1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Need help putting video on computer

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by heavyg, Aug 8, 2008.

1. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I just purchased a used video camera. Its an older camera but it looks brand new. It is the type that uses the small video tapes to capture video. Is there a way to put the video off the camera onto a computer? The camera has an S-Video outlet but not a USB.

Thanks in advance

Glen
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    you need to buy a capture card. Then you can run the svideo and the audio cables.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    What about Firewire?
  4. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Is there a way I can use my USB ports. My computer is a pain in the rear to add cards too.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,884 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Theebs is the man and I bow to his knowledge but when I was researching video capture a few years ago this device was highly recommended (I eventually ended up with a firewire out on the video camera to a firewire in on the computer along with capture software myself.):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814144214

It's a little expensive but it takes a lot of the hard work out of video conversion.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    that is a capture device, or breakout box etc....duane.

That is pretty expensive. Seeing that his camera doesnt have usb or firewire he is probably better off with a different capture card.

So heavy if your looking for a usb capture device something in this neighborhood could be what you want.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112
  7. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Awesome theebs thanks!! Now I can look on ebay......lol.......Im an ebay junky.......lol