1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New England Patriots Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,041 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Rd 1 - 024 - Brandon Meriweather S, Miami

BIOGRAPHY: All-Conference selection as a senior after totaling 58/1/8. Led the team in tackles as a junior, finishing the year with 115/3/7.

POSITIVES: Athletic secondary prospect who shows potential at safety and cornerback. Efficient, immediately diagnoses the action and takes good angles to the play. Fast to the sidelines, displays excellent range and possesses a sense of timing.

NEGATIVES: Bites on play-action passes, makes his first move up the field and will be caught out of position. Lacks strength at the point of attack.

ANALYSIS: A talented defensive back with natural ball skills, Meriweather.s versatility is key. Has some character issues that teams must check out, but, if focused on the task at hand, he offers starting potential.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/1667.html

Rd 1 - 028 -

Patriots trade 1st round pick (#28) to 49ers for 49ers 4th round pick (#110) and the 49ers first round pick in 2008

Rd 3 - 091 -

Pats trade #91 pick to Raiders for Raiders 7th round pick (211) and Raiders 3rd round pick in 2008

Rd 4 - 110 - Traded to Raiders for Randy Moss
    Rd 4 - 127 - Kareen Brown DT, Miami
    Rd 5 - 171 - Clint Oldenburg OT, Colorado State
    Rd 6 - 180 - Justin Rogers DE, SMU
    Rd 6 - 202 - Mike Richardson CB, Notre Dame
    Rd 6 - 208 - Justise Hairston RB, Central Connecticut State
    Rd 6 - 209 - Corey Hillard G, Oklahoma State
    Rd 7 - 211 - From Raiders - Oscar Lua LB, USC
    Rd 7 - 247 - Mike Elgin G, Iowa
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Landing Moss, Meriweather, and a first rounder next year is an automatic A+. The rest of the picks just add more fluff.

Trading a forth round pick for Moss and getting Moss to redo his contract for 1 year $5M was incredible. Moss will workout in New England for the length of his contract. Expect Moss to have a good year next season.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

19,689 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    In some posts yesterday the word desperate kept coming up. Also a few comparisons to Dallas and Jerry Jones when trying to get the 4th title and especially when he traded to get Galloway. I don't see it. For one, the Pats are in better shape than Dallas was at the time. New England was in a tight AFC championship game. They were close to being champions again.

Dallas, unfortunately was never that close again after they won their 3rd in 4 years. They just had done a poor job of replacing and replinishing the talent on the team. It was a different league and it took a while to get used to the salary cap. New England has done a good job of managing those aspects. The more I think about it, I don't see desperation, but I see good moves. Barring injuries the Pats will be a top team this season.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Patriots come to Dallas October 14th. The question is, will either Meriweather or Moss still be with the team then?

:cool:
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

22,304 Messages
    2,804 Likes Received
    Strange draft.

I like the Merriweather choice. Excellent pick for a team that will know how to use him.

The rest is literally a mish mash of risks and dice rolls that a team in their postion can afford.

They just acquired a top WR for a 4th round choice and have a deep team that doesn't have a lot of holes.

This was much like our draft. Risky but with great payoff potential.

But they will succeed and fail somewhat. It just won't be noticed because they have done so many other things well that their dirty laundry does not need to be aired.
  6. 5mics

5mics Next Year's Champions

1,827 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Silly, silly statement. Meriweather was an excellent pick and Moss re-does his contract to go to NE, OF COURSE he's going to behave. Why do people continue to take shots at the Pats? They've proven themselves over and over again. They KNOW what they're doing...... :cool: