1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Newsome gives Ravens secret weapon

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cogan, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Cogan

Cogan Active Member

1,500 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    When Art Modell left Cleveland, the smartest thing he did was take former Hall of Fame TE Ozzie Newsome along. Ozzie was eventually named President of the newly formed Baltimore Ravens, & the rest is history. Newsome is a Hall of Fame executive, as well, drafting great players such as Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Nata, Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, etc.

They are 4-1 & to no one's surprise, sit atop the AFC North. Their defense has become as famous for it's toughness as the Steelers', & their offense has dramatically improved. Unlike the Cowboys, they actually draft offensive linemen with regularity: 2nd & 4th rds. in '12, 3rd rd. in '11, 6th in '10, & 1st in '09 & '07.

They also brought in former 1st rd. pick Bryant McKinney in '11 to bolster their attack. THAT's how you build a powerful OL, & why Ray Rice & Co. run wild through the NFL year after year.

I just hope the Cowboys soon begin to copy the Raven's model of taking offensive lineman high in the draft and bringing in better players from other teams. Until they do, our running game will stall, & Tony Romo (or whomever) will be running for their lives. This line they have now is the worst in the league, and a shame to put on the field. It quite frankly makes me angry.
  2. visionary

visionary Benched

7,527 Messages
    2,109 Likes Received
    good luck expecting this from a GM who has no plan, thinks OL can be put together with duct tape, and the way to build a great defense is by spending money on CBs

sad but true
  3. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

893 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I disagree. GM has a plan, and that plan is to draft glitzy picks with high potential, just to make a splash.
  4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,595 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    They have a really good organizational structure.

Steve Bisciotti is a great owner, Newsome is a well respected GM and Harbaugh seems to be the real deal as well. They have really made that team a legit contender year in and year out.
  5. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    165 Likes Received

Does anyone think part of this thinking by him, is motivating by selling jerseys and revenue connected with those picks? What I mean is, Dez Bryant being drafted equals $1mill in revenue in jerseys and merchandise sales, where as an OL pick, might result in $250,000(random number).
  6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,595 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

Bryant is from Texas, played college ball up the road, has a huge fan base. Hand-selected his jersey number and already pronounced him to be the next great '88'.

I didn't regret the move then and I still don't now. Makes good sense from a business and personel standpoint.

Even when Bryant gets in trouble, it still means people are talking about Dallas, more exposure, more visibility to the brand. Good or bad, news is news.
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I like the way the chiefa have built their OL
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I wish we got Winston/ and Myers or Wells.
  9. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

893 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    valid points, but, winning will also have people talking about Dallas, will get the team exposure, creating more visibility to the brand. The Cowboys brand is solidified and has the exposure. Why does he need more? A winning team will get him what he wants both financially, and on the field.
  10. visionary

visionary Benched

7,527 Messages
    2,109 Likes Received
    Jerry jones priorities:

1. EGO
    2. EGO
    3. EGO
    4. Money
    5. Money
    6. Money
    10. Winning football team (this only if he gets credit)

Because he knows that what generates revenue is controversy and being in the news more than winning

also, he knows all about controversy and being in the news and knows absolutely nothing about building a consistent, winning NFL franchise

"no publicity is bad publicity"
  11. visionary

visionary Benched

7,527 Messages
    2,109 Likes Received
    he has no idea how to build a winning NFL franchise, if he hires someone else to do it, they will get the credit (like jimmy did and he wants no part of that)

AND

it is easier to create media attention/controversy and generate revenue that way
  12. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,741 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    EXACTLY.

Nothing would make the Cowboys more profitable than winning.
  13. VACowboy

3,741 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    We all have our opinions. Mine is that Jerry wants his team to win about 100000x more than anyone else. He's just not very good at what it takes to make it happen. Nothing would boost his ego more or make him more money than winning.
  14. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with this.
  15. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    He wants to win that much only if it sells a jersey in a pro shop.

His thirst of winning is overstated. Winning can be accomplished in a number of ways to Jerry, only one way to us.
  16. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    yet they never win the ring
  17. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,416 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Don't forget showcasing himself in 50 more commercial spots between now and the Super Bowl.
  18. VACowboy

3,741 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    If the team goes to the SB, or even makes a playoff run, or even just consistently makes the postseason, the number of shirts Jerry sells rises geometrically. It may be true that Jerry wants the Cowboys to win for different reasons than you and I do, but I don't think there's anyone in the world that wants it to happen more than Jerry Jones. Doesn't mean he's capeable of making it happen.
  19. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,652 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Bingo, everything else leaves money on the table