1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

National Football Post: Russ Lande Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DFWJC, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,966 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    The details are linked here

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-mock-draft-1-0-163000289--nfl.html

Here are some highlights:
    1. KC: Luke Joeckel (OT, TxAM)
    2. Jax: Bjoern Werner (DE, FlaSt)
    3. Oak: Manti Te'o (ILB, ND)
    4. PHI: Chance Warmack (OG, Ala)
    5. CAR: Star Lotuleeli (DE, Utah)
    6. SD: Jake Matthews (OT, TxAM)
    7. Cle: Monroe Moore (DT, TxAM)
    8. Ten: Jonathon Cooper (OG, UNC)
    9. AZ: Geno Smtih (QB, WVU)
    10. Det: Dee Milliner (CB, Ala)
    18. Dallas Cowboys (6-6), OT, Eric Fischer, Central Michigan
    The Cowboys have struggled all season to protect Tony Romo and Fisher would give them an upgrade at right tackle.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,253 Messages
    3,059 Likes Received
    Two Guards in the top 10?

The draft-media project DeCastro to be a top-10 pick at this time last year.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I could live with that. Tackle is a premium position, I just hope they don't do anything cute. I would be completely okay if their first 3 picks were a combined >1,000 pounds.
  4. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I like him more than Taylor Lewan. Not as big but more agile and a knee bender.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,853 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    When all is said and done I think they draft more like 12-14. Still think they go pass rush but I would not complain about adding another LT to the O Line.
  6. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I just watched both Lewan (against Alabama) and Fisher (against Michigan State), there's a reason why Joeckel is head and shoulders above them two.

I don't claim to be a technician when it comes to o-line, but here's what I saw.

Lewan is strong, when he's engaged in a block and is in close quarters with the defender, they aren't getting around him. Is able to keep his hands active and on defenders (saw more 'holding' than Lewan). I think he'd have a problem facing 3-4 defenses and the tweeners that you see at OLB now.

Fisher is athletic and smooth, but not as strong as Lewan. Looks like he relies on corraling the defender outside and keeping him out of the pocket, but is weaker than Lewan against an inside move. Fisher reminds me of Nate Solder.

It'll be interesting to see Central Michigan go against Western Kentucky. They have Quanterus Smith who is tied for 3rd in sacks in the country with 12.5. 6'5 249 LB guy who should be a good matchup for Fisher. He's got a decent rip move.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,853 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Smith done with ACL
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's really disappointing. Draft stock could fall, I'd be interested. What he did against Alabama was impressive.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,253 Messages
    3,059 Likes Received
    Scouts Inc. (ESPN) ratings as of 05Dec2012 with MY comments added:

Offensive Tackle
    1. Luke Joeckel , 6'5¾" , 306
    Not on the Joe Thomas or even Tyron Smith level, IMO. He holds a lot. OL can get by with this in colleage but not in the NFL. Needs to add some bulk.

2. Taylor Lewan , 6'7" , 302
    He has a high-cut (long-legged) build that makes him a bit awkward looking. He has good speed/quickness; however, his awkward movements make him appear to be slower. He does hold more than you would like to see. Needs to add some bulk. More aggressive than average.

3. Eric Fisher , 6'7⅛" , 297

Deceptive quickness, but could have issues maintaining quickness while bulking up.

4. Dallas Thomas , 6'5" , 310

Elite quickness. Plays with good knee-bend which results in good power/leverage. Has played both OT and OG.

5. Justin Pugh , 6'6" , 292

His quickness is OK but should be better considering his limited bulk.

6. Oday Aboushi , 6'5⅛" , 315

Good size, quickness and strength; however, he holds way too much.

7. Ricky Wagner , 6'6¼" , 317

Limited athlete with good size.

8. Jake Matthews , 6'5" , 305

Quickness is OK but not great considering his lack of bulk. Strength is very good.

9. D.J. Fluker , 6'6" , 335
    Overwhelms college players with size and long arms; however, his quickness is sub-par. He needs to lose some weight or move to OG, IMO.

10. Brennan Williams , 6'6" , 320

Has very good quickness with NFL size/bulk. Shoulder injury could keep his stock down.