1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: New York Times In-Depth Cowboys Preview

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TheCount, Aug 8, 2011.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Read More: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/08/2011-dallas-cowboys-season-preview/

Wow.

I don't know if I agree, I still think the trenches are what holds this team back. The offense has been productive, except for when the offensive line and defensive line fall apart.

All that being said, I have definitely had issues with Garrett's playcalling at times over the last couple of years, as have the most of us.

Regardless, this is a tremendously well written article. Much better than a lot of the crap we get from the usual sources.
  2. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,334 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Pretty solid write-up. I didn't agree with all of it (and who the hell is Bryce McCann?), but a solid job overall by someone who doesn't cover the Cowboys on a daily basis.
  3. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,615 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    An excellent analysis. Probably the most non-biased, pro or con, preview I have read. The running back review probably was a little off, but overall, well-done.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,023 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    What a bunch of crap. Romo's not sharp enough to play in hazardous conditions? Those are the only conditions he's ever played in. And EVERY QB needs top targets and good protection to excel. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can't even play the game if they don't have pristine pockets to pass from. Has this guy never watched football or is he really that biased?
  5. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,705 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    I disagree about Romo some, as well as the assertion that "Laws of probability suggest the Cowboys won’t quite manage a top-flight passing attack," but not a bad piece...for a yankee. :D
  6. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,527 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    LOL @ choice getting more carries LOL oh boy I love mondays!
  7. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,705 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  8. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Very good read overall, although i don't agree with everything he has to say.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Wow, what a complete garbage article. What happened to the New York Times? That might as well have been some Giants fanboy writing for Bleacher Report.
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,592 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    So Romo is not a genius level QB (ie P Manning, Brees, Rogers & Brady) and the D is not only dumber than a box of rocks, but "embarassingly undisciplined"?

Was that the gist of it?
  11. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Given the highly critical tone of the article, the author's prediction is surprisingly charitable.
  12. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,444 Messages
    394 Likes Received
    I have to disagree with his trotting out Brees, Brady, Manning as QBs able to deliver top notch quarterbacking while under duress,,, none of those QBs are dealing with poor protection like Romo is.

I think he is right about Romo needing good receivers and decent protection, but not because of a supposed lack of mental ability to make quick reads,,, I think it's his physical limitations. He isn't very tall so having his own linemen and the other team's players up in his face and around his feet makes reads and throwing in a lane very tough. Also, he doesn't have a rocket arm that he can dominate coverage with. I don't think Brees would have done any better in this environment either. Aaron Rogers on the other hand was able to overcome poor protection and deliver the goods, but that guy has a fantastic arm,,, not to mention excellent + receivers.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Not really. It actually is a pretty objective look, but coming off a 6 win season, he's obviously going to find more negatives than he would analyzing the Packers.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,066 Messages
    2,833 Likes Received
    I have to disagree with his trotting out Brees, Brady, Manning as QBs able to deliver top notch quarterbacking while under duress,,, none of those QBs are dealing with poor protection like Romo is.

I agree egg. Teams around the NFL invest big money into top pass rushers why? Because you force mistakes by QB's when you can apply pressure. I don't care who the QB is if your hitting them and constantly in their face they will make mistakes.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    I didn't agree with everything they said, but this was one of the more objective pieces on the Cowboys so far this preseason.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    That was a good read.
  17. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

Minus the Romo section, I think most of it is pretty fair for a guy who doesn't cover the Cowboys.

I'd rather read that over most of the bleacher report articles.
  18. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,366 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    Not a bad analysis. Hit on the player focus which seemed right since they re-focused once JG stepped in.

Has Jerry pretty well nailed.
    I think his "really nice guy" comment is a stretch. I think Garrett is going to be a behind closed doors disciplinarian type coach. The nice guy is the public persona.

Dead wrong on Romo I think. Give Romo time and he can be just as good as any one. Brady and Manning both play bad when hit often. Matter of fact they both start whining when it happens.;)

Agree with him about the O line.
    The defense is yet to be seen run under Ryan so other than what we think the weaknesses are, who knows.
  19. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Laws of probability suggest the Cowboys won’t quite manage a top-flight passing attack. This makes the running back tandem of Tashard Choice and Felix Jones all the more important. Expect Jones to start – he’s a former first-round pick. But don’t censure the Cowboys if they give the heavier load on Choice. He has fantastic lateral agility, a sounder inside running style and better durability than the electrifying Jones. Third-round pick DeMarco Murray, barring injuries like the hamstring that sidelined him during the start of training camp, will also figure into the rotation. Murray, like the veterans ahead of him, is a finesse runner.

Garrett might surprise many and use Choice alot this year, it he stays, and I hope he does. Just don't trust Felix or Murray in terms of Durability.
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    he’s just not a sharp enough quarterback to thrive under hazardous conditions.

This!