1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NewsObserver: Wes Phillips on fast track

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 7, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,385 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Tony Gutierrez - AP
    Cowboys assistant coach Wes Phillips may be following in the footsteps of his grandfather and father.

BY GERRY FRALEY - Dallas Morning News

IRVING, Texas -- Bum Phillips, whose football roots reach back to Bear Bryant, insists grandson Wes will be the best coach in the family.

Judging from coach Jason Garrett's first staff with the Dallas Cowboys, Bum Phillips was speaking out of more than family pride.

Wes Phillips will return for his fifth season with the Cowboys, in the role of assistant offensive line coach. The promotion shows Wes Phillips is a rising coaching talent carving out an identity rather than a fortunate son.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/06/1032478/phillips-on-fast-track.html#ixzz1Fvg4crq8
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,452 Likes Received
    It does say a lot about Wes Phillips ability as a coach. I'm sure Wes sees what happened to his dad as part of the business they are in. Heck Wade was named interim HC in NO when Bum got fired. It is just part of the business
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,782 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
  4. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,693 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Whats are Wes' credentials as an O-Line coach? Has he had any experience in this area? I'm not criticizing the promotion, but I wonder what he brings to the table as far as O-line instruction, teaching and coaching goes.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,385 Likes Received
    The article explains that he doesn't have any previous experience working with the OL.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,782 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Did you have a problem with Dan Campell's credentials? He was an assistant offense coach for the dolphins just like Wes has been with the Cowboys. Same for Bruce Matthews except he was a former OL in the league(and Campbell was of a course a former TE.)
  7. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No, for Fraley, thats par for the course. Seems like he relishes in trying to take digs at players/coaches at every chance he gets. And normally he is clueless on most things he comments on.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Still don't trust him.

Not sure I can trust anyone who's part Wade.

Prove me wrong, Wes. Show me you aren't your father's son.
  9. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I doubt he cares one bit about what you or I think about him. As long as Garrett thinks he is doign good job, and trusts him that is.
  10. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,112 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    millions of people know Xs and Os, so lack of experience is not a problem--coaching is more about inspiring and motivating players than knowledge of the game--granted it does take experience to do that, but the Cowboys need accountability and not knowledge, a coach who will drive them to success, not one who can talk a good game--we've had plenty of experienced cupcakes
  11. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,607 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Realize that most coaches are not pigeon holed into coaching one position their entire career. Wes was a QB coach or offensive coordinator in college (I believe?), thus him working as an assistant OL coach will get him to learn from Hudson Houck, which may enhance what he already knows?
  12. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Exactly. If he wants to be an Offensive Coordinator or someday Head Coach, he needs to know how to coach all aspects of that side of the ball.