1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFL.com: QB Talk Stirs Controversy

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,501 Messages
    1,788 Likes Received
    Quarterback feedback favors Brady, Favre

By Vic Carucci
    National Editor, NFL.com

(June 28, 2004) -- Nothing does more to stoke the fire of football debate than to voice a strong opinion or two about quarterbacks.

I dared to walk that "treacherous" path, in my June 25 "Ask Vic" column, by responding to the following question: "Who do you think is the best active quarterback in the NFL?"

My pick was Peyton Manning.

The mere listing of his, or any quarterback's, name would have been enough to prompt heavy reader feedback. But I managed to further agitate the masses by mentioning that on my elite short list of quarterbacks, Manning was a notch above Tom Brady and Steve McNair, and that based on present-day skills, all three ranked ahead of Brett Favre.

That broke the floodgates of disagreement wide open.

Here's a sampling of what readers, most of whom favor Brady or Favre in the top spot, had to say about my point of view:

Colts QB Peyton Manning might produce better numbers ...
    Will Tom Brady ever get the respect he deserves? His accomplishments far outweigh those of Peyton Manning or Steve McNair, but he always seems to fall short of No. 1. It could be because he's not flashy, doesn't have the cannon arm and isn't all over the TV doing commercials and endorsing products. Being out of the limelight (except hoisting a trophy on the main stage of two of the last three Super Bowls) is probably hurting his stock some. It's my opinion that if I were putting together a team, I want the guy that wins, not the guys like Manning or Dan Marino who have careers full of big numbers but were never good enough to get the job done.
    -- Jason

Are you out of your mind saying that Brett Favre is one notch below McNair and Brady? If you are saying that Brady or McNair is better than Favre, then you'd better start watching a lot more Packer games. We will see who gets a first-time ballot to the Hall of Fame when the time comes. Until then, I suggest that you get a good pair of glasses.
    -- Knights

I'm sorry to differ with your pick of the best quarterback. Right now, Tom Brady is the best. Manning lost to the Pats in the AFC title game. Tom will keep collecting those Super Bowl MVPs instead.
    -- Frantheman

Will you correct your quarterback analysis and post it around 6 p.m. ET on Sept. 26 (when the Packers face the Colts at 4:15 p.m. ET) or will you hope that we have forgotten where you placed Mr. Favre?
    -- Tim

How is Manning any better than Brady? Because of his family name? Since Brady entered the league, he is, hands down, the best quarterback. Bill Belichick has made Manning look like a second-string high schooler, game after game, against the Pats. No coach, not one, does that to Brady. Until Manning wins the big one -- or at least gets them to the big one -- he rides in Brady's back seat.
    -- Michael

As far as gunslingers go, I still think Brett Favre is a better gunslinger than all of the other quarterbacks in the league. Favre led the league in touchdown passes and his completion percentage was only two percent lower than Manning's. Also, none of Favre's receivers played consistently. I think it's unfair to compare pocket quarterbacks to scrambling quarterbacks. But as far as pocket gunslingers go, there is no way Favre is not the best at that position.
    -- Ricky

I have to disagree with you on your top quarterback. Manning is a great quarterback, no question. But look at Tom Brady. He can throw the long ball when called upon. He is the best at throwing down the middle 10 to 20 yards. And as you wrote, he has great instincts and can manage a game as good as, if not better than, Peyton. I was at the Patriots' divisional and championship games, and Brady seemed more poised and calm than both McNair and Manning -- not to mention better in the poor weather conditions. Brady also loves to occasionally surprise with a sneak or run, and he's taken off as a receiver once, too. And as much as I'm a Brady fan, I think in a few years you may have a Byron Leftwich or Michael Vick up there (when and if Vick decides to stay in the pocket a bit more). They both have cannons for arms.
    -- Rob

I think that Peyton benefits mostly from a stud wide receiver like Marvin Harrison. McNair, Brady and Favre never really had such a playmaker and still have accomplished the ultimate feat, going to the Super Bowl. I'll be convinced that Peyton is the best only when he makes it to the big show.
    -- Tim, Wisconsin

