1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Having the right attitude and desire maximizes your talent.

But if you have no talent, it doesn't matter.

Why do players retire? Is it because they lose their attitude and determination or because they lose their athletic gifts?

This team absolutely needs to commit 100% to working hard and go to the wall to win. But doing so will only assist them so far. It is absurd to believe only 1 team per year does this.

If a team underachieves it is fair to question their attitude and desire. This 2012 Cowboys team, upon review of talent and injuries ended up right about where they should be.

Demarcus Ware played SEVERELY injured. That is desire and attitude. Jason Witten played with a life-threatening situation. That is desire and attitude. This team has leaders and it has desire. The 70 year old owner was pushing Ratliff to play hurt. This team was trying to sell out to win. It just couldn't do it.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have to agree with Frog. Spend less time on arrogant answers and research the mental and emotional side of football. You must not have played the game on any level. If you had, you would know about winning attitudes and chemistry between teammates. It doesn`t matter how much talent you have on a team if they don`t trust each other and play to win.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

It's pretty hilarious to hear Warren Sapp of all people preach about heart and preperation. I acutally put him in the rarefied category of underachieving Hall of Famer, because he ate his way from a natural 280 lbs. to 340. Who could forget when he came into the league and would win those Pro Bowl skills competitions running and round and fielding punts at 285 lbs. more naturally than Pro Bowl NFL Wide Receivers.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Your point is silly. So please stop screaming about it 1000 times.

We could have been 6-10 as opposed to 8-8. Witten and Ware's toughness helped get us to 8-8.

The argument this team left wins on the table is fair if you want to break down specific games like BMore. But by the same token this team came from behind virtually every game and could have lost 5 more.

This team didn't lack attitude nor did it underachieve. It lacked health and overall talent. We started something like 8 guys who were street or undrafted free agents within the past 24 months.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    DUDE... holy crap.

This is gotten silly.

Troy Aikman and Deion HATED each other. They certainly didn't share any bonds. The things Haley did to teammates are legendary.

You win with talent.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    BRB, I am going to get my attitude right so I can try out for Cowboys.
  7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I did and I really don't see what the point of that was. You have a list of guys with question marks. Your assumption is that a list of names should/does play with attitude. That doesn't prove anything. We don't know how dedicated all those guys are. We also have heard differently how players on the team do treat it like a country club. So who's to stay any of those guys has a real urgency. I think Lee does. I think Carr does. But despite being a favorite and a great player I don't know if Ware is a leader or if he goes the extra mile. Same with Spencer or Hatcher. So far 8-8 and giving up leads over the years says maybe no. I like to take in what these ex-players say because they have been there and it matches the reality from when I played. To say they are clueless and making up concepts and that these players are doing everything possible when they still commit dumb penalties and blow assignments doesn't jive with me.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's hilarious to hear this line come up time and time again by people who scored 3 TDs in Junior High, yet ignoring the points brought up brought up by jterrell .. who has more experience playing competitive sports than probably everyone else in this thread combined.

People are naturally superstitious and believe a lot of goofy stuff. A lot of times it just comes down to the power of repitition where if something is repeated enough times it just naturally becomes true and regarded as "conventional wisdom". "Swagger" falls in the category of "clutch" for me. If polled, probably 90% of people believe in these magical qualities called "clutch", but there is no evidence that it exists when given enough sample size. When given enough sample size good players tend to play like good players in the post season, and bad players tend to play like bad players in the post season. Derek Jeter has no magical "clutch" postseason abilities, and given that he has a large sample size of postseason games (roughly a regular season's worth) we know that his career postseason numbers fall right in line with their career regular season numbers (almost exactly to the tee). However, I'm sure without looking at the numbers most sports fans would get all in the huff to dare suggest that Jeter isn't Mr. Clutch and doesn't raise his play in the postseason, because most people are driven by romantic sentimental narratives and feel good stories about meritology about what they "feel" should be true.
  9. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Again, RIF classes.

You have no talent. Thus it wouldn't matter. Similar talents...only been said 50 times. But why try to explain basic concepts to people whose idea of responding is going off on tangents that don't have anything to do with what we are talking about. Being a smart alec doesn't make you look better or smarter. Life clue.
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Have you guys ever played sports or do you just watch it and eat chips? To pretend that intangibles don't count in any sport is just ignorant.

There is a fundamental difference in a player with determination and the right attitude and the player without it. And it's not as simple as superior physical skills or the guy saying all the right things in interviews and doing the right things off the field. Some players have the intangibles to respond at the right moment and take what they want from the opponent when it matters most. And some players, given the same opportunity, will fold. And it's not always who you expect. Frequently, the player with the best physical gifts who performed the best in meaningless games will fail when you need a win, and frequently the player who might not be the most talented will come through because he has that grit in him.

That's what I believe Nate was referring to. Or trying to.
  11. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    You might as well stop trying. Your going to get a long paragraph about superstitions, etc where he won't even take the time to try and understand sports/football and who thinks ex-great players offer no insight into teams.

EDIT: LMAO..reading his response above,,nailed it.

You're dead right. My quotes above from Lombardi express this, Jimmy has talked about it. Almost every ex-player and HOF'er has talked about it. Yet people that hang out on CZ know better because its foolish to think that not every guy in the NFL doesn't train just as hard as the next guy.

It's a real simple concept. In the playoffs, winner take all games for a playoff spot, rivalry games...2-3 plays can change the outcome. Most of these teams have similar talents. Getting that extra yard...Ray Rice getting extra 29 in San Diego...make a difference between a 6th seed and a 4th seed. Going up and catching a ball...A. Boldin..extends a drive vs punting back to hot team. It's why Emmitts shoulder game vs Giants is so great.
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,151 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Agree ...

Chemistry, attitude, confidence, leadership, trust, work ethic, or just the stubborn will to win.

None of these can really be measured like height, weight, size, speed, vertical, strength, etc.

But all are more important though to the success of a team.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Wanna answer that jterrell?

I played high school football. When we had players who were good at playing football, we won. When we had players who bad at playing football, we lost. We worked just as hard both years. Hard work and wanting to win are generally not rare traits, particulary on a competitive professional level. However, my anecdotal experience is largely irrelevant as is everyone elses. I used to believe in a lot of superstitious hogwash like "clutch" ability. I grew up and read stuff and put less weight into sentimentality and romantic narratives and I got over it.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    It was a rhetorical question and you know it. I don't need his credentials.

The point is that anybody who has ever played a single sport in their life knows that physical skills don't get you jack if don't know how to win.
  15. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    And the bolded still has nothing to do with the conversation. Maybe a 5th times a charm. Difference between 8-8 and 10-6 in the NFL vs similar teams and talent comes down to intangibles. But your probably already scouring google for another gif or something to post instead of reading.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Similar talents go to the Superbowl one year and miss the playoffs the next. Under the same coaches using the exact same methods and coaching techniques and preparation. I know that implies that there is chaos and unreliability in the universe, and therefore makes people run and go hug their narrative bankys.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I responded to your post, not Jterrell. Have you played the game or not? Can you comment on the subject first hand or did you show up to blow smoke and pat yourself on the back as usual? I have no clue what Jeter has to do with the Cowboys lack of a winning attitude. Stay on topic. I don`t care the least bit about baseball.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,103 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Preach it.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I scored 3 TDs for Polk High in the City Championship, how many did you score?
  20. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'm sorry but Nate is a fine example of a player who does not belong in broadcasting. I like to listen to sports radio, but if he's on the radio, I typically change the channel.