1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFC East - Thanks Giants, Broncos

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Oct 27, 2013.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Trust me. This isnt a RA-RA thread.

I am just pulling the positives of the day(our division) as a whole.

I feel we should be at least 6-2... but we're not.
    Red Dragon likes this.
  2. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    I gotta tell ya... its more just stating the events and where they currently leave us. It tough to be optimistic with this team/players/organization.
    Its the Einstein quote, "team keeps doing the same thing, expecting a different result" It is INSANITY for us fans.
  3. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    7-9 could win this lousy division, then, host the 49ers in the playoffs and lose by 17 points and wait for April to have the 20th pick in the 2014 draft. Clean, rinse, repeat. same ol same ol =mediocre franchise.
  4. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

440 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Dallas ? I'm sure the Giants are quaking in their boots at the prospect of getting us in their house. We don't belong in that list but ipretty much guarantee the Gints go no worse than 1-4.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I think people should worry more about the offense.

If you get 4 turnovers and you're heading into the 4th quarter and you've only scored 13 points and half of those came on a drive starting at the opponents 4 yard line, you have some problems on offense. 4 turnovers heading into the 4th quarter and Dallas is still losing the time of possession battle by over 4 minutes at that point.

At the end of the 3rd quarter they were handed the ball at the 35 yard line and still had to attempt a 52 yard FG because they couldn't gain a single yard.

The defense was getting gashed but they were basically erasing all those plays by taking the ball away. No matter how pretty it is, holding a team to 7 points going into the 4th quarter and getting 4 takeaways along the way should mean the game is a complete rout. Unless your offense doesn't next to nothing with all the opportunities it is given for those 3 quarters.

The defense is in bad shape. This shouldn't surprise anyone. The have guys off the streets on the DL and they have guys who are coming off the practice squad at safety. Problems on the front end and problems on the back end. The team has 3-4 projected starting DL who haven't even really played and safety play has been hit or miss even when healthy. They cut their opening day safety. That's 4 starts who are basically not on the team. Did anyone honestly expect the type of shutdown performances that we have seen against the Redskins and Eagles?

Up until now the offense has lost 1 projected starter in Miles Austin. That has been more than offset by Williams coming into his own. The OL is stronger now than it has been at any point over the last 2-3 years. Why does this unit continue to be so dependent on the big play and why do they still have games where the offensive production is rather pedestrian and largely aided by numerous takeaways and short fields?

The defense likely cannot improve because they have street free agents playing multiple positions on the DL and they have practice squad guys playing safety.

The offense can improve and needs to.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,127 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received

The defense is simply getting tired from playing on the field all game from the offenses incompetence.
  7. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

767 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    It improved immensely after Dez went off on Romo. Then.. Conservative Callahan ? Garrett happened
  8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Why is this a weird season?

400-yard passing games allowed in 2013...

Dallas 4
    rest of NFL 6

And we're in 1st place, thanks in large part to our defense.
  9. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    974 Likes Received
  10. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,292 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Turnover differential helps. That is something Monte Kiffin has improved at least. I sure wish our Garrett/Callahan coached offense could do something with it.
  11. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    That play wasn't anything different than the numerous other stopping routes Dez has been running all year. A missed/broken tackle and a burst to the endzone.

It's not like the team opened it up. The WRs made a play after the catch that turned what would have been just a conservative play into a TD.
  12. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

767 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Romo had been overthrowing drag routes to Dwayne Harris among other plays before that. So I would say yes, there was something different.
  13. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Agreed. I dont think that Bryants antics had any bearing whatsoever on the play calling.

Im just lost when I watching. Seems the team has been reemed for not establishing a run game for years... Often now it feels like they are spending to much time trying to get it started.
  14. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,897 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    As much as it hurts, in the long run this game doesn't really matter unless someone else in the division goes on an unlikely run. This team simply isn't going to go the 12-4 or maybe even 13-3 that would be needed to get a first round bye. So whether it's 7-9 or 10-6, if you win the East you will host a wild card game and then you will hit the road. Of course, I say that and now we will probably end up tied with the Lions for a wild card or something.. :)
  15. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,360 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    Why? Is our high blood pressure somehow going to improve the Cowboys' win-loss standings?
  16. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    The O is only giving the team leads if the defense prevents or slows down the opposing offense.

That's a two-way street.

It's not like the offense has been jumping out to two and three score leads only to have the defense completely collapse. It's basically been the offense leaving the defense with the slimmest margin of error possible.

In KC, Dallas kicks a FG in the 3rd quarter to go up 13 to 7.

"Well, there's your lead. Try not to give up more than a TD because we've only got another FG left in the tank".

Against SD, Lee puts the team up 21-10 and you basically have the offense taking the rest of the afternoon off

Today, Dallas is up 3 with 3:33 left to play and they don't force the Lions to use what would be their 2nd timeout by having Romo pass on 3rd and 12. This after they ran on consecutive plays and lost yardage with the Lions using their 1st timeout after the 2nd down run.

"Alright D, you've got your lead but if you get us a stop here the game is over. Sorry about not having them burn that 2nd timeout but like I said, get a stop here and this one is in the books".
    Defense forces a turnover on downs. Offense comes out and because DET has two timeouts left they stop the clock twice before the penalty gives the Lions an additional timeout.

"Alright D. Still got your lead and while I know the game should be over after your last stop and the offense kinda screwed that up, if you just get this one last stop for us that would definitely be the end of the game".

As it played out the Lions used their 2nd timeout at 1:19. Had Dallas ran on the previous possession, that's Detroit's last timeout and Dallas can take a knee.

Today the offense set the defense up for failure. They essentially gave Detroit that last possession by not running on 3rd and 12 on the previous possession. The defense got what would have been a game clinching turnover on downs. And then to top that off, the offense gave Detroit an extra 40 seconds of clock by getting a penalty on the 3rd down play that should have never happened in the first place. Had Dallas forced Detroit to use that timeout on the previous possession, the game is over after the turnover on downs. Dallas just takes a knee and can run out the entire clock.
    kevm3 likes this.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Still mediocrity I do not care how you look at it... It amazes me how people are satisfied with that mind set.
  18. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,917 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Fix it for ya!
  19. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Satisfied? I dont think anyone would perfer this over 8-0.
    What would you as a fan do to change anything? Nothing becuase you have no sayso. You either take it or leave it. You gonna go to Romos house and get him to run some windsprints?
    Well, I guess you can cry about it.
    P.S. That wont change anything.
  20. theanimal23

theanimal23 Member

277 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    The typical NFC East update --- Cowboys allowing the rest of the divisional teams within grasp of the division lead.

Nice to know we are in first, but this will pan out as it has over the last several years -- a finale loss, or the Giants going on another run. San Diego, Denver, and Detroit...
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.