1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Need some advice about Guns

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by a_minimalist, Aug 1, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I've never shot one, but I've always wanted one and wanted to go to the range.

What are some good guns to start off with?
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Start off with a pistol.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would recommend taking a basic handgun instruction course before purchasing one. They usually offer weapon rentals for these classes.

You will learn a lot about them and probably can rent different guns so you get hands on a few different types.
  4. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Find a buddy that has guns. Ask him if you can go to the range and shoot with him/her.

What are you looking for? A gun just to punch paper with? Home defense weapon?

You could also go to a gun range and rent guns. Look for the model that you have been lusting after and take her for a spin.

I always shoot a gun before I buy it. Sometimes the gun just doesn't feel right in my grip. Took me a few months to find my carry piece - SA 9mm subcompact.
  5. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Find a gun range close to your house & go there... tell them the truth, that you know nothing about guns but want to learn how to safely operate one. They generally have classes and demo programs to help you find the right weapon for you. Don't be embarrassed - this is a big portion of their business & they want people to learn to handle a weapon properly.
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received

It is an expensive hobby. Bring some $$$, especially if you want to become proficient.

The suggestion of a gun club is a good one. Most will rent you different weapons to try. I love my Springfield Arms XD40. I have smaller hands and the angle, shape and size of the grip help my accuracy. I sold my Glock even though it is a better weapon, I could not shoot as well with it.

Spend some time trying different weapons until you find one the feels comfortable.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,298 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I assume you are talking about a pistol. What do you want one for or want to you want to accomplish with a weapon?
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Kill things and blow stuff up. :laugh2:
  9. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I like this idea, this is probably what I will do.
  10. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Both, if I bought a gun just to take to the range it would be kept in my house so that automatically makes it a home defense weapon.

I've been looking at glocks but I've also read you should start with a bolt-action rifle first. I'm about a clueless as one can possibly get. I know the best idea is to just get out there and jump in but I figured I'd ask here first.
  11. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    As a kid I would always love shooting my friends paintball guns and bb guns. I just liked shooting them, not sure why. I was never allowed to have any type of gun because my mother's brother was shot and killed when he was 18 during some weird and somewhat questionable hunting accident. So photos and toys and such were forbidden in our house. That's probably why I've always been interested as well too. I usually go after when I'm told I can't get or have.
  12. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sounds smart and logical. :D
  13. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Thanks, I'm usually pretty shy about things I know nothing about so knowing that is good.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,298 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    You use a rifle to hunt unless you're going to be a sniper.

I would recommend a subcompact 9mm or .40cal semiauto pistol. Or you can go with something simpler like a revolver in say .357. You should definitely go to a gun shop with a range and fire some pistols before buying anything. And if you know nothing about a gun then take a course to familiarize yourself as others suggested. You can then go from there.
  15. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Gotcha. I have different guns for different purposes. My home defense gun is a shotgun. I have multiple range guns and guns that I use for competition (IDPA).

Do you want a gun that you can conceal i.e. going for you CCW permit? Full size 'battle gun' i.e. 1911.

Glocks are supposed to be indestructible and not fail. But, I hate how the Glocks feel in my hand and was never able to shoot as well as I can my other guns.

Guns that I think are just as indestructible that feel good in my hands:

HK, Springfield Armory, and Sigs.

I feel you should start with whatever gun you want and go from there.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    You must have some friends that have guns.

Talk to them.

They can be a lot of fun but they cost too.

And by the way if your friends happen to drink and shoot at the same time RUN LIKE HELL!!!
  17. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I guess I just never thought about different guns for home protection and guns for the range. If I did purchase one it wouldn't be until much further down the road but it would be primarily for the range and home protection would just be part of the package. I think it would be cool to have a gun that can handle attachments and what not but I'm in fantasy land and clueless when it comes to that stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions of guns to look at, I appreciate it.

Also, I'm pretty sure in NJ you can't carry a weapon unless you have a legitimate reason. I don't think 'protection' qualifies.
  18. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    No friends that shoot or have guns. I'm hoping to be the trend starter. :bang2: :bang2:
  19. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Thanks
  20. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,877 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I've got a Glock 33 and it is a sweet shooting little gun.

http://www.gunreports.com/gow/handg...ig-self-defense-compact-PI3350201_1213-1.html