1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFL: Brandon Weeden: I tried to do too much with Browns...w/audio

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,804 Messages
    5,332 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm gonna...like...disagree with you there. There is an advantage entering the league in your late 20s. The transition should have been easier for Weeden.
    junk likes this.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,944 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    Then we disagree because age does not factor into it going from college to pros is a big leap be it a 21 year old of an older player. Staubach did not set the league on fire it took him some time and again another player entering the league late in life. I don't know if Weeden will make it or not, he has some good skills to play the position but if things do not work Dallas took little to no risk on bringing him to Dallas.
  3. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    On the contrary, adjustments have been made in Dallas but no over hauls. Jerry wants and will keep JG here.
  4. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,637 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    I agree. but if you failed at what you dreamed and love you have to perform at a top level for people to see that even though football was your second choice you love it and not trying to collect a paycheck.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    He's a backup. Too old to be a developmental player, not good enough to start.

If I can see as little of him as possible, I'll be fine.
    MarkP88 and yentl911 like this.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,908 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    Age might put you in a better position to handle a transition emotionally. It makes it more likely you're going to be less distracted off the field, too. It obviously does nothing to help you adapt to NFL speed and decision making and all the other things Weeden struggled with in CLE.

He was a stupid pick by them at his age and at that point in the draft. As a second or third rounder, he'd have been an ok risk. As a VFA, it's a no brainer to bring him in and take a look when you want a 4th QB for camp, anyway.
  7. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,477 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I think the guy is a dud. I think we could have gone after someone else that maybe had some upside. McCoy would have been much better than Weeden. I would not mind making a play for Mallett in NE either to be honest. With Orton coming back I would have brought in a few kids for arms in camp - churn the roster - and see if any of them stand out for the good. Weeden is a waste IMO.
  8. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,477 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    This.
  9. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    What if he becomes the franchise QB after Romo retires?
  10. Doomsday101

74,944 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    John Elway was split and was willing to walk. I think a person is capable of loving both. Bo Jackson did and so did Deion. Weeden showed a lot in college I have no problem with him in Dallas given the contract and if he can show himself as many scouts felt about him then he can have a good career in the NFL
  11. Doomsday101

74,944 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    I agree some teams would not take him in the 1st rd not because of the lack of ability they saw but because of his age.
  12. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,515 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    This. Why do we keep hearing about him here? He's the 3rd string QB.
  13. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

1,995 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    Not quite but if it makes you feel better, then have at it I guess.
  14. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,204 Messages
    606 Likes Received
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    He's gonna be 31 this year.

Count Romo for at least 1 more season, likely more.

He's not gonna be the franchise QB at 32 or older. His best chance would be to play the role of stopgap until the team found someone.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,411 Messages
    3,661 Likes Received
    Because he has been identified by our head coach as a developmental QB. In other words, he is probably the backup in 2015 if he shows improvement.

They are not going to keep Orton until his contract expires in 2016. More than likely they will cut Orton in 2015.
    junk likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

74,944 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    Not a matter of feeling better Troy did not do well when he entered the league that is fact and it took time that is all I'm getting at.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Welcome to the offseason. Hopefully we will be thinking about the draft in a few weeks. Until then........
  19. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

1,995 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    I understand where you're getting at but Troy improved in each of his first three years in the league. By his third year, he was 7 and 5 as a starter and in the top 10 in passer rating, passing yards per game (#5), yards per pass attempt (#4), passes completed per game and completing percentage (65.3%, #2 in the NFL).

He didn't suck his first 3 years in the league by any stretch. By his third year, he was in the Pro-Bowl.
  20. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,683 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Brandon said all the right things as you might expect from someone joining a new team and taking care not to misspeak. The pregnant question is: can he handle his new duties as well as he handled that interview? If so, welcome, Brandon Weeden.