1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Need fantasy football advice.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by Suave, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Suave

Suave New Member

544 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have three defenses on my fantasy team: New York Giants, Detroit Lions, and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Personally, I think all of those teams have good matchups, but I am still trying to determine which team has the "best" matchup. I am very tempted to start the Giants' defense, especially now that Vick and Maclin will likely not play. Plus, Vince Young has not had a lot of reps with the first team this year, so I don't think the chemistry will be there.

The Jaguars will face the Browns: a team that ranks near the bottom in offense, and a team that really doesn't have an impact player on offense.

The Lions will face the Panthers, and while that appears to be a favorable matchup, Scam Newton is liable to pull off some big plays to put points on the board, so that is a somewhat tricky matchup.

Any advice, guys?
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    having 3 defenses on your team to begin with is a major problem
  3. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My advice is to drop two of those defenses 3 is a problem
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,173 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Aye, 3 def is too many. But, I would chance it and play the Jags. Now, I am in a bind. Start Cam or Palmer? I cant afford to have my QB suck this week because McGahee bombed.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I have 2 defenses.

Cincy and Houston. Picked up Cincy a while back and then snagged Houston on Cincy's bye.

I don't think the extra roster spot is really worth it. It's not like you're going to get anything from the guys that you could potentially have. Unless you draft phenomenally, an extra defense is no worse than a scrub WR or RB who may not even play on a weekly basis.
  6. Suave

Suave New Member

544 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guys, for most of this season, I have been playing with primarily two defenses. I picked up the Jags' defense before last weekend's game because they played the Colts. That turned out to be a major pickup for me, as they scored nearly 40 points and helped me win my matchup. The Jags' defense scored more points than both the Lions' and Giants' defenses, so ultimately, I believe I was justified in adding them to my roster. Fantasy football is all about matchups.

My initial intention was to drop the Jags' defense after their game against the Colts until I realized they have another good matchup this week, so that is why I have a total of three defenses on my roster at this moment. Normally, I would carry up to two defenses. I know what I'm doing.

Again, I'm only here to ask who you guys think I should start. Nothing more, nothing less.
  7. GoldenFlash

GoldenFlash New Member

15 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had one all year till this week. I picked up Dallas who was dropped by someone. I have a pretty darn good match up this week.
  8. Suave

Suave New Member

544 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thank you for being the only poster who actually addressed my issue of determining which defense I should start. That was my main objective of this thread.

To answer your question, I would probably lean towards Carson Palmer. Although the Vikings' defense is ranked near the top in sacks, they still have a very poor pass defense. Over the course of the season, they have been FAR more generous to opposing QBs in terms of fantasy points; they have relinquished 18 passing touchdowns (second worst in the NFL) to only 6 interceptions. Also, lately, Palmer seems to have found a rhythm with his WRs.

The Lions are ranked fourth against the pass, and they are in the top 10 in interceptions as well as sacks. Cam got roughed up by a blitzing defense last week (and played poorly), and it will likely be more of the same this week. But Cam is the kind of player who can still put points on the board. I don't think starting him would be a horrible idea, but I think Carson Palmer would be a better start, imo.
  9. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,173 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Yea, I already put Carson in. Just too risky with Cam against the lions.