1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nelson Cruz Linked to PED Clinic in Miami

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,348 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
  2. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,328 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    So is Gio Gonzalez. I am a fan of the WhiteSox, but it was odd when they traded him, he being projected to a 4th or 5th starter with 2 pitches, the all of a sudden he becomes this ace pitcher.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,104 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Not surprised at all at anyone on this list
  5. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,867 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Everybody in baseball is doing PED's.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received

And the sad part is that even after several years of knowing it's going on, the only way MLB finds out is when they come across documents that say this player or that player was coming to whatever establishment for treatment.

You don't see it caught, or at least reported, that any of these guys are testing positive.

It's sad really. The whole testing program is a joke.
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,328 Messages
    156 Likes Received

I think that depends on what you classify PED as. Coffee? Energy Drink? HGH?
  8. WPBCowboysFan

5,348 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received

It could be. I guess it all depends on how the contract was worded. Arent MLB contracts usually guaranteed?

Apparently, he didnt get any advice from Jeter on how to not get caught with the PED's.

Im sure the rest of baseball would love to see the Skankees eat that contract they foolishly gave A-Fraud tho.

A-Roid is most likely done as a real impact player. W/o PED's he might be finished basically. Age, injuries, not being able to hit a fastball . . . . . . . . . .
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    No. Giambi basically lost his deal for the same reason. As you eluded to earlier, a lot depends on the language of the contract.

As far as the great Yankee Short Stop, Derek Jeter, not sure what he could advised A-Rod on. Jeter is clean so any advice would probably not be helpful in how to not get caught, other then the single piece of advice I imagine Jeter would give on the subject. Don't use.

;)
  10. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Everyone in baseball I've ever talked to suggests Jeter is the one player least likely to have used PEDs.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I really hope so Stan. I really do.
  12. Hopeuhavechange

Hopeuhavechange New Member

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Devils advocate- from an athlete's standpoint maybe they perceive that if the DON'T take PEDs they will handicap themselves, since most/all of their peers/competitors are partaking.

Or, just consider what is at stake for said athletes. Their livelihood depends upon their speedy and full recovery fr injury, for instance, and if they can facilitate that with potions of Deer antler extract and the like, that they perceive have been unfairly or arbitrarily singled out for exclusion (see the above correct reference to the PED caffeine, etc) while ignoring others, then it may be easier to rationalize their use.

Perhaps.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

5,348 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    I dont remember all the Giambi details. Did the team get out of the remainder of his contract solely because of the PED issue?

I wouldnt be surprised if Jeter has been a user.
  14. WPBCowboysFan

5,348 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    And you have to take into account that MLB looked the other way for years. PED's was just a normal part of the culture.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Yes. It was the usage of PEDs that allowed for the Yankees to get out of that contract.
  16. WPBCowboysFan

5,348 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    This should be part of every contract of every MLB player.
  17. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The Yankees never got out of Giambi's contract. They had an option year on the end of the deal and declined it.

Current MLB policy is that teams may take no action against any player due to drug issues, performance enhancing or otherwise. The league itself is the only entity with that power.
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,867 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Banned substances used to enhance performance.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Auhh. I didn't realize that. Thank you for that info.

I know that contracts are guaranteed in Baseball but I also know that language in contracts, especially more recently, are included in contract language specific to illegal usage of things like PEDs.
  20. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm not aware of any contract approved by the Commissioner's office that includes anything of the sort.