1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New Zealand Votes to Legalize Smacking Kids

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Nice post, Hos. This is one area that I've had lots of experience, as I investigated reports of abuse and neglect for more than twenty years. I know that the thing I wanted to assess first with a report was the intent of the parent along with the circumstnces of the incident being reported. I've encountered reports where a parent has taken action to deal with a child's safety and has given them a swat to correct that behaviour. Those families generally rarely use any form of corporal punishment.

I've dealt with other, more disconcerting situations. I had one report where a 9 year old boy was found by his phys-ed teacher to have welt-shaped bruises starting around his shoulder blades and going down to the backs of his knees. His mother was interviewed and she indicated that he had not completed his chores to her satisfaction. She made the decision to hit him with an electrical cord until she lost her breath. She made no apologies for her actions, citing her religious beliefs as justification. Neither my colleagues nor I viewed that as justification for her behaviour and removed the child. It was no fun for anybody, but I would have to characterize that as abuse.

I've dealt with a variety of incidents over the years and had to allay a lot of anxious parent's fears. I don't believe that children are the property of their parents and that they can do as they [please, but I do believe that the family is the primary bedrock of our society and I have worked to preserve it wherever possible, keeping in mind the safety, security, and development of the children involved.

Do I think corporal punishment is effective? Not generally. I think there are more effective means of changing children's behaviour. Would I elect prosecute someone for using it? It would depend on the severity of the means used and any ongoing pattern of behaviour. Taking a child away from his/her family could be just as or more traumatic than the incident itself. It's rarely a clear cut, black or white decision, and I'd rather work with a parent than over them.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,039 Likes Received
    I have no issue at all with parents spanking their child. Not all parents do and that is fine for those who do believe in it there should be no law against it. I think society in general goes overboard and tries to equate beating a child to a spanking. I don't think many would agree that a parent has the right to physically abuse a child or to punch and beat a child however that is much different than a mere spanking.
  3. Phrozen Phil

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    THe challenge with that is the term "spanking" is somewhat subjective. If contact is rasing welts or bruises, then one needs to consider if a line has been crossed.
  4. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,796 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I was also spanked as a child. I was once even spanked with a wire cloths hanger. Of course this was when I was 12 yrs old and laughed at my mother while she was using her hand. That was the first time something like that happened and the last time I was spanked. Now she smacked my mouth a few times after that for back talking.

Now that I am a parent I do spank my children. Not all the time but as a last resort. And when I do it is always on the behind. Not on the legs, back or anywhere else. I believe that is one of the reasons why the Good Lord gave us so much padding back there....lol
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Crying children in public need a good smacking. Especially the ones crying in an attempt to get their parents to do something. (if they are actually hurt, then I understand)

Actually, the parents that can't control their children need a good smacking too. Lets upgrade that from a smacking to an outright beating. :laugh2:
  6. Phrozen Phil

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Bend over, you little #%*+@. :spanking:
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I always got "The Belt" :laugh2:

To me, spanking is only used to set the standard of what the outcome will be. For instance, when my wife and I first got married, the kids would run all over her. She didn't (and still doesn't) believe in spanking.

The kids wouldn't listen to me or her for that matter. I set her down and told her that a line has to be drawn that has serious consequence and that she, not I had to enforce it.

One day our daughter would not relent and my wife educated her in the fact that we would no longer tolerate that. Her brother saw it happen and in the three years we've been married it has never gotten to that point again. (not even the threat of it)

They still give her a hard time if I'm not around, but nothing like they used too. A big reason is she gives in a lot if they pester her. If they start to get more than she can handle, she just tells them she is going to call me. They won't even attempt that with me because I never bend once it (whatever *it* maybe) has been decided.
  8. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,796 Messages
    7 Likes Received

Wow that sounds like my household. We have 3 kids plus 2 foster kids. They all call me the dictator and my wife is the pushover :lmao2: