

I dont even think most of the people that post watch all the games, or watch them sober.

after reading about all the people that turned off games early this year because we were losing I am completely convinced message boards exist for arguing and time wasting.
  18. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    You're actually making Nate's point. The Giants started losing when they lost their killer instinct and their "us against the world attitude." It happens when you get fat and happy and win SBs. See other teams and most coaches talking about not wanting his team to get "complacent." This happens in all sports. Thanks for making the point. It fluctuates because it comes down to players concentrating and eliminating mistakes. As I said in my earlier post, much of this comes down to coaching and discipline. The 90s Cowboys had some lapses...until Jimmy got on their tails..and then things magically perked up. Not sure how this isn't obvious. For some reason Jimmy Johnson and others in the know talking about a "country club" atmosphere doesn't quite click for people and how that can translate into sloppy play on the field. They want to concentrate on how they valiantly tried hard for the coach the 4th quarter while ignoring how they came out unprepared, sloppy and with no intensity the first 3 quarters.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    "No, you see, we won games that was a perfect example of how we had "attitude", and then we lost some games, so obviously we didn't have "attitude", and then we won some more games so we obviously had "attitude", then a week where we lost a game where we didn't have "attitude", and then won a game because we regained "atittude".

I really just got into the wrong field. I would love to work in a field were random sampling variance could be attributed to voodoo and superstition. Unfortunately, I have a field where a methodology is deemed useless until sustainable and predictable results are obtained using it.
  20. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    What your doing is just called babbling because you don't know how it works. Somehow ex-players, coaches and others who talk about just don't get it either. When it was the 90s Cowboys it was called "swagger." More to it than you think. I'll just repost my words from a page earlier because they make more senses than watching you get mad and act like its nonsense. Your "field" whatever it is, also doesn't allow you to think outside the box.

I really think people here underestimate a) coaching when it comes to penalties, mental mistakes, etc and b) the mental aspects of the game. The stuff that Nate is talking about is the same as us talking about "who the leaders are." Considering no one can ever give a straight answer, why is it so hard to believe that the "country club" atmosphere that Jimmy and others have mentioned doesn't permeate onto the field?

There is a reason why the last few years we are always having trouble with penalties and mental lapses....discipline and coaching. I don't care what level of football you've played you've had coaches...the good ones..constantly beat into your head running plays the right way, concentrating in the 4th quarter (which is a conditioning thing too) and proper technique. You make people pay for mistakes, not coddle them. You make it get to a point where the player is thinking.."I don't want to let down my team or coach." EVERY player will say he doesn't want to but making yourself work for it and lip service is the difference between winning and losing. That is my issue with Garrett and the coaches we have had. People hang onto this..."they don't give up and play hard for him." Well why didn't they play hard to start the game or the first 3 quarters before they fell behind by 21? Why didn't they respect him to start a game by jumping offsides multiple times?

Nate is right and it has plagued the team for years and been brought up by Jimmy and others watching.