1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NewyScruggs Blog: Wade Phillips Stands Behind Michael Vick

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 31, 2007.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    You read the headline right. The new coach of the Dallas Cowboys is standing behind embattled Falcons quarterback Mike Vick.

[IMG]

Before you become outraged, read on.

I sat down with Wade Phillips this afternoon for a one on one interview. You can catch that interview on Sports Extra tonight at 10:30 PM on NBC 5.

I asked him about his former quarterback, Michael Vick, who is dealing with an indictment for running a dogfighting ring.

Phillips was the defensive coordinator for the Falcons in 2003 and replaced Dan Reeves who would resign during the season.

He told me was surprised at all the negative events going on Vick's life. Here is some of his thoughts:

"I took over as the interim coach the last three games. We won two of ‘em. Michael played outstanding in those games. He was great on the field."

"I don’t know all the answers. I don’t know what’s happenend…I don’t know…maybe the people that were around him…those kind of things. I still gonna be on his side until something happens."

These days sticking up for Vick is tough business. Just ask Emmitt Smith, Clinton Portis, and Deion Sanders.

Phillips thinks Vick is a good guy and admits he doesn't have all the facts in the case. He has not read the ugly 18 page indictment of his alleged actions. He doesn't have time, he's got a job to do.

Newy Scruggs
    www.newdawg.com

Posted at 5:51 PM
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    It appears that Phillips will not say anything negative about anyone to the media. And its not his place to do that, i like that about him.
  3. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Vick is a good guy.........but, he hung out with the wrong crowd.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I thought he was suppose to be a leader?
  5. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips and Crazy Cowboy - card-carrying "Vick Supporters".

I bet you guys are huge fans of "Pac-Thug" and Chris Henry, too.
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Oh, this is going to be a gem of a thread.

I see no problems with Wade's comments. But then again, I've made comments similar to what Wade said. I wonder if the usual suspects will be here to criticise Wade.
  7. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I would argue that "good guys" don't hang out with people that fight and kill dogs for kicks. But that is just me.
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    How does Newy still have a job. I can't stand that guy. Not seeing him anymore is probably the best thing about moving to NY. :puke:
  9. carphalen5150

carphalen5150 New Member

1,064 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vick is cool, but Ron Mexico is the real problem.
  10. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,367 Messages
    304 Likes Received
    I think only an idiot wouldn't wait for Vick to have his due process despite everything that you know. Good for Wade Phillips.
  11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    The 'No Comment' alternative is dead! Long live the unnecessary soundbite!
  12. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    Even if Vick is found guilty why is it the place of the cowboys HC to comment and stir up the media.

The "no comment" approach is correct IMO, this is not Wade's problem to deal with.
  13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Just wait. After ESPN gets their hands on his comments, they are going to run with it like there is no tomorrow.
  14. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    LOL, yes....this just in, wade phillips supports Vick in all that he does and stand behind his former QB 100%.
  15. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This will be Wade's first opportunity to see what being head coach of the Dallas Cowboys means for good and the bad. He doesn't yet understand he's on center stage and every comment or happening attributed (rightly or wrongly) to anyone connected to the Cowboys will be interpreted in which ever way the bias goes.

Having said that, Phillips should have answered either with a no comment or simply say he was temporary head coach of the Falcons and Vick played well for him and was a good person. Then either just say "I've got nothing else to say" or he's innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Period

I one of those whose horrified by those allegations against Vick. Haven't read the indictment but have heard enough from people who have and on the TV citing dogs being killed and methods used, etc. I fully understand the general revulsion towards those activities. It's seems to be there is an awful lot of evidence and will be eye witnesses against Vick. I sure wouldn't be rooting for him but also fully understand the Feds must prove those charges. Won't be surprised if one juror refuses to find him guilty cause he's a celebrity but that doesn't necessary mean the rest of the country would consider him guilty -- see OJ.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Wade didn't say anything stupid about the Vick situation(he was very PC about it), while Smith, Portis, and Sanders did say some stupid things centered around animal cruelty. There is no comparison.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    Honestly, it's not about whether he said anything stupid or not. If you even hint that you support Vick or that you're going to wait until due process has been had before rushing to judgement, then you might as well have tried to cross a PETA picket line.
  18. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I wonder if PETA will be upset with Wade/Cowboys organization.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Considering our big boys could eat 2 or 3 cows a day I'm sure PETA is not a fan of ours. :lmao2: As for Wade comments I think he would have said the same thing if Vick was facing some other charges.
  20. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Am I talking to Miranda right now?