1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New Zealand Gov't Refuses To Remove 'Guilt Upon Accusation' Clause In Copyright Act

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,139 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    Recently, New Zealand passed a copyright law similar to ones being pushed elsewhere by the entertainment industry, that would require accused file sharers to be cut off from their internet connection, based on the accusation alone. This seems to go against any concept of due process, and even musicians (who this law was supposed to help) came out against it loudly. Unfortunately, the politicians who put the law in place clearly had their minds already made up, and are refusing to change the law, which will go into effect in just a few weeks. Apparently, they want to see how it works in action, before making a decision on whether to change it -- which I'm sure will be quite comforting to those who lose their internet access without any proof or conviction of unauthorized file sharing.

Source

-------------

A little different than what we usually talk about around here, but I find this absolutely ridiculous. The idea that the government can become a private police for the media companies is absolutely horrendous.

This means, for the business owners, that if someone at your office downloads something and a media company declares it illegal (whether it might be or not), your entire business can get cut off from the internet without so much as a phone call.
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cut of a bunch of business from working grow the economy yea that is going to help production. lus all other types of stuff yea great stuff
  3. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,301 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    They should accuse all the lawmakers, and the government as a whole...

Edit: I'm sure they made sure THEY were exempt though.