1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL.com - DeMarcus Ware not open to paycut, 50% chance he's cut

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    The New Orleans game when they were undefeated and Ware sacked Brees on the final drive and forced and fumble is the only time I can remember Ware making a play in crunch time.

Just saying.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,251 Messages
    2,450 Likes Received
    It will end up being one of those cost/benefit things.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Remember, he was stretchered off the week before in San Diego.

That NO game is still the brightest moment in the franchises history since I became old enough to comprehend football.
  4. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'd give Ware one more year to see if he bounces back or if he's truly on his last legs. Besides, at this rate, it's unlikely Spencer comes back. No way we pay him after micro-fracture surgery. We'll need at least one productive DE on the line, jury is still out to see if Selvie can continue to play like he did last year.
  5. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Wow. I really feel bad for the yonger generation cowboy fans.
    Air Force One likes this.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    7,576 Likes Received
    This argument has been tackled so many times that it's not worth revisiting. I remember AdamJT blowing it out of the water so thoroughly, there wasn't even a grease spot left over from the person he was arguing with. I'm not going to engage it again, but just say for the record that I think you're dead wrong and leave it at that.

That said, it's not about Ware's past, it's about what we're likely to get for our money this season and the year after that we should be concerned with. And the answer to that looks like 'not enough' from where I'm sitting.
  7. JsnSA

JsnSA Member

169 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Sorry, I am a bit late answering this. My view is that we can easily replace the 6 sacks and 40 tackles he had last season with a cheap FA or preferably a decent draft pick. The odds that the old Demarcus Ware is going to return are slim. Instead what we will most likely get is just an old Demarcus Ware.

We might get flashes of great player here and there but its highly doubtful he will ever be the consistant sack threat that he once was and there is no reason to pay him as if he is still going to produce on an all star level. If he does restructure for less, we can hopefully leave room for incentives and I would love to have him prove me wrong but its not likely.
    pancakeman likes this.
  8. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,320 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I think Ware absolutely can regain some of his former dominance. Unfortunately, that would most likely happen as an OLB in a 3-4, not as a DE in a 4-3.

For both his and the Cowboy's sake, they should part ways.
  9. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,640 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    Now that is just downright depressing
    Air Force One likes this.
  10. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,120 Messages
    1,147 Likes Received
    Weatherman is asked, "is it going to rain today"? ... He answers, maybe yes, maybe no. Same as 50% ? Lol
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    no offense but your terrible memeory is meaningless to anyone but you.
    adamjt13 has provided stats that show Ware has been the BEST overall pass rusher in the 4th quarter of games with teams under 7 points in differential for years now.

ware's tail off the previous 18 games is very real but so was his overall dominance for about 5 years before that.
    he really had no peer those 5 seasons.
    dragon_mikal and Idgit like this.
  12. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    I hope he stands his ground, we need to get rid of older players who aren't worth what they make any more.
    lane likes this.
  13. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,039 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    Didn't he intercept a pass in the first game of the 2013 season against the Giants that was a difference maker?
  14. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Game was tied at 0-0 in the first quarter, not sure how that is considered "crunch time".
  15. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Sarcasm?
  16. RW31

RW31 Active Member

296 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Be gone.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,603 Messages
    3,136 Likes Received
    Plus year in and year out, Ware has been one of the best OLB/DE in the NFL vs the run. He usually gets no accolades from the fan base for this part of his game... Spencer suffered the same malady.
    JPM likes this.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,871 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    Ah, gotta love this stuff. With Romo its, he cant do it in do or die games. Or win or go home games. Or games that matter most. Or elimination games. Blah, blah, blah. And with Ware its, he doesnt do it in the parts of games that matter most. Or when it really counts. Or crunch time. Blah, blah, blah.

Ware could have 4 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 tipped passes, 10 QB pressures, 14 tackles, stuff 4 runs for a loss, 12 QB knock downs, and an INT, but if he doesnt get a sack in the last 2:00 mins of the game he doesnt come thru when it counts. Not that any thing he would have done in the first 58:00 mins of the game did anything to help put the team in a position to win, its just the last 2:00 that are meaningful. Yep, the Twilight Zone never disappoints with the stellar insight.
    dragon_mikal likes this.
  19. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,871 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    Very true!
  20. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    It's all about sack numbers.