1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

National Poll: McCain leads both Hillary and Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't put too much stock in national polls as it will ultimately break down to a state-by-state race... but I do find it interesting that, despite Republican malaise and record-high Democrat turnout, McCain solidly leads both Hillary and Obama in a head-to-head matchup.

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_...ups/election_2008_mccain_vs_clinton_and_obama

2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,640 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    He has in many polls for a while now. Check out that 51% unfavorable rate on Hillary.
  3. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really makes you wonder about the other 49%
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

19,726 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    Just shows how quickly things can change and still may change. There was talk just a couple of months ago that McCain was struggling with his campaign finances and was set to drop out. Guiliani was once looked upon as a favorite and is now set to drop out. Fred Thompson was once looked at as a big favorite before he even announced his candidacy and now he has bid his farewells.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    That should be a concern for the Dems. No doubt many Dems love Hillary but what many seem to forget she has many enemies and those who just do not like her and it says a lot when her unfavorable rating is higher than that of Kerry or Gore
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,151 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Not surprising at all.

The Dem race has been getting a lot more attention and the negative stuff on that side is much more publicized than the shots by the elephants.

DW is correct that it will boil down to specific states and in those Hillary has already built coalitions.

McCain does make it interesting though.
    He is the least conservative socially of the Repubs so will draw independents.

The best sign for Dems is right now they are voting in record numbers even in states where the delegates were taken away completely. I was shocked Florida voters turned out so well on the Dem side with none of the candidates campaigning there and the votes not counting towards delegates.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,151 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Her unfavorable rating is about where GWB's was in 2004.
    If you are expecting that to carry someone else to victory, don't. It was a mistake I made in 2004. Haters do not nearly always come out to vote.

A lot of folks who do vote feel as if they are voting on the lesser of two evils.

When it is all said and done people vote to their party unless given a huge reason to change their minds. Bush didn't scare off many Repubs and Hillary isn't going to scare off many Dems.
  8. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Dems will vote for Dems and Rep will vote for Rep the independents will take into account their like or dislike of a candidate. I do think this could play in favor of McCain should he and Hillary face off in the General elections.
  9. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is definitely some truth to that.

I'm a die-hard Republican, and would certainly give Hillary an "unfavorable" -- but that doesn't mean I'm voting for McCain in November.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,851 Messages
    1,775 Likes Received
    You don't like him...but you will vote for him. Your hate for Hillary is greater than your dislike for McCain.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,151 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    That could happen for sure.
    And I think it will in instances.

But Hispanic and women Repubs/Independents will strongly consider Hillary.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,219 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    That has been something that a lot of so called experts have been muttering about for a long time; just how much does dislike energize the other side.
    Considering all the "hate" for Bush, that should have meant a landslide for Kerry; instead Bush actually got a higher percentage of the vote then he did in 2000.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,219 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    McCain was big on Immigration reform, so he has a pretty high like rate among hispanics.
  14. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    McCain himself is strong with Hispanic voters and independents as well as the senior citizens who went for him big time in Fla. One thing about the seniors they will come out and vote. Here at Harris County every commissioner makes sure they take care of the seniors in their precinct because they know who talks about voting and who actually votes.