1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New York Brothers Charged in $5M Lottery Scam

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by vta, Nov 14, 2012.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Who thinks of this garbage? Certainly not your run-of-the-mill thief.

Link
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I remember when this all first came up. I guess they finally decided to arrest them. I hope they both get the full 25 years. They deserve it.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'd never heard of it. That's pretty damned low of a thing to do.
    On sort of another note, I think the possible sentences are pretty strong. I'm not too sure rapists get such sentences.
  4. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Rape should be a minimum of 25 years.
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    With Grand Larceny being 8 years with the convicted rapist. :)
  6. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,270 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Along with some surgical snipping.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,219 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    Mandatory sentencing is BS. Should be based on facts / strength of evidence. Too easy for innocents to be convicted of rape.
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why the two can't exist mutually. It's not like the finding itself is mandated, the punishment is. If there's nothing but concrete evidence, there's nothing wrong with a mandatory minimum. People can be framed with or without a mandate.
  9. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    See the funny thing is, I believe if someone is caught lying with the intention of getting someone convicted of something that wasn't true, the liar should be subject to the same punishment for lying.

So, if a person lies and says someone raped them and it's later proven to not have been rape, then that person should be subject to the same punishment that is bestowed for rape. (in this case, 25 years for lying about rape being raped by said person)
  10. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    harsh but death penalty imo, those guys never change

edit: I'm thinking of the cases where pedophiles rape and kill as well as serial rapists where the DNA and other evidence is overwhelming, not in cases where a man is accused of date rape or falsely accused...can of worms is now open
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,219 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    That’s the thing though, specifically in rape cases, most often convictions occur through circumstantial evidence, as the victim is most always the only witness—this leaves a large margin for error. In cases of statutory rape, I have seen 19 year-olds convicted for having relations with willing 17 year-olds, and due to mandatory sentences, have seen significant jail time and added to sex offenders lists—even when their parents condoned the relationship and did not want to press charges. More generally, I believe that every case if different and the same punishment does not fit every crime. This is becoming more accepted and is why you see many states revising their 3-strike laws.
  12. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Seriously? Low of a thing to do? You are talking about New York City. The sludge in that town is second to none. I can't understand anyone wanting to live in that putrid element. Most of the people there are a bunch of cockroaches.

No thanks and I am not surprised at this story.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,094 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    Wow!

Kinda painting everyone in NYC with a very wide brush aren't you Dallas?

BTW this was in Syracuse, and not NYC.
  14. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I used to loadmaster on 747's while growing up for Everygreen Intl Airlines. I would fly to JFK 3-4x each and every week from Anchorage. Beautiful city but the populace there is just bad bad bad. I am certain not all are cockroaches as you say here Wini but it seems the bad farrrr outweigh any good there. This is only from my experience being in the city. People are just rude-crude and appear to just want to get one over on the average joe.

Its like everywhere you go they hate each other. Odd!

I am no fan of NYC and don't miss anything about it.

Syracuse huh? Never been there. I do like NY the state. Pretty place.
  15. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,537 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    why be humane about it? I think a nice sledge hammer should do the trick just fine.
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,742 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't think New Yorkers are much different than the average person who when put in the same sort of situation would basically act the same. Force people to crowd together and they become anti-social almost in self defense of having to interact with someone they think might either victimize them or ask them for something.

New Yorkers are generally indifferent, - almost to an appalling degree, - more so than criminal. I've watched crowds step over a person on the stairs of Penn Station after she'd wiped out. I'm sure after the first wave the rest may have just taken her for homeless, but it was pretty interesting to watch. (She managed to get up before I got there.) Nobody asked if she was ok or offered her a hand.

Of course opportunists use the sheer human numbers and anonymity of everything to their best advantage. I'd imagine being an NY Police Officer is one of the hardest jobs in the nation.
  17. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You are probably correct here VTA. I probably should not have generalized so much. Its just me reflecting back on my experience in the city and just watching people while visiting. Odd habit of mine is just sitting down in a large public venue and just checking out people coming and going and the interaction between everyone.

Most likely correct about the NYC police officer job. That has to be intense.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,396 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    Since when is Syracuse in New York City?????
  19. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think he is just talking about the scumbags from Utica. ;)

Either that or just knowing that I live in the NYC area. :laugh2:
  20. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,247 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Dateline, 20/20 or both did segments on this very thing. They did the hidden-camera sting deal and it was shocking how about 1 in every 5-6 stores/clerks did this to ppl.

One dumb-A, even denied it was him, or that he'd done it, as they're showing him the video right in the store, 15-mins after he did it! :bang2: