1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

NFC Playoff Race: Our Week 12 Outcomes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sunbum, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

5,294 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    Since 1991, I'm only programmed to look at the playoff picture after November
  2. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

11,970 Messages
    3,242 Likes Received
    Look at our schedule and compare it to the Giants'. Where are the losses coming for the Giants and where are the losses coming for the Cowboys?

Giants potential losses: Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, Baltimore

Cowboys potential losses: Washington (twice), Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, New Orleans.

If the Giants lose all the games they might (and they won't): at worst they are 8-8. Assuming the Giants finish 9-7, we can only lose two more games the rest of the way to have a shot at winning the division.
  3. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,620 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Actually, I think they have a better chance beating them than some of the other teams they face down the road.

They play well in big games, they just do.

Eli is due for a good game because he has stunk up the joint for the last few weeks!

Typical inconsistent Eli.....
  4. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

791 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Washington and Cincy are winnable games.. at worst, we'll go 2 out of 3 in those games imo. any other scenario and we're out of the playoffs because we need to hold the divison tiebreaker over the Giants.

They were saying today Big Ben might be done for the season, if so, that game turns very winnable instead of a toss up.

Saints are a toss up to probably loss but I do think getting to 9-7 is doable if the Cowboys handle their division games. Giants offense must turn it around cause they don't have the defense to stop the Saints or Packers at all.
  5. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

9,225 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    I would agree with this but Green Bay has probably circled this game for a while. A revenge game for last year's playoff loss that they thought was a fluke anyway(their words not mine).
  6. mldardy

9,225 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    The next two games are the most critical because they are division games. We'll be 4-1 in the division with one game left @WAS. So at worst we'd be 4-2 in the division. The Giants already have 2 losses in the division with games @WAS, PHI left. Probably both winnable games for them so they could be 4-2 at that point. So winning these next two games are ultra important to how the rest of the season goes. We can probably afford to lose one of those AFC games against Cincy and Pitt but not the division games. Ideally of course I'd like to win this division outright without tiebreakers but if it comes down to that we need to win as many division games as we can.
  7. djmajestik

djmajestik Well-Known Member

1,073 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Yeah not really sure how that one was so hard to figure out!!
  8. links18

11,970 Messages
    3,242 Likes Received
    Math is never simple. :eek:
  9. links18

11,970 Messages
    3,242 Likes Received
    All of which just highlights how absolutely critical Thursday's game is, yet it seems so many are taking it lightly.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,480 Messages
    3,046 Likes Received
    no offense bro but lotsa of errors in your synopsis.

the records you include are NOT divisional record but overall record.

that makes the initial seeding list incorrect. (where there are ties).

and overall record is deciding factor. dallas can be .5 games out of first thursday. they would then own the tie-breaker if NYG loses so take 1st place of the nfce by virtue of a better divisional record. Dallas would be at 3-1 with everyone else under .500 in the division.

playoff seeds are then determined by head to head then CONF records.
    Dallas is 4-4 in Conference. I always try to put Seattle in the AFC and thought them 4-3... so bummer there to me. Dallas needs to beat its conference opponents to finish the season. a loss to the steelers doesnt hurt much unless you are going to lose a conference game or two as well.
  11. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

5,229 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Thanks to tiebreakers, we can win the division if we simply hold serve with the Giants, matchup by matchup. What will that take? So far:

We split with each other. Even.

We've won one game they lost (PHI), and they've won one game we lost (the NFCW game). Even, but this exchange is where our tiebreak advantage comes from.

We each beat CAR, TB and CLE. Even.

They beat WAS. To hold serve, we need to as well.

We lost to ATL, BAL and NFCN (CHI). To hold serve, all those teams (sub in GB) have to beat them.

They lost to PIT and CIN. If we can win one or both of these, we can offset gains they might make in the three games above.

We each have NO and the PHI & WAS rematches remaining. We need to match whatever they do there.

Tough road. I think they win one of those ATL/BAL/GB games and I think they match up against NO better than we do. We really have to beat WAS (duh) and I think we'll have to pick off one if not both of those AFC teams.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,480 Messages
    3,046 Likes Received
    only going to disagree with the match up versus the saints.

dallas should match up better. we have a better coverage unit to match those WRs. we are 6th in passing defense while nyg is 25th.

the saints give up over 300 yards a game passing. they give up the most yards per game of any team in the NFL. if they dont carve up teams with scoring they lose.
  13. mldardy

9,225 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    That Broncos game the Saints played a few weeks ago is a good indicator of how that team is when the offense isn't clicking. And who knows where the Saints will be by time we play them, they have a pretty tough schedule the next few weeks.
  14. CowboysFanSince88

5,294 Messages
    477 Likes Received

The Saints can score points so what they give up is irrelevant. Just ask the

Eagles, Falcons, and Raiders
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,480 Messages
    3,046 Likes Received
    actually it is very relevant.

the team who scores MOST wins. dallas is in far better shape to slow down their scoring because we stop the pass very well.

EVERYONE scores on New Orleans so we will also.

It's simply who scores more.
    The comparison isn't complicated. The Giants will likely need to score a lot more points to win than we would.
  16. CowboysFanSince88

5,294 Messages
    477 Likes Received

Let me see if I can break it down to you

The Saints get the ball first and score on their 1st possession. Then the cowboys throw a incomplete pass and the Saints get the ball back score again to go up 10-0 or 14-0.

Once that happens the pressure is no longer on the saints defense it's on the Cowboys offense because they would have to pass more

So try not to look too much into defensive stats
  17. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

7,142 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
  18. sunbum

sunbum Well-Known Member

1,413 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    It's all good but I didn't post "division records". Maybe formatting makes it hard to read but I listed the division of each team and their overall record. I misspoke about our Boys being up a 1/2 game if we win on Thursday, my bad.

My intent is to share my excitement, for the moment anyways, being we have a shot for post season play by listing the various game outcomes to improve our chances. I think that's fun and for me, that simple fun is deserved for my many many years of loyalty.

Now only if we could show up in the first half like we've been playing in the second halves lately, we'd have a serious shot!

This team is eclectic to put it nicely so if only they could figure out their issues in time, things could get interesting. And it's happened before, many times, like with our division neighbors and we all know how that turned out.