1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Need some opinions!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Reality, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I am looking for ideas for a project I am working on. I would like to know which sites you visit each day AND post on (content, comments, tweets, etc.) where you really love the way the site looks? Even if it is only parts of the site you like a lot, I would like to know about it!

/reality
  2. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,978 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    I wouldn't want this site to be anything like the other site I regularly post on. They have foobies threads, but this is a family site. Really, this site has done a great job. If i think of something, I'll suggest it.
  3. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    This has nothing to do with CowboysZone if that's what you meant. I am working on another project that has nothing to do with any specific topic or content.

I am quite familiar with most of the popular sites on internet traffic wise, but I am more interested in sites that you guys post something on regularly and you really like how the site looks. I am not looking to copy any site layouts. My goal is to find certain elements of sites that people like and try to integrate them into my project when possible.

Any site examples will be appreciated as long as users like them and participate on them by posting in some manner.

/reality
  4. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I suggest you take a visit to njdevs.com, it's a New Jersey Devils forum I post on that installed a new format over the summer, it looks great and beyond that there's a lot of cool little functions that make using it a breeze
  5. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,978 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    The only site I regularly post on is fark.com It's mainly because I've been doing so for 8 years, and love the community there. They have their categories split up nicely along with a main page, and you can favorite or ignore people with a color code and comment so you know why you Favorited or ignored them. You can also add threads to favorites if you ever need to go back to an old one for "reference".
  6. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    reddit + reddit enhancement suite extension

Pretty much an aggregate of everything and every topic on the web. You can tailor the site to only show you topics you want to read on your own 'frontpage'.

I don't like the way they format comments when the thread gets really large though.

There is very little censorship or moderation, so you gotta put your big boy pants on. If you're looking to be offended, you will be. Like I said though, you can pretty much filter out the things you don't want to see.
  7. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I'm quite familiar with reddit and I like it as well. I am not a fan of threaded comment systems myself as they are hard to follow especially when you have a very active topic and a lot of comments being added.

My question though was not sites you like from a purpose/usefulness standpoint, but rather sites that you use that you also like how they look a lot.

I guess what I am asking is ... What site do you use that has a layout, format and color scheme that you wish all other sites you visited had or used?

/reality
  8. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I just want to say I really appreciate you guys responding to this thread! My project is close to launching and I am trying to tweak the layout, colors, formatting, etc. to appeal to more users without having to offer multi-theme options on it.

/reality
  9. Hopeuhavechange

Hopeuhavechange New Member

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Twitter(like the simplicity and brevity but which can funnel me toward richer content if I desire it), goodreads.com, openculture.com, makeuseof.com, amazon.com, theverge.com, jimmyr.com, lifehacker.com, flickr.com, heavy on political/news aggregator sites (which I'll omit here)...overall I like sites that fuse news, discussion and analysis, video, educational material with plenty of graphics and a good dose of nonsense/fun/entertainment/fluff. Showcase something that can integrate all that and I'd stick to it like a broker on a wealthy widow.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,611 Messages
    3,869 Likes Received
    I looked at playboy.com and I liked the free part ok. :p:
  11. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The number one reason why I click away from a site is layout. The front page should be set up so that I can easily find what I am looking for. If it is "too busy" I tend to scroll a bit, but if I don't find what I am looking for, I move on. Unless it is the only site (unlikely anymore) that provides what I am looking for.

Colors should correspond to the content/product you are selling/promoting. If you haven't already done so, look up some of the research on colors and their effects on sales.

Ease of navigation is another thing. Links to pages that then provide links to what I am actually looking for is irritating.

My 2 cents.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Twitter is probably the most useful sight out there. I dont use it to tweet. I use it as a news feed for the things that interest me. For any sight I really dont care nearly as much about layout or looks as I do content. I go to several news paper sights a day. I love igoogle even though they are doing away with it because I can customize it to my interests.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,512 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    I'll think about this one. I'm picky about site utility. It seems like there are sites I use in my work that I'm fond of, but I'm having a hard time sorting useful content from smart design right now after my long holiday vacation.
  14. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I have a layout that I am happy with but I am concerned it may be a little too plain for some people which is why I created this thread looking for ideas. A lot of people use mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, etc. for surfing the web, so I have put a priority on site speed and mobile device support.

I am definitely still looking for sites that people post on or contribute on a lot where they are quite fond of the layout and/or themes.

/reality
  15. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,891 Messages
    702 Likes Received

1.) Think Kiosk terminal.... ala when you go to verizon store.

2.) Think large box icons to navigate through site.

3.) Think audio/visual as BIG parts of site. We are movin away from the textual word(for lack of a better term) EVERYTHING will be Audio/Visual.... and IGS(Instant Gratification Syndrome) Let them get to where they want to go in ONE CLICK from homescreen.
  16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,911 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I visit www.f13.net a lot. I mainly ignore the front page, but I post a lot on the forums.
  17. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Those are really good suggestions. When I develop, site speed and response performance is a priority. I specifically focus on keeping the layout simple and I am also a big fan of avoiding the disorientation of users. By that I mean content, especially navigation, should be consistently in the same location on every page to avoid the "Where's Waldo?" scenario.

I also am trying to provide a layout that works well on mobile devices as well as traditional computers. While the site is still growing, new features and changes will occur regularly. Trying to maintain two or more themes in that situation will be difficult and likely result in the mobile theme lagging behind at times. That is why beyond trying to keep things mobile friendly on the primary theme, I plan to to create a very simplified mobile theme for the site that will work even on older smartphones and will greatly reduce bandwidth once the site leaves beta.

/reality
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    I like the fark layout.

Simple but not so simple that it looks like something that is text only.

I like the tab system for different types of topics.

I like the article link on the left side, the general idea of the article in the middle and a link to comments on the right side.

Simple but serves a purpose.

Although I only looked at it and have not used it after initially getting my phone...I did think the Flipboard app was kind of cool in how it worked.
  19. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I am less than a week away from public beta testing starting so any more ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be well appreciated! There have been some great ones in this thread so far, but more would be welcomed! :D

/reality
  20. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    If you need a beta tester, pm me and I'd be happy to help out.

I like the Wikets app layout on my iPhone. Has a Steel grey base color in most areas and uses vivid colors for the areas that can be added to or enhanced by users. I like PLUS buttons ++ of this nature that are highlighted