1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New mock with entire 1st round and all DAL picks

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Mar 16, 2011.

1. acer941

acer941 Member

222 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That case could be made for countless players. Rob Ryan could use Von Miller, Robert Quinn, DaQuan Bowers, Nick Fairley, J.J. Watt, Stephen Pea, Akeem Ayers. Jason Garret Could use A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert. What if Rob Ryan can't use Fairley? and he ends up like Vernon Gholston who not even Rex Ryan could get to perform well.

Nick Fairley has Decent run stopping ability. But he doesn't have the power to play in a 3-4 Defense. On just about all the plays he made in College was with his Quickness not his Power.

Find me 1 3-4 D-line that is Quick not Strong in a 3-4 Defense that produces.
  2. urface59

urface59 Active Member

1,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And Ratliff isn't big enough to be a NT... oh wait. 1. He does have the power, 2. Your argument that just because his college ran a 4-3 that's all he's good for is a pretty lame one.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    That's why I sent you back to his source.

:grin:
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Thanks, Hos.

Sorry I didn't clarify, Joe. It was a mock I made up myself. Would you be happy w/ this draft scenario?
  5. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    True, but how many "elite" players play defensive end in a 3-4 defense? You could make a case for Richard Seymour but I don't think he's special. A DE at the #9 overall pick just doesn't have good value in my opinion.
  6. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,955 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    Ditto.

Won't happen though. I don't see teams passing on him enough for Fairley to make it to #9.
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Good work. But something tells me we'd be better off with Carimi and I don't really see a need for an ILB. Is Wilson a pet cat or do you see ILB as that great a need?

I'd prefer a 2nd trade from 14 to the 20-22 range to snag Carimi.
    14 to 21 should net us the 53rd pick.

Now as far as needs go, I'd prefer 3 OL, 1 S and a DL were selected before taking an ILB.

And with the 21st, 41st, 47th and 53rd, we could do some real damage. Go get a top notch safety and really bolster the OL.
  8. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    lol, you guys are too funny :laugh2: :laugh2:
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,657 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Bradie is a FA in 2012 and he'll be 31 at that point. We could always resign him, but I think Martez and Lee would be a pretty good way to infuse youth into out defensive front, so I wouldn't be upset with picking a replacement up a year early and giving him time to learn.
  10. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You stole my thunder. Bradie James being in a contract year was the main reason, and Brooking will be gone after this year, IF he comes back. I have high hopes for Lee but our ILB play has been average at best. Having a difference maker in the middle could change things for the better. I also think this isn't a deep LB class so I'd prefer to get good value in the early 2nd.
  11. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,778 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    At this point Id be very surprised if Gabbert makes it through all those QB needy teams
  12. MarionBarberThe4th

11,778 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Ive heard some talk about Martez being stiff as hell and his workout numbers dont reflect his on field athleticism. I havent youtube'd him yet since I dont think its likely they take him
  13. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I know Dallas likes Greg Jones as well.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I don't know. I really don't love Wilson but I have not watch a lot of Illinois football this season so perhaps he's much better then I think he is.

We may be better off waiting for next years draft for ILB. Better prospects IMO.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,657 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I just think the results of an elite 3-4 DE is different from what we are used to using as measurement.
  16. MarionBarberThe4th

11,778 Messages
    45 Likes Received

I want PP/Quinn/Tyron but if they take a DE Ill look at it like going to the dentist. I may not like it at first, but once its over and done with Ill see the benefits

And even without pure sacks numbers we sure can use at least a little push from the trenches. It cant be all Ware.

Damn, we got some holes.
  17. acer941

acer941 Member

222 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Not as many as the REDSKINS!!!:lmao2:
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,955 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received

Having Ryan as the coordinator makes a big difference, in my mind. I think he will find ways to use Fairley to disrupt the offense. He will use multiple fronts a lot, which is going to give Fairley a lot of chances to use his upfield burst a lot more than he would just playing DE in a 34 all the time.

In passing situations, playing Nick in a 4 man line or in a variation of the 46 would put him in an ideal situation to use his talents. Plus, even in the regular 34, he would still have many chances to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage, sacks, etc.

Fairley is just so dam disruptive. That's why I'd love for us to draft him... but I'm not real excited about using our #1 on a DE if it isn't him. Getting Jordan or Watt... I just don't see them being nearly as disruptive or Ryan creating the ways to use them that he would with Fairley. I think any DE other than Fairley is just going to give us what Marcus Spears did, more or less.

So, if we can't get Fairley, then I'd say go CB or OL in round 1 and then address DE later in the draft.