... but Patriots QB Tom Brady has the wins and the rings.
    In your recent "opinion," you said that Manning, Brady and McNair are better quarterbacks than Brett Favre, who if he plays for a few more years, will undeniably be the best quarterback to ever play the game. None of these three quarterbacks could ever dream of becoming half of what Favre is today. And don't tell me he's too old. Might I remind you of that amazing Monday Night Football game against Oakland (after Favre learned of his father's death). It was perfect. He has been able to step up his game throughout his career. Most quarterbacks would have lost their skills by now and would have been tired of the game, but not Brett. I have agreed with you many times in the past, but you don't know it all.
    -- Derek, Atlanta

Stats are for fantasy and that's the world most sportswriters -- and unfortunately most fans -- live in. But in the real world, it only matters who comes out on top. The Patriots and Tom Brady have given Pats fans a run of a lifetime that will continue for two more years. Tom is the best and will surpass all quarterbacks in NFL history. All he does is WIN. Isn't that what it's all about?
    -- Jack, Andover, Mass.

Your analysis is probably correct except as far as guts and will to win, you have to agree that Brett Favre has no equal. The others on this list are far below Brett when it comes to playing through pain and their desire to do what it takes to win.
    -- Greg, South Dakota

I have to strongly disagree with your assessment that the best quarterback in football is Peyton Manning. I think Tom Brady deserves that honor and here's why: Manning is surrounded by All-Pros on offense. How good would Manning be if the Patriots and Colts swapped running backs and wide receivers from last year? Tom Brady does more with a lot less. He is a natural leader who makes great on-field decisions. Manning pouts when the Colts lose. He may put up better numbers, but all Brady does is win. I would not trade Tom Brady for Peyton Manning even if the Colts gave up their first-round pick for the next three years.
    -- Rick

Ask Vic!
    Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!
    I have to differ with you. The best and most durable quarterback of this era is, by far, Brett Favre. His love and commitment for his team and his fans, and the art of professional football he displays every week are unheard of. Just keep in mind his game against Oakland last year, under a lot of pain and suffering. Who else could have done it? Brett Favre is No. 1. Period.
    -- Fay

If your reader had asked which quarterback is the biggest baby, I would agree with your choice of Peyton Manning. Take a look at films. He flaps his arms, shakes his head, and walks off the field with his head down. And when he makes a mistake, he stomps his feet and cries interference. He'll choke in 2004, just as he did in 2003 and 2002!
    -- Nancy (no fan of Peyton Manning)

I wonder if you'll still have Manning on the top of your list when he retires with nothing on his fingers. And how is it that your "top quarterback" throws three interceptions in an AFC Championship Game? Jake Delhomme showed me more in the Super Bowl than Manning did against the Pats last January. Yeah, I know Manning just secured a huge contract, but that's just a reflection of questionable ownership in my book. Indianapolis can have Peyton and all those "under-center seizures" he does. Maybe you'll want to revise your quarterback standings after opening night.
    -- Deano
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,501 Messages
    1,788 Likes Received
    Ask Vic: D-line dilemmas and QB quizzes

By Vic Carucci
    National Editor, NFL.com

(June 25, 2004) -- We've got mail:

Who do you think is the best active quarterback in the NFL?
    --Connie

In terms of pure quarterbacking skills, I'd have to go with Peyton Manning.

No other quarterback combines his off-the-charts intelligence, ultra-quick release, and incredibly well-polished mechanics. His throwing arm can hold its own with any in the league for strength and accuracy. His work ethic is unparalleled.

I would not say that a whole lot separates Manning from the other quarterbacks I would place on my elite short list, Tom Brady and Steve McNair. Brady's two Super Bowl victories are remarkable, and he might have the best instincts of any quarterback. McNair has a cannon for an arm, excellent mobility, and deserved to share the league's 2003 MVP award with Manning. I actually had him as my sole MVP, but as I study where the respective performances of all active quarterbacks are heading into 2004, I see just enough separation for Manning to stand by himself.

Brett Favre, who long ago established himself as one of the greatest players in NFL history, remains highly effective but now ranks just a notch below Manning, Brady and McNair.

Will NFL officials be calling the secondary coverages as tight as they say they will, and if so, which receivers and quarterbacks should this help and which defenses will be hurt most by it?
    --Chris

Contact beyond five yards from the line of scrimmage will be more tightly enforced. As is typically the case with rules changes or, in this case, points of emphasis, I would suspect the greatest number of such infractions to be called during the preseason and early in the regular season. Part of that will result from an effort to establish greater awareness of the stricter enforcement, and part of that is officials' adjusting to it.

Receivers like Freddie Mitchell may benefit from tighter pass-coverage officiating.
    I can't think of a receiver or a quarterback who wouldn't benefit from tighter officiating of pass coverage. For any receiver, having more room to operate, no matter how small, is an advantage. The passing game is all about separation. Additional space can make a slower receiver play a little bit faster and a smaller receiver play a little bit larger. And any quarterback, when presented with a clearer target, is going to be able to make better and sometimes faster decisions.

Teams whose defensive backs tend to play a tighter, more physical style are likely to have a harder time adjusting. Two that come to mind are the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles. Both are extremely well coached and I would think that that would help in the transition, but there will be somewhat of a learning curve particularly where younger players (such as those who will be starting for the Eagles) are concerned.

If Leonard Little doesn't play this season because of being charged with a felony, who do you see starting on the D-line for the Rams? Let's not forget Grant Wistrom leaving to go to Seattle.
    --Matt

My sense is that Larry Marmie, the Rams' new defensive coordinator, would like to frequently rotate his linemen to keep the freshest legs possible on the field. I also understand that part of that rotation would have a tackle move to an end position, creating a larger front four that would hold up well against the run and also be able to collapse the pocket in pass-rush situations.

The Rams took a step to shore up their tackle spot by signing veteran free agent Bernard Holsey from the Washington Redskins. Holsey will enter training camp as a backup to Damione Lewis. Others in the Rams' tackle mix are Brian Howard, a rookie free agent from Idaho, and David Thompson, a former member of the Cleveland Browns' practice squad.

Chris Simms is going on his second year. Do you think he'll ever get his chance now that Brian Griese is with Tampa Bay?
    --Francisco

Absolutely. The third-round draft pick that the Buccaneers invested in Simms in 2003 was done with an eye toward him eventually becoming their starter. I don't think Griese's arrival changes that.

Simms has spent considerable time this offseason working with the Bucs' coaches, and has shown a great deal of progress in his development. "The playbook has become a whole lot easier for me," he told the St. Petersburg Times. "Last year, I was really learning on the fly. This year, I really got to study things and take a second look. It helped me a lot."

Unlike his rookie training camp, he will be viewed as more of a challenger to starter Brad Johnson. I also would suspect that Simms has a better chance than Griese of entering the season as the Bucs' No. 2 quarterback.

How are the Raiders going to be able to utilize Warren Sapp and Ted Washington in the 3-4 scheme? It seems to me the best way to utilize their talent would be to run the 4-3 scheme.
    --Rudy

Remember, the Raiders' new defensive coordinator is former New England Patriots linebackers coach Rob Ryan, who has a strong background putting together multiple looks that involve a wide variety of personnel.

With the Pats, Ryan played a key role in helping coach Bill Belichick and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel devise a scheme that used a 3-4 base but incorporated many different alignments. I don't think Ryan will have a problem finding ways to put Sapp and Washington on the field at the same time, and I would envision situations where Sapp could line up as an end while Washington works in the middle, or situations where Sapp and Washington are tackles and linebackers line up as ends.

Being a Kentucky fan, I had the privilege to watch Jared Lorenzen for four years. I was always amazed at his playmaking ability, despite his size, and his arm strength. I know the Giants have several quarterbacks on their roster. How is he doing so far and is there any chance that he'll make any roster?
    --Jeremy

I'd have to put him in the long-shot category. Tom Coughlin, the Giants' coach, has publicly voiced concern over Lorenzen carrying too much weight. That would seem to give him an additional burden in an already-difficult challenge to win the third quarterback spot behind Kurt Warner and Eli Manning.

Returning backup Jesse Palmer would figure to have an edge in landing the No. 3 role, but the front-runner could very well turn out to be Ryan Van Dyke, who had an impressive NFL Europe season with the Cologne Centurions. Either way, Lorenzen might find himself at the bottom of the list of five quarterbacks entering training camp and would need to be exceptional in limited practice appearances to move up the depth chart.
  3. AJM1613

AJM1613 New Member

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Patriots fans[IMG